PDA

View Full Version : Off center

bowl-basher
27th April 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi All
Decided to have a go at an off center turning
finished up with this candle holder, The timber is a Camphor laurel and I used 2 of centers at 12mm each side of center the finish is EEE +Glow friction polish
I found the hadest thing was to not leave tool marks on the tansition from one center to the next the best result was useing my 3/4 spindle gouge
(and a fair bit of 80 grit) quite pleased with the result mig get a bit more ambitious next time

rsser
27th April 2008, 06:04 PM
Nice work BB.

... next time try slowing down the lathe so the tool follows the form more closely; you get a better transition.

weisyboy
27th April 2008, 07:29 PM
looks good to me bb

i would say slow down the lathe just a little and try it with 2 transitions next time.

nay progress with that lump of mango yet?

rsser
27th April 2008, 09:20 PM
Don't you read previous posts Carl?

bowl-basher
27th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Carl for remining me
The Mango blank scared the hell out of my lathe (and me) so I decided to cut a strip 60MM of 2 sides the guys at the club grabed some small ofcuts and they are now rather nice pens the small black mark on the lower half of the bowl gave me a few moments there were 2 nails twisted together put a nice ding in the bowl gouge they were 15mm under the surface must have been there for a long time
thanks for asking
Bowl basher

weisyboy
27th April 2008, 10:38 PM
rsser.

yes and i was agreeing with u should have i asked permition?

BB

that turned out realy nice i always like to see what became of what i send. what about the purple gidgee.

bowl-basher
27th April 2008, 10:44 PM
:o:o:oStill working on the gidgee carn't quite work out how to turn concrete boy that stuff is hard

artme
28th April 2008, 08:01 AM
Good one BB. Great finish.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Saw ademo of Oc turning on Satur day. Looks easy.:D:D:D