PDA

View Full Version : sanding captive rings on a goblet

Anne Munro
27th April 2008, 09:38 PM
I have nearly finished turning my second matching goblet. They are both to be an engagement present for my niece and her fiancee. I have managed to produce two captive rings on each of them. My question is how do I sand and finish the captive rings. They are fairly thin and I am frightened I may break them if I try to sand them on the lathe. I hand sanded the first one and it looks a bit ordinairy. I am sure there must be a better way which will not break them. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Anne

mick61
27th April 2008, 11:12 PM
`day anne you should have sanded both sides of the ring before you completed cutting the rings off then put sandpaper between ring and stem with lathe off run the ring over the sandpaper ie twist the ring around the stem going through the grades then finish the stem and base.Hope that makes sense.

Frank&Earnest
27th April 2008, 11:27 PM
Yep. Photo to illustrate what Mick said, being understood that the "stem" is not thinned yet at this stage.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=61045&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1196053111 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=61045&d=1196053111)

robyn2839
27th April 2008, 11:31 PM
i wrapped material around the stem leaving about 5ml clearance around the inside of ring then i wrapped sandpaper around the material and sanded one then taped to end then done the other,worked ok then wrap more material around to make tight fit for rings then sand outsides.........bob

Anne Munro
28th April 2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. What you say makes perfect sense although it is now a little late as the rings are off 'the mothership' and the stem of the goblet is quite narrow. That is not a problem as I am learning all the time. The second goblet is far better than the first one is. So I am always improving.
cheers Anne

mick61
28th April 2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the pic frank to explain what I meant.Anne you can still sand the rings like I said even though you have finished it will just be more difficult.Make a jam chuck for the goblet to sit in so you have more control of what you are trying to do.Goodluck
Mick:D

Hickory
28th April 2008, 11:52 AM
Like the others said, but each of us has a different technique, I take a piece of masking tape and secure one end of a strip of sandpaper to the stem and let it fly around like a "Flapper sander" Wrap the paper around the stem then locat the ring over it holding it in your fingers, turn on the lathe and let it do the work. Sand slower than you turn.