PDA

View Full Version : Small milling job in Vic - anyone interested?

dvdhack
28th April 2008, 09:12 PM
I've posted some info on the Oak tree already in another thread but now I have decided to take the logs - still unseen.

The logs are in Taggerty - north of Buxton. Apparently 3 main logs between 600mm and 900mm in diameter. I will winch them onto my trailer - prob two trips involved and can deliver anywhere between Taggerty and Kyneton (where I live). In any case I will have to go back to pickup finished timber unless it can be done on the day. Prefer to deliver close as its prob a greater amount than I'll need to pick up due to waste. (I notice DJ's in Warburton)

I wanted to mill the timber to make furniture and a possibly the kitchen for my new house. I'm open to recommendations for milling sizes.

I would prefer flexibility in delivering timber on the weekend as its the best time for me to meet the guy who has the tree.

If someone wants to discuss please PM me your details.

Thanks and Regards

Ralf

Calm
28th April 2008, 09:41 PM
Pm sent

DJ’s Timber
28th April 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm happy to help you out Ralf, am flexible with times and can also help to shift it as well, not to mention that like you said, I'm in Warbie which is around the corner.

Will send PM

DJ’s Timber
29th April 2008, 08:04 PM
Hey Ralf, has your mate up at Taggerty have a Front End Loader?

Sigidi
29th April 2008, 09:24 PM
All I can say is post some pics:)

dvdhack
30th April 2008, 09:42 AM
No FEL up there DJ - 3pt linkage on the tractor is all. I plan to lift one end onto the trailer using he 3pt and then lift the other end up and reverse the trailer underneath. The way its described to me I may not even get any loaded this weekend - I need to clear all the branches cut the trunks to length and clear a way through for the trailer.

I'll keep you informed

DJ’s Timber
30th April 2008, 11:20 AM
Another way of loading it is to use a steel ramp and and using the tractor as a winch by dragging the log it can be dragged up the ramp and on to the trailer. See attached diagram.

Got a heavy-duty ramp that we use for picking up logs, its just a bit of 200mm or 250mm channel with a stop on it so it doesn't get dragged onto the trailer as well.

dvdhack
5th May 2008, 10:06 AM
I went to Taggerty yesterday to have a look, unfortunately I forgot my camera.

I didnt come home with a log as I'd hoped but left my trailer there. My mate has engaged some people to remove the tree - it spli down the middle and fell 4 directions - it covers about 40m in each directionand the best logs are smack in the middle, impossible to move until the rest is cut away.

There is one log that is about 80-90cm in diameter and about 8-9m in length. I will have that one cut at 3m at its thickest and bring that back here to slab. The remainder will be cut to abot 2.5-2.7m in length to take to DJ's for milling.

There are also large logs still in the air that were hard to measure but they would be 450-600mm diameter and I will have as many of those sectioned to take to DJ.

THe guys doing the cutting are going to bring a FEL to lift the logs - impossible there to handle them anyother way. They have a truck and can take it away.

I've never seen anything that big on the ground before - amazing and sad.

weisyboy
7th May 2008, 08:05 PM
the easyest way to load a trailer is from the side using teh tractor as a winch.

lay 2 boards up the side of the trailer to act as a ramp, tie one end of a rope to teh side of the trailer wrap it around the log and back over the top of the trailer to the tractor, as you drive the tractor away it will roll the log up onto the trailer. this is the way logs have been loaded onto trucks and wagons beafore there were front end loaders and all that.

peice of cake? if not i can do a drawing for you.

dvdhack
7th May 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks Weisyboy

What could be easier for the guys cutting it up to load it with their front end loader? :D At my end I can unload with my front end loader. But I take the point for future retrievals.

The issue with loading on the weekend was there was no way to access the logs until a few days of chainsawing was done to clear the other limbs. This tree was absolutely huge. My mates tractor is an old Massey - its not really got the pulling power to pull 2T. It would weigh less than the log.

I'd be a bit worried about the technique you describe if I have it correct in my mind. Wouldnt the log fall over the side onto the tray? That would be a 12" fall of a log weighing 2T at least - it might do some damage to the trailer I'd have thought. Also do you risk damaging the guards? Drawing would be great.