PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Support Beams

Ivan in Oz
30th April 2008, 08:45 PM
G'day ppl,

I have submitted plans for the Toilet/Shower Combo in my Garage/Shed.
The Inspector OKed them.

This area has the Internal Measurments [ Wall to Wall ] of 2050mm by 2500mm.
What other options do I have for Ceiling support over this short span [2050mm] ?

I most likely will use 450mm Stud centres, Steel frame, [75mm Steel Top Plate] Villaboard internal lining.
Don't know what external lining I'll use, not yet anyhow.

DaveD-75
30th April 2008, 10:06 PM
90x35 P10 will span that easily @ up to 600crs. Not sure what options you have with steel as I'm just an old truss detailer :q

Ivan in Oz
1st May 2008, 08:29 AM
Ta Dave,

But I'd like to keep it Steel.....Sorry to the Purists.... Though the Shed will be used for inclusive of WoodWorking.

Steel frame because of the Possible Termite issues.

Thinking of one of these below; supported by the Walls.
Then Zinc or Gal Ceiling Batons at 600mm Centers, perpendicular; going the 2500 length.
http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/product/lysaght-topspan-61
or
http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/product/lysaght-topspan-120

Best I take my own advice I often give:-

Go see the Local Building Inspector......

Gaza
1st May 2008, 06:22 PM
why dont use commerical grade metal stud and track by a company such as rondo.

studs go at 600mm centers, bottom track is fixed to slab ad top is fixed to ceiling framing.

villaboard in side is ok why dont you sheet the out side with plywood so that you can hang tools or jigs on it.

make sure you put blocking behind villaboard wall sheets to take you trowel rails and totilet roll holder, plus a timber pecie in the back of the jamb stud at the door way so you have something to screw your jamb too.

Ivan in Oz
1st May 2008, 08:42 PM
Ta Gaza,
I'm going Rondo.

There is no ceiling at the moment;
just the Shed Roof and a couple of Trusses @ where the ends of the walls are....I mean WILL BE.
See if I can post a Pic?

ArrHHH!!!!

Unable to get rid of all the megs:(:no:

skot
3rd May 2008, 10:18 PM
Ivan,
The toilet in my shed (see below) is 2400x1900 and the builders used 100x50 'C' Section spanning the 2400 distance to fix the ceiling to.

Ivan in Oz
4th May 2008, 02:15 AM
Ivan,
The toilet in my shed is 2400x1900 and the builders used 100x50 'C' Section spanning the 2400 distance to fix the ceiling to.

Thank you Skot,

You have just reminded me
that I have some Gal. 100x50 'C' Section @ 2500 under the House:doh:
What spacing were they at?