PDA

View Full Version : New at woodturning

DarkWolfz
30th April 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey I'm kind of new to woodturning.

At the moment at school I'm making a mini baseball kind of thing. I have a fair bit of fun. I'm just messing around. I'm nearly finished all i have to do is do the end of the handle and do the top of the bat.

I'm interested in getting a wood lathe so i can start doing some stuff at home. I'll probably con one of my relations into getting me one for my birthday. What is the best price for a decent one? Or one that actually works lmfao

mobjack68
30th April 2008, 11:42 PM
Hey DarkWolfz, welcome to woodturning!! I was a "shop rat" when I was in school...we had morning and afternoon school sessions and I would stay and ride the late bus. Both of the shop teachers "tolerated" me and I managed to spend a TON of time making shavings and trying bunches of different things on the wood lathe. They also offered a great deal of experience and expertise when they appraised my work. Because of them I still "turn my stuff over and turn a foot" they never let me cheat with flat bottoms!!! Keep at it and post some pics of your projects..

artme
1st May 2008, 12:13 AM
G'day dark one! thought you'd been kidnapped!
What happened to that other project?
How much would you think should be spent on a lathe for your good self?
Really good brand new say Vicmarc VL300 = $6,000 give or take.
Small Jet new = about $400.
Good 2nd hand good lathe any where in between.
Troll through the forum and see opinions and prices, after you decide what type of turning you are likely to want to do.
Have lots of fun!!:D:D:D

DarkWolfz
1st May 2008, 08:59 AM
Where would be the best places to buy them. And is the GMC Wood Lathe at Bunnings any good?

And how much are the chisels or whatever they are called for the lathe?

Artme i haven't even really started the other project. I'm still waiting on more money for the wood lol. I want to get Tassie Oak. Also i have to find somewhere to get it :P So in the mean time I've turned to wood turning :U

Calm
1st May 2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.cws.au.com/persistent/catalogue_images/products/Picture%20025.jpgHere is a good lathe -new - that you can do a lot on. Jim Carroll has it for $1500

http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107452285

I think you are better to keep away from the GMC and those cheaper lathes, rather than spend $400 on a new one you will get a much better lathe second hand for $500 and probably get some tools and chucks etc at the same time.

My opinion is you want speed range from under 300 to about 2000 or 2500.

Get your parents to take you for a drive to Jim Carrolls shop in Drysdale (just past Geelong) one weekend and talk to him. He would be happy to show you what to look for in a lathe.

Stay away from the GMC and likes you will quickly only get frustrated that you cant do what you want to do.

Hope this helps. If you wnat to come try mine feel free to send a PM

artme
1st May 2008, 09:46 AM
Wouldn't touch a Gmc lathe with a barge pole.

Are you near a good library? If so go and check up on their supply of woodworking/woodturning books. Mike Darlow and Richard Raffan will be good starting points for ideas on lathes.
Calm's suggestion is very worthwhile.I haven't met Jim personally but he has always been extremely helpful on theses forums and via emails.Everyones speaks highly of Jim.
As I said before, search these forum threads. Plenty has been written one lathes, their strengths and weaknesses, prices and preference.
Good luck.