PDA

View Full Version : Scotchguarding

Craig W
1st May 2008, 05:38 AM
Just wondering if it's worth scotchguarding. I'm picking up a new lounge next week and they offer scotchguarding and a five year warranty against rips cuts and stains etc. for my new lounge. This however comes at a price, $300. Is this a rip off? I can get 3m scotchguard from my local Bunnings for like $20, it would last for around 3 months per can. The only thing is that it wouldnt be covered for rips cuts and stains. I do have a 1 1/2 year old running around but that seems like a lot of coin.

For those who don't know:
Scotchgard is a 3M brand of products used to protect fabric, furniture, and carpets. Like other fluorochemicals, Scotchgard is mostly inert, so by applying it to fabric, the fabric can be protected from stains and soiling.

billym
1st May 2008, 04:51 PM
I have used scotchg on some chairs and the seats of dinning set and it has worked fine.I bought a recliner about three years ago and had them SG it and I feel it is a little better than the spray . I guess it come down to $$$ but with toddlers and ice cream . LOLUCK:)

Cruzi
2nd May 2008, 02:32 AM
Be very, very careful spraying that stuff, it will coat your lungs and kill you, in minutes, not years.

We nearly lost a worker quite a few years back, we used to apply another brand of fabric protection to cars and he decided not wear his respirator. He went blue and damn near died, spent six weeks in hospital.

Calm
2nd May 2008, 08:21 AM
I guess it come down to $$$ but with toddlers and ice cream . LOLUCK:)

Its a lounge suite isnt it.

Better idea - kids and food stay in the kitchen/dining room - no food in the lounge and the problemis solved. no running jumping shoes on teh lounge suite is another good idea. Also eating together as a family promotes good family values/communication. Disapline never did any damage to any kid, teach them while they are young.

david hops off soapbox

neilb
5th May 2008, 06:41 PM
Lets get to the bottom of "Scotchgarding". Being in the trade, scotchgard out of the can is practically useless after a couple of weeks. There is not anywhere near enough pressure to force the liquid into the fabric. Instead it "sits" on top of the fabric and soon is worn off by general use.

Fact : Scotchgarding , pro applied or not is only designed to give you a few minutes grace to get up and clean up whatever may be spilt on the cover. If you leave it too long it will still soak into the fibres. As far as rips, tears or mishaps it does NOT protect any fabric from them in any way shape or form

Fact : Scotchgarding is meant to be re-applied after a period of time according to the amount of use that the fabric is subjected to. Usually pro applied will give you no more than a year.

You can buy the scotchgard and apply it by spray gun and apply it yourself, but WARNING - WEAR APPROPRIATE HEAD / BREATHING PROTECTION. THIS IS A VERY POTENT MIXTURE.

Neil.

Ali G
8th May 2008, 12:53 AM
I had a bad experience with a " pro " and his scotch guard. I had a customer wanting a scotch guard on a lounge I made her, the fabric colour was called "Butterscotch" so you could imagine it was a yellow colour, anyhow this guy came out and did his thing, we checked afterwards and it had left an oily residue stain on the areas where he had done a heavy application, seats, arms & back.

We called him back and he was able to repair it but it left me wondering if I would recomend him or his product again.

The word is it's worth doing but does need re-aplication. I personally wouldn't bother with it, but for me recovering after a couple of years is no big deal.