PDA

View Full Version : getting sails and sailing lessons

chad
1st May 2008, 08:16 AM
Hi, I am building a GIS here in the UK. Plans are fantastic, build is going much faster than expected. All the materials are easy enough to source, but rather than have a sail custom made, do you know of a sailmaker who already makes the lugsail to your spec. and who could send me one? I am sure the Skiff will set sail this year (better book sailing lessons) as the hull is finished apart from the paint and varnish.
Also, is anyone out there in the UK with/building a Skiff?

Boatmik
1st May 2008, 10:43 AM
Howdy Chad,

I will track down some of my UK contacts and find some good sailmakers.

Booking some sailing lessons with RYA is a really good idea. It would give you about a two year head start compared to learning by yourself. If you go that way, make sure the lessons are in small boats and not yachts. Having ballast holding the boat up is good for feelings of security but not so good if you want to learn quickly.

The RYA courses (Royal Yachting Association) are well structured. You just go along until you reach the level you want to.
http://www.ryatraining.org/findacentre/

Do you have any pics of the boat you can put up here? If you want you can email them to me (email address on the plan cover) and I can put them up for you - but the method is pretty easy once you work it out.

Best wishes
Michael

Boatmik
1st May 2008, 11:17 AM
Howdy All,

In Australia the sailing courses that are very similar are run by the AYF (Australian Yachting Federation) and are very similar to the British ones.

As much as I think the political objectives of the AYF have been a spectacular failure for grass roots sailing the sailing lessons are a great facility.

And they even show all the courses around Australia on a neat calendar
http://www.yachting.org.au/calendar/default.asp?Type=Training%20Course

Look for ones at a club that concentrates on dinghies - by far the best way to learn for most people. They also have courses for more yacht oriented skills, however the way to learn fast and well is in small boats.

Best wishes
Michael Storer