PDA

View Full Version : Some insert style clocks

Chipman
2nd May 2008, 12:57 AM
I got interested again in woodwork after many years away from it by making clocks as gifts.

My first clock was a grandfather clock but that was too expensive to keep doing so I switched to making insert clocks. I like to design my own. Here is a sample of some I have made over the last few years.

Chipman

wheelinround
2nd May 2008, 09:00 AM
Chipman all are excellent:2tsup:

billym
2nd May 2008, 09:07 AM
the all look great.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bob38S
2nd May 2008, 12:09 PM
Very nice indeed. Keep designing and sharing - thanks.

I'm sure that those who have received one of these as a gift have something truly unique.

Regards,
Bob

artme
2nd May 2008, 02:08 PM
Excellent variety and workmanship Chipman!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ravlord13
2nd May 2008, 05:11 PM
As all above have said. :brava

Catch ya
Andrew

Chipman
2nd May 2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and comments. I really appreciate the contributors on these forums who gladly offer their expertise and wisdom. If you would like a profile drawing of any of these clocks you can always contact me. I have attached one for anyone who is interested... it is the picture of the micro redgum clock and blackwood medium clock.

Chipman:):):)

Bob38S
2nd May 2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Chipman - I'm not a clockmaker by design but was very taken by your examples.

You mentioned gifts originally and this did take my interest. How have you done the finishing as they look really great. Finishing is what I look forward to with the most dread.

Regards,
Bob

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 09:50 PM
wow:o.

i seem to be aying that a lot lately.

Chipman
2nd May 2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Chipman - I'm not a clockmaker by design but was very taken by your examples.

You mentioned gifts originally and this did take my interest. How have you done the finishing as they look really great. Finishing is what I look forward to with the most dread.

Regards,
Bob

All these clocks have been spray finished with WATTYL stylewood lacquer. Some with 95% gloss and others with 30% gloss.
I sand them smooth to 400 grit then give a couple of coats. Then I use 800 wet and dry paper and lightly sand again. Then a couple of coats more and finally wax them. If a want a really glossy finish, I will give it a cut and polish as used in automotive painting. Avoid silicon based products if you can.

If I had access to sanding sealer, then I would have used that for the first couple of coats.

Some are stained as well. I always use and oil based stain and sand or burnish it in and this is the real secret of getting a good finish as it fills the pores in the grain with the sanding slurry. With the redgum clock it had several burnishings with Danish oil to keep a clear finish.

I usually leave them for a week to let the oil dry properly before spraying with lacquer. When sanding between lacquer coats great care is needed to avoid cutting through the lacquer and stain!

Everyone has there own way of doing things but this is how these were done.

Regards,

Chipman:)

Bob38S
3rd May 2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your ideas.

Regards,
Bob

Swifty
3rd May 2008, 09:18 PM
:2tsup:Chipman, so glad you got back into making clocks again - those are a real treat to see! Thanks for posting them!

Regards
Luke