PDA

View Full Version : too simple

underfoot
2nd May 2008, 05:02 PM
OK, not really a tool or jig but

1 speaker magnet on the drill press = no lose chuck key

silentC
2nd May 2008, 05:05 PM
I've got one on the bandsaw too that holds the allan's key used to adjust the guides and a stubby screwdriver to open the door.

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2008, 05:12 PM
It has been mentioned before but I'll cover it again.
I wreck dead HDDs for the magnets.
They are very slim & very strong.
I have them stuck all over the place holding chuck keys, steel rulers, allan keys, dividers, various centres & knock out bars for my lathe etc. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd May 2008, 05:34 PM
I've got one on the bandsaw too that holds the allan's key used to adjust the guides and a stubby screwdriver to open the door.

A word of caution: don't use a rare earth magnet on the BS top cover to hold the allen key, etc. Trust me on this.

(I wasted hours wondering why my BS tracked beautifully with the cover open, but as soon as I shut it the blade started creeping forward off the top wheel... :B)

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2008, 05:42 PM
:D

What did you say when you worked it out?

IanW
2nd May 2008, 06:49 PM
:D

Probably something like:
"Well, oil beef hooked"
:U

Are you serious Skew, or indulging in a bit of leg-pulling? You must have some seriously powerful REMs.........

hitch
2nd May 2008, 07:08 PM
What are HDD's - Live or dead?

wheelinround
2nd May 2008, 08:53 PM
As Skew said magnets can cause trouble leave on a screw driver for a few days and see what happens it will pick up fine shavings as well as hold screws weakly.

Over time the stronger the magnet the more it will magnetise what its attached to.

Putting them near roller bearings on headstocks will eventually magnetise the bearings and attract shavings. Speaker magnets are strong like what Underfoot is using it will pull the bearings towards it.

I have seen this in gear boxes in heavy vehicles that have had magnetic sump plugs :doh:

The ones Cliff's using from HDD are really great strong as blazes.:U

wheelinround
2nd May 2008, 08:55 PM

Computer Hard Drives better use the dead ones unless so old they are useless for anything else.

IanW
2nd May 2008, 08:55 PM

Hard disc drives

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2008, 02:18 PM

Pared down to something suitable to repeat in public, it went along the lines of... "D'OH!" :doh:

Are you serious Skew, or indulging in a bit of leg-pulling? You must have some seriously powerful REMs.........

Pretty powerful, yes, but not so powerful as to be unusual. It doesn't take much to get my blade wandering off the wheel's crown. [sigh]

silentC
5th May 2008, 09:31 AM
A word of caution: don't use a rare earth magnet on the BS top cover to hold the allen key, etc.
It's on the column well away from the blade and any other moving parts.

As Skew said magnets can cause trouble leave on a screw driver for a few days and see what happens it will pick up fine shavings as well as hold screws weakly.
The screw driver is a stubby that I use only for opening the doors. I try to avoid having metal shavings anywhere near my woodworking machinery in general. Not good for the blades :)

wheelinround
5th May 2008, 10:04 AM
Some years ago when PC's first started coming out many people had trouble with Hard drives and CD rom's either dying for no reason or slow to get started.

A design fault was found that in many PC boxes the motherboard speaker was in close proximity or attached to the carrier of the Hard drives the PC speaker was radiating a magnetic field strong enough to cause damage over time.:doh:

Sound systems all advise not to put CD's Records or Tapes on speaker boxes for the same reason..

SC where does the very fine shaving of metal go that your saw teeth looses over time and drill bits grinding dust:?

silentC
5th May 2008, 10:35 AM
If you can find visible bits of metal from a blade or drill after working on wood then you really should look at the quality of your tools mate.

Alastair
5th May 2008, 12:20 PM
Have a stack of them in the shed.

Hold my lathe chisels in the rack.

Holds chuck key on drill press.

Several small ones sit on the head and tail stock of lathe. Verniers, calipers, keys etc now no longer fall off.

Fitted into the end of aircon flexible ducting, holds it exactly on lathe bed to extract sanding dust.

Used against a metal door lintel to hold curtain to contain dust.

On bandsaw cabinet, stops rip fence and mitre guide vibrating onto floor.

I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned, (or else have not found them significant)

Reminder to self, get some more............

regards

jmk89
5th May 2008, 12:34 PM
I tend not to use magnets for storage of tools - if I hang something, I tend to use a shelf with holes in it or cut outs. That's how my chisels and screwdrivers are organised. There are usually enough iron filings around my workshop to make magnetised tools somewhat irritating....

I also use those expanding clips for things like the chuck key on the DP. This thread reminded me to buy a couple more72778

silentC
5th May 2008, 12:50 PM
I think we're getting away from the specifically useful purpose of locating chuck keys and other machine-specific objects within easy reach and into a more general discussion of storing tools. I would certainly not be hanging chisels or other tools to be used in bench work on magnets. The last thing you want is a chisel that wants to stick to nails or small screws or anything.

On the subject of iron filings, swarf etc, again I wouldn't want any of that stuff near my woodworking bench because it's likely to embed itself in whatever I'm working on.

Big Shed
5th May 2008, 01:11 PM
I use one of those 90/45 deg welding magnets on my drill press to hold the chuck key and have never found any problems with metal filings/swarf at all.

Caliban
5th May 2008, 07:03 PM
It's on the column well away from the blade and any other moving parts.

The screw driver is a stubby that I use only for opening the doors. I try to avoid having metal shavings anywhere near my woodworking machinery in general. Not good for the blades :)

Darren
I think you've completely missed his intended point. I doubt he was referring to that particular screwdriver.:rolleyes:

silentC
6th May 2008, 09:45 AM
Anything's possible. :p

hazard
12th May 2008, 02:36 PM
A great source of magnets are the ring manets from microwave magnatrons. 2 from each unit I recycle. The rest goes to the scrapyard for tool money.
Regards Hazard:)