PDA

View Full Version : gloat better than the rest.

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 06:53 PM
especialy bowl bashers:2tsup:

picked up some shee oak logs today a tree feller mate offerd me a few weeks back.

when he said a few shee oak logs i thaught he ment the little ones that i normaly get found 200mm dia and 1m long. and never thaught thered be this many.
average 500mm by 2.4m

im a verry happy chappie:D.

any idea on what type it is?
the seedthinkys look like little stary things and the needles hang down if this helps

funkychicken
2nd May 2008, 07:09 PM
Lucky!

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 07:19 PM
close up of the end grain.

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 07:19 PM
Why GLOAT over them theres nothing to gloat over, there to long you can't make bowls that size you have to go to the trouble of moving them all that wieght to shift then you have to get a chainsaw out of the box and cut them up into smaller pieces then find the room to put it wax and seal the ends for what, No not worth the bother.
Now i could save you a lot of messing around being a nice guy i could take it all of your hands, i have a good chainsaw.:D some people are just bums:pnice one i like getting wood this way:2tsup:just got a load of apple and cedar last weekend..LB

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 07:22 PM
ya can have all you want if ya can get here before tomorow lunch time:D.

BobL
2nd May 2008, 08:59 PM
Nice score, have you got end sealer on them? If not I'd look at doing it asap.

Can't wait to see the slabs!

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 09:14 PM
ya can have all you want if ya can get here before tomorow lunch time:D.
Mean real mean:p what times the next plane, get your saw out.:doh: Have to be a quick vist though:D LB

Stu in Tokyo
2nd May 2008, 09:19 PM
.............any idea on what type it is?

Easy, the is the best kind of wood............. FREE :D :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2008, 09:25 PM
Nice score Carl, don't leave them for to long thought, she oak needs to be milled asap.

dai sensei
2nd May 2008, 09:26 PM
Beauty :2tsup: Not sure what Sheoak, there are so many, but that center grain looks great.

Don't forget post photos after they are milled.

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 09:45 PM
ends are sealed and it will be milled as soon as my mill is operational again.

i also need a new saw so it may not be for a month or so.

most will go into woodturning blanks, bowls etc but the bigger long ones will make nice slabs.

artme
2nd May 2008, 11:34 PM
Careful Carl! that stuph warps and twists, checks and splits. I know, I've had some experience so send it to me!:D:D:p:p

woodwork wally
3rd May 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Carl Yep thats sheoak and it comes up mighty pretty in bowls and other turnings:):) . Very prone to splitting if not dealt with quickly but manalive i"d take the risk of a bit of splitting with that much You will eat up the wax on that lot mate BLUDDYBUTY:2tsup::2tsup: regards WW.Wally

woodwork wally
3rd May 2008, 06:28 PM
Hi again I was that excited over the sheoak I forgot to tell you it is botanically a "cassurina " I think I got the spelling right. very common in the wild down here and on the western district and wimmera/ mallee plains and hills Cheers WW Wally

flynnsart
3rd May 2008, 10:21 PM
See if you can find a couple of seed pods and I will try and get proper id for you.

donna

weisyboy
4th May 2008, 10:01 AM
i ahd some but lost them on the way home

i will try to get somne next time im round that way.

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 08:10 PM
dose this help?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73118

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73119

flynnsart
9th May 2008, 08:41 PM
:rofl:Carl, I hate to tell you this, but that isnt a seed pod!:no:

Donna

Sawdust Maker
9th May 2008, 08:57 PM
... but not a bad looking bowl :2tsup:
turned wet or older timber?

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 09:20 PM
its wet and i am waiting for it to crack open.