PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Mrs Woodpecker
2nd May 2008, 07:56 PM
We are going to the Bris Woodshow with the intention of buying a new lathe. My little second-hand jet mini has been great fun, but I am restricted with what I can do at home. We are looking at the following and would appreciate some comments please.
Woodfast WM-910
Carbatec CT 25650
Jet 1642.

Thanks,
Shirley

lubbing5cherubs
2nd May 2008, 08:19 PM
have a look at nova 16 24 that Jim sells it a great one too. NOt sure what you got to spend but they are around $1500
bye
Toni

funkychicken
2nd May 2008, 08:25 PM
The Jet looks nicer and less chucky than the Woodfast and also has outboard (I think)
The Woodfast is a very solid machine with a good stand.

That's all I know sorry..

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2008, 09:50 PM
If you're looking at around the $3000 mark I would also consider the DVR 3000XP (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884&product_id=1107453265) by Teknatool otherwise the Jet or Woodfast. The swivel heads are also more versatile then a solid head as well.

TTIT
2nd May 2008, 11:28 PM
Hoping to get there myself if I can organize buying a new ute while I'm in town - gotta have something to bring the booty home in :shrug: :U
Was looking at the Jet 1642 myself when I was shopping around - very solid lathe for the money. Don't know a thing about the other 2 though :B

artme
2nd May 2008, 11:31 PM
Toni's suggestion is good!
Jet is a good unit.
Get ont David Drescher at Southeast Queensland Woodworking Supplies also.

Mrs Woodpecker
6th May 2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the info - now all we have to do is check them out and make a decision. Will the new u-beaut ute hold a lathe Vern? (Only joking.) Don has to fly down on Monday for meetings. I fly down on Thurs, so will be at the show on Friday. May see you there.
Cheers,
Shirley

Studley 2436
6th May 2008, 09:14 PM
can you get a lathe on as carry on luggage?

What I reckon being into lathes a bit *LOL* engine lathes though not wood turning lathes. It's my job. Anyway check out the demo lathe and wack it right up to it's top speed. If it roars hums or worst of all starts walking across the floor you can be pretty sure it is not such a great machine and has a balance problem.

It isn't exactly the same field but CNC lathes have been running for over 20 years for small lathes like this at 6000 rpm and you can put a glass of water on the thing and the water will have no ripples! Speeds these days for Milling spindles range from 30,000 to 50,000 RPM! Of course a cutter in a mill's spindle is smaller so must run faster that most jobs in your lathe.

A really good machine will be able to run at full speed and you will be surprised how quiet it is and most importantly how still. Any vibration is the enemy of quality work. Don't be scared just turn it on flat out and then let the salesman talk to you. If he can't talk to you then the machine is not really that good.

Studley

ss_11000
6th May 2008, 09:16 PM
i was in the same situation as you are ( new lathe around 3K ). i came to think it was either the woodfast or the dvr xp.

TTIT
6th May 2008, 09:29 PM
Would have gladly hauled it home for you Shirley but I look like getting the rig delivered now. The Purple Gidgee won't be there now and there's not much else I'm after at the moment - Dave Drescher will be up in June so I'll stock up on goodies then :; Maybe next year :shrug:

Mrs Woodpecker
7th May 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Vern, but I really was joking. I would not expect anyone to do my carrying for me. Is David going to Emerald, or to Calliope?
We may not be able to get what we want at the show antway. Thanks to you all for your advice.
Regards,
Shirley