PDA

View Full Version : spitoon or vase?

BernieP
3rd May 2008, 07:46 PM
G'Day All

Have been following Rsser's thread on deep hollowing with much interest so used the coffee grounds and epoxy filler on this piece of silky oak, then decided to get some practice on faceplate turning. Made a lot of curlies and a lot of practice with spindle gouge. Then I thought don't have hollowing tool so made one out of a allen key, boy what a ride but worked within reason. Next purchase a real hollowing gouge I think. As usual comments good and bad appreciated.

Cheers
Bernie

Claw Hama
3rd May 2008, 08:41 PM
Wild looking piece Bernie.

RufflyRustic
3rd May 2008, 09:21 PM
Cool!! I can imagine it holding a lovely bouquet of Tulips! :2tsup: So I guess I'm voting for a vase :rolleyes::D

littlebuddha
3rd May 2008, 10:55 PM
Bernie What ever works my friend, maybe if you put a shaft give you longer reach. I bought a tyre wrench as it was £2.99 had a solid bar about 12" that extended out of the main tube shaft that was about 14" with a rubber hand grip, i cut the curved end of that held the socket drilled from the side to take a pieace of tool steel i got from ebay and a set screw to hold in place, and it works like a dream. We pay out all this money for hollowing tools and the main piece that counts is the bit that cuts, and at the end of the day your allen key still cuts you just have to sharpen it more often, me im happy to sharpen a tool and save a few bob for other things. But still guilty of buying them dam tools:D, and why spit in a nice little vase stick a flower in it.:2tsup:..LB

joe greiner
3rd May 2008, 11:29 PM
Spit: No; flowers: Yes. And very nice production, especially the thin wall.

Make or buy tools can be an agonizing choice, but making your own provides additional satisfaction. Google in woodworkforums (bottom of page here) for ["oland tool"] for some ideas on hollowing tools. For any offset cutter, torque control can be an adventure. I use a vise-grip pliers on mine.

Joe

Sawdust Maker
4th May 2008, 10:07 AM
Bernie
interesting shape
lovely timber
and now I've seen the coffee and epoxy in action I'll have to get some coffee and try it (I assume we are talking about instant)
definitely a vase in my view

BernieP
4th May 2008, 10:23 AM
G'Day All

Thanks for comments, looks like it will be a vase. Sawdust Maker no if you take a plastic bag to a coffee lounge they will give you some of their grounds (used) and I keep it in a plastic jar, seems to work better than instant, the moisture I think seems to react better with 2 part epoxy.

Cheers
Bernie

artme
4th May 2008, 02:54 PM
In the words of Maxwell Smart:"Very interesting!":2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: