PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool NOVA Acruline System

Pat
5th May 2008, 01:02 PM
As some of you lot know I got an old Teknatool TL-1000-8S lathe. Bullet (Idiot) proof it is, but I have noticed that the Headstock and tail stock do not match. It is about 2 mm out. So I have been wondering if the was any such thing as a double ended 2MT dohicky. Now having a squizz thru the 2008 Teknatool cattledog, there is the dohicky, the NOVA Acruline System . So now the big question is, whom in Australia sells said dohicky? And how many pancakes? Jim?

Teknatool's blurb: NOVA Acruline System
• Stock Code: 2MTNA (2MT)
• A double ended morse taper (available in 2) which can be fitted into the lathes tailstock and headstock spindles. This can be
used to check the alignment of your lathe, and can be used to bring the lathe back into alignment (for those lathes with adjustable tailstocks or headstocks).

It is available online (Seppo 17.99) but I do try to support the locals.

RETIRED
5th May 2008, 01:14 PM
I doubt whether it would work on the 1000 as adjustment is limited on the tailstock without a fair bit of work and non existent on the headstock.

Using 2 centres will get it pretty close.

Pat
5th May 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks , I have tried to get two centres to meet, but cannot consistently do so. So I thought that it may help. If it is available in Australia for a reasonable (less than the cost of a case of beer) cost, it might be worth it. It would not be the first time I have brought something for a use and it has not worked:;

RETIRED
5th May 2008, 04:39 PM
It would not be the first time I have brought something for a use and it has not worked:;

Welcome to the club.:-:)

Jim Carroll
5th May 2008, 08:34 PM
Pat they are available for $27.00

As indicated in your case it may not help as there is no real adjustment.

They are suited to the lathes with swivel heads so thay can be realigned properly between centres, you get a more accurate line up than what you get with your centres.

This also depends on the main alignment if it is out of alignment up and down there is not a lot you can do except shimming. Then you would not want to move the headstock again.

ss_11000
6th May 2008, 01:35 AM
sounds like a great little dohicky to have around!

OGYT
6th May 2008, 07:51 AM
If the points are off horizontally, you might align it by tweeking the ways just a might... putting a shim under one leg or the other on the tailstock end... and vice versa.
If they're off vertically, the only way to align them is to shim or grind the headstock or tailstock.
I had to do some grinding on my old Griz... it can be done, but it's a lot of work. :D

Pat
6th May 2008, 08:38 AM
The tailstock of the beast has got set screws that can adjust horizontal/vertical a tad. So I may as well get one. Jim are you coming up to the Sydney WWW show?

$27 is a cheap case of beer :U

Jim Carroll
6th May 2008, 09:16 AM
We will be there.

Pat
6th May 2008, 11:22 AM
Hello Jim, could you please put one of these dohicky's away for me and I am trying to decide between the Supernova II and the Titan, will you have these babies there to touch?

RETIRED
6th May 2008, 02:40 PM
Hey!! No feeliies, you gotta buy one of each at least.:rolleyes::wink::D

Pat
6th May 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey!! No feeliies, you gotta buy one of each at least.:rolleyes::wink::D

Love too, but the wallet only stretches to one at a time:U

Hey , you got a never empty wallet that I can borrow:wink:

Jim Carroll
6th May 2008, 07:39 PM
Pat the Titans are on hold for the moment while teknatool get all their other gear sorted out.

Trend Timber will have the rest of the Teknatool gear there.

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2008, 10:22 PM
Gees
if the Carrolls are in Syderny then I might just turn up

rsser
7th May 2008, 12:59 PM
Back to the topic ...

Dunno what you've checked but there can be several reasons why your points don't line up:

1. One or both is bent (don't laugh, happened to me)
2. You've got crud in one or both MT sockets. Get your finger or a bottle brush in with a little solvent. Or make up a grooved male MT to ream them out. (Can post dimensions if you want).
3. Crud under the tailstock.
4. Sloppy or bent quill.

What else?

RETIRED
7th May 2008, 02:18 PM
What else?It is a Teknatool 1000.

No insult meant but mine never lined up in the 12 years I had it.

It was no problem for the work I was doing with it and I learnt to live with it.:cool:

Pat
7th May 2008, 10:09 PM
It is a Teknatool 1000.

No insult meant but mine never lined up in the 12 years I had it.

It was no problem for the work I was doing with it and I learnt to live with it.:cool:

, it doesn't really bother me, just I thought about it (1st wrong thing to do:) ) and then saw the dohicky in the catledog (Second thing wrong) and I asked the question, How much? :doh:

If it works, it works, if it doesn't, well it cheaper than a case of Mud:roll:

Now if there is any flaming device to make sure some dimwit (ie me) can centre his faceplates on out of square blanks???? Now theres a challange:U