PDA

View Full Version : Some of my pics.

DuncanH
5th May 2008, 03:26 PM
Hi All,
I'm quite new here, so I thought I'd better start making a contribution to this section of the forums. I've always been interested in photography, but I never seem to be able to get as serious about it as I'd like to. I'm sure when I get some time off I'll force myself to make an effort :p. Anyhow, here are some of my photos that I've pulled out of my folder of favourites:

http://www.snoove.com/CountryPath.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/Pano.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/bridge.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/Flower1.7.jpg

http://www.snoove.com/6.jpg

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/comments for me to get me motivated? :p

Thanks for looking.

Duncan.

wheelinround
5th May 2008, 04:46 PM
Motivated now go on tell us you took these with a box brownie:2tsup:

top shots all of them

DuncanH
5th May 2008, 06:12 PM
Motivated now go on tell us you took these with a box brownie:2tsup:
Heheh not quite :p I took them with a canon 30D with a 17-55mm on the front.

Thanks for the comment :)

Harry72
6th May 2008, 10:18 PM
I like the industrial walkway... seems to have a lot of feeling too it.

rhancock
6th May 2008, 10:38 PM
Top class!

I really like the way the diagonal lines of the walkway in the 3rd photo reflect the lines of the sun beams at the top of the photo. You got the vanishing point in just the right spot.

If you want a tip, for me, your photos are very busy, for example if you crop the sides of the first photo to exclude most of the benches, you get a more focused picture. On the other hand, you might like it the way you have presented it!

The flower however, is just beautiful, and the inclusion of the out of focus green details sets off the vibrancy of the orange shades.

Like you, I don't get to spend any time taking photos. In fact my only camera is a point and shoot digital.

Rossluck
7th May 2008, 02:55 PM
I like the first one best. If I were there I probably would have stepped to the right a little and tried to shoot down that path so it could be seen disappearing into that background darkness. Then you have that eerie light and colouring with the pathway inviting you to a dark mystery ....

But they are all good shots; you have a good "eye". I'd just suggest that you move around a little and take a series of shots - maybe you did. :2tsup:

fenderbelly
8th May 2008, 01:19 AM
1 & 3 for me. very nice.

:2tsup:

DuncanH
11th May 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah, now that I look at it, my shots do tend to have too much in them, resulting in that 'busy' look. I'll keep that in mind next time and try to get only one or two points of 'focus' instead of many. That's also a good tip about moving around and taking a series of shots, I'll do that next time too (whenever next time comes :p).

rhancock
11th May 2008, 08:30 PM
Don't forget that you can always do some editing later on photoshop!

Someone famous, David Bailey maybe used to say he'd be happy if one shot in 100 was worth keeping! And he didn't have digital.

Claw Hama
11th May 2008, 09:09 PM
The industrial walkway looks a lot like the big coat hanger guys.

Studley 2436
11th May 2008, 09:15 PM
I like the industrial walkway... seems to have a lot of feeling too it.

Harry that is the walkway on the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

Don't say industrial the cockroaches will get upset!

Studley

Studley 2436
11th May 2008, 09:22 PM
Duncan I find plenty to like about your photographs. I think you are at that stage that you have a good base and now are looking for the next step forward. I have seen photographers who do this type of thing and are very very good at it. Tiny details make the difference.

Do a google for Urs Buhlman and have a look at his stuff. I am trying to think of the name of one of our South Aussie Photographers who spends his time travelling a decent part of the planet photographing. He shoots on film with a 6x17cm negative. I think it is Mamiya that he uses but you don't need that.

One tip though is to shoot in the golden hour, sunrise and sunset. Light is everything.

Studley

Optimark
13th May 2008, 01:00 AM
Could David Bailey be the photographer you are thinking of?

He uses an Art Pan 170 6X17cm camera as well as some smaller Mamiya medim format cameras.

Mick.

manoftalent
13th May 2008, 01:42 AM
Mood has a lot to do with a good shot ....or a bad one .....for instance, the last pic in colour gives a vibe of fast pace, semi industrial kinda feeling ....whereas in black and white .....the feeling would be different .....more damp dark and dreary .....

The flower shot was great .....good depth , great warmth, and you almost expect a bee to sit on it at any moment .....that one is a keeper :2tsup:

the panoramic of the water shot is good, but lacks depth, a longer exposure time may help with that one, and of course the time of day would too ....

Now appart from my brutal comments ( not being personal here, just honest, its the Chef in me)......you have the talent to take the shot, thats a given, you lack in fundamentals ....time of day, the right mood/frame of mind......and patience .......shutter speeds, film quality,etc can all be played with, but unless your in tune with that moment in time your going to capture ....it wont work out.

now git off your butt and show us some good stuff ....:U