PDA

View Full Version : Green turning - soak in alcohol?

I_wanna_Shed
5th May 2008, 07:32 PM
Hello,

I was just watching one of "Stu In Tokyo's" wood turning videos on YouTube. Hopefully Stu is here to answer my question.

Stu turned a green natural edge bowl. After turning it, he says he will soak it in a bath of denatured alcohol for 24 hours, then wrap it up in a paper cloth for 2-3 weeks, after which it will be ready to do the final shaping and finishing.

What is the reason for the denatured alcohol bath? How is this different/advantageous compared to throwing your green turning onto a pile for however long?

Stu's videos on YouTube are great, the specific one I am referencing to is YouTube - Rough Turning a Natural Edge Bowl Part 1, "Rough Turning a Natural Edge Bowl Part 1" and Part 2.

Thanks Stu!

Cheers,
Nathan.

Edit: Just realised linking to a YouTube video embeds it into the post - cool stuff!

bowl-basher
5th May 2008, 09:38 PM
I sent Stu a couple of PM's on this and have just tried it on some very green Jackarandah. the results look good I will turn some of the pices next week. The interesting thing is that when the pices are first put in the spirit they float but after 12 hours they sink. On removing and allowing it dry (12 hours ) the weight diffrence is very marked. I also tried one pice in the microwave and got a bit carried away insted of 50-60 seconds at a time I left it run for 5 mins. the result was a charcoal path through the thickest part of the bowl and a new microwave for SWMBO at least I now have my own for the shed ( even if it smells like a busfire)
Bowl basher

hughie
5th May 2008, 09:57 PM

What is the reason for the denatured alcohol bath? How is this different/advantageous compared to throwing your green turning onto a pile for however long?

Nathan.

Its a fairly common practice in the USA. I have used it with great success, basically it helps to remove the water content I guess the free water and then it dries out under a controlled situation ie paper bags etc.
The only draw back for me is that I did not have a real good container and so lost a fair amount to evaporation.

Claw Hama
5th May 2008, 10:04 PM
The alcohol absorbs all the moisture in the wood and once removed from the bath the alcohol evaporates and hey presto dry wood. No heat, stress or waiting.

I_wanna_Shed
5th May 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, it sounds interesting and worth a go when I get some green timber.

Does this process remove the smell from timber? Eg: if I tried this with Camphor or Huon, would I lose the smell?

Also how many times can I reuse the alcohol?

Cheers,
Nathan.

steck
5th May 2008, 11:33 PM
Can anyone tell me where to buy denatured alcohol?
TIA

Stu in Tokyo
6th May 2008, 12:47 AM
Sorry, I was busy, but it looks like the others have answered the question for you, thanks guys! :2tsup:

The DNA bath has worked well for me, I had some Sakura (Japanese Ornamental Cherry) that would crack if I looked at it wrong, but once I started the DNA baths, I did not lose one roughed out blank! :D

Now I use it for all of my green turnings, and I've not lost one blank to cracks.

I found this............

which is why, here in Oz, we call it Methylated Spirits. ie. DNA is plain ol' everyday Metho.

go and read this article by Dave Smith (http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_473.shtml#top), explains it all.

Cheers!

bowl-basher
6th May 2008, 08:42 AM
:D:DAccording to an industrial chemist friend the American term of De Natured Alchol is our Methelated Sprits
Worked well for me used a large open mouth jar and put the spirit back in the bottle when finished don't know how many time I will be able to use the same spirit
Bowl basher

Stu in Tokyo
6th May 2008, 09:43 AM
I use a 20 litre pail that had laundry soap in it, we got it from Costco, has a plastic snap on lid, works well. I bought 18 litres of DNA and now I bet I'm down to about 12 litres, or there abouts, it does evaporate a bit, and each piece you soak, take some with it as well. My DNA bath is now dark brown, but it still works well. I'm going to buy another 18 litre can of it, and just top up what I have.

Cheers!