PDA

View Full Version : Pens for the Troops

Pages : [1] 2 3

PenTurner
5th May 2008, 10:03 PM
I have started this thread as a follow on to the Sticky started by Toni, "Suggestions for pens for the Troops"
This is thread is to acknowledge the receipt of any pens sent.
1st acknowledgement is a thanks to "Sundowner" for the pens he sent in last week.:):2tsup::2tsup:
Sundowner put a simple tag attached to each pen, stating his name "sundowner' and the type of wood it was made from.
I will engrave any pen with what the donor wants if the person donating so desires(as long as it is deemed safe i.e. not a security risk)
Woodenink has also donated some pens.
Tomorrow will see the first shipment of 29 pens be sent off.
As you are able please send in the pens, if you need my address please PM me or DJ. thanks Amos:)

PenTurner
6th May 2008, 11:23 AM
Allan, received those pens just as I was packing the box to be sent to Iraq, thanks.:):2tsup:
Sending off 34 pens this morning. Amos:)

Touchwood
11th May 2008, 01:24 AM
Darn, knew I should have got into gear faster - sent mine Friday arvo. Guess they'll take a couple of days to get across the great divide.

JD

PenTurner
11th May 2008, 10:17 AM
No worries JD, will be sending again in two or three weeks, so keep sending in, hoping we will get some feedback from those that receive them and if so will post their responses. Amos:)

lubbing5cherubs
11th May 2008, 10:37 AM
Jenny do not worry about time it we all know the lack of that. Thank you for your help
Toni

Fireman sam
12th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Amos
I sent 5 pens last week to you :U:2tsup:
Andrew

PenTurner
13th May 2008, 04:19 PM
In case anyone doesn't hear from me for whatever reason, on am away for two weeks with limited access, But, the address is my shop address and there will be people to receive pens and put aside for us. Thanks Amos

lubbing5cherubs
13th May 2008, 04:57 PM
have a safe trip Amos and thanks for doing this
Toni

PenTurner
14th May 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks Toni, Amos:)

PenTurner
16th May 2008, 09:30 PM
The first lot of pens arrived safely and have been distributed to the troops, they send their thanks, Amos:):2tsup:

David Mitchell
16th May 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Amos
I will post four pens to you next week.:)
Regards
David

Touchwood
17th May 2008, 01:50 AM
That's great news - well done to all involved.

Amos, do you need a financial contribution? Are you having 'out of pocket expenses' doing this?

JD

PenTurner
19th May 2008, 10:48 AM
Touchwood, will contact next week, Amos:)

David Mitchell
20th May 2008, 10:55 PM
Posted 4 pens today Amos:)
Regards
D M:2tsup:

sundowner
23rd May 2008, 12:30 PM
morning Amos,couple more pens i found for the troops.Thanks 08 would be good if it fits.thanks and cheers grahamhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif :2tsup:

PenTurner
26th May 2008, 01:11 PM
Back again, had a refreshing break, here is the response to the first lot of pens.
G'day Amos,

Just a very quick thank you for the box of beautifully handcrafted pens you sent me. I have already passed them out to the lads wihin Combat Team Waler. They were all very well received by the boys and the have asked me to please pass on their warmest appreciation to all the members of the Ubeaut Woodwork Forum.

I have attached a photo with a few of the lads with their new pens - please pass on to all the members of the forum. The lads rate your work!

I have also sent you a letter with several small mementos from us here in Iraq.

Thanks again

Kindest regards

K.D. Sparke

PenTurner
26th May 2008, 01:37 PM
OK, here is a list of names from whom I have received pens since being away.
1.Graham Down
2.Fireman Sam
3. Touchwood
4. S.Duncombe
5. Simomatra
6. David Mitchell

The total of pens is 28, if you desire to have the amount of pens you sent published just let me know.
I will be sending them soon, just need to do a little work myself. Amos

Also, unless you specify otherwise, they will be sent as is, if you want me to put (engrave) something on the pen put a note in with the pens. Many thanks, keep it up, Amos

Touchwood
26th May 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for sharing the letter Amos - nice to think we have touched the hearts of others - and we were all doing something we really enjoy doing!! :2tsup:

The world can never have too many acts of random kindness

JD

Simomatra
27th May 2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Amos, great to see the troops liked them.

lubbing5cherubs
27th May 2008, 08:24 AM
beautifully done. thank you guys

Studley 2436
27th May 2008, 07:32 PM
Sheeze I did fall behind on this. Although I don't have a lathe, mmm my boss has three including a Mazak that is about 15 feet of bed and 36 or 40 inches of swing, what a pen you could make in that! *LOL* actually the little CNC I spend my time on could rip out some nice pens but I don't think the boss would really appreciate that!

I still have timber sitting around it's from the Reject Wood Sales that come along so there is plenty of stuff there that comes from around knots and has lots of the figure to the grain pen turners love. If anyone would like a few bits to send off the troops give me shout.

Studley

PenTurner
28th May 2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks Studley, when I receive the box I will see what can be done . Amos:)

PenTurner
30th May 2008, 01:01 PM
Sent off the second lot of pens today, 45 in total,.
Photo 1 is the pens, Photo 2 the pens in protective sleeves just before packaging. Great work by all, Amos:)

munruben
30th May 2008, 02:06 PM
What a wonderful gesture. Congratulations guys for doing a great job. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by the ones who receive them.

lubbing5cherubs
30th May 2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you Amos,
You doing a great job
Toni

PenTurner
1st June 2008, 04:18 PM
Received this communication, the Sgt. who distributed the first lot came home for the birth of their second child, made it by 36 hours!:2tsup:

The second parcel hadn't arrived before he left but he left instructions with one of the other troop sergeants to distribute the 2nd shipment to the ones that missed out on the first push. If you manage to get a third or subsequent group together I can hook you up with a contact in Afghanistan to share the love over there as well.
If you or any of the guys are around Puckapunyal Victoria(near Seymour, hour north of Melbourne) in the next 2 years I can hook them up with a look at some tanks.:2tsup:

For those able and wanting to look at some tanks at Puckapunyal in Victoria, just PM me and I will put you in direct contact with the man.

If you would like to make some pens for the troops in Afghanistan, please send them to me as usual, the next lot will go to Afghanistan. Any questions just PM me. Amos:):2tsup:

If you would like to make some pens but can't afford the kits, please PM me, and some kits will be sent to you, compliments of a penturner. Amos

Studley 2436
1st June 2008, 07:00 PM
Damn Amos I feel guilty now for not cutting some blanks this weekend!

Sheeze but I have to say that they have some pretty good tanks coming in soon enough, the US Abrams tank that Cosgrove was so keen to get. Handy having an army man as the Chief of Staff is handy for the "boots on the ground".

Anyway I'll get onto some blanks, looks like this will run for a while, rotten old Taliban hasn't died just yet

Studley

PenTurner
12th June 2008, 02:43 PM
I am in contact with the person who will advise when the latest batch of pens is distributed.

Meanwhile, back home, the direction for the next lot is Afghanistan, I have one turner sending 21 pens to me, if you would like to make some pens for Aussie Troops in Afghanistan, please do so and send to me to pass on, if you need my address just PM me. If you can't make the pens yourself and would like to donate some kits for someone else to make then also send to me and I will pass them on.
If you would like to make some pens and need some kits, please PM me and we will send you some.
Many thanks to you all who have encouraged our men on the battle front, Amos:):2tsup:

sundowner
12th June 2008, 09:48 PM
I would like to thank everyone envolved with this exercize.Iknow the value of writing gear of any type.A special thanks to Toni and Amos. Cheers Graham vv

Touchwood
15th June 2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Amos,
I'll get into the shed again and make some more for our new 'direction'
JD

David Mitchell
15th June 2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Amos
I will get to and make four more pen .
Regards
D M

PenTurner
16th June 2008, 03:42 PM
The last parcel to Iraq was returned to me, the mail service to Iraq has ceased with the withdrawal of troops. So, I will send them to the troops in Afghanistan. Amos:)

ps thanks Dave.

Sawdust Maker
21st June 2008, 07:30 PM
Is this still happening? As I've finally found time to make a couple of pens.

PenTurner
22nd June 2008, 09:48 PM
Yes, it is still happening, we are waiting for a reliable contact for Afghanistan, when we get that all pens will go to those troops there. We could push ahead via other chamnnels but prefer to get a solid contact, because we all want the troops at the front to recive them. Amos:)

Sawdust Maker
22nd June 2008, 10:18 PM
Amos

I'll send down my small offering sometime this week
cheers

Nick

Sawdust Maker
26th June 2008, 03:17 PM
Amos

just despatched a couple of pens for the effort
cheers

Nick

PenTurner
29th July 2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry it has taken so long folks, but I really want to be sure I don't waste the care, time and talent that you have put into the pens that have been sent, There is some glimmer of hope that we could have a contact(s) soon, Amos:)

David Mitchell
29th July 2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry it has taken so long folks, but I really want to be sure I don't waste the care, time and talent that you have put into the pens that have been sent, There is some glimmer of hope that we could have a contact(s) soon, Amos:)

I said I would send some more a while back ,still in the making will send when finished if not too late, been a little busy lately:wink:
Regards
David:2tsup:

PenTurner
19th August 2008, 06:08 PM
It has been, of necessity we were after a reliable person to receive the pens and pass them on, we(another member of the forum and I) believe we have that person and tomorrow I will box off about 60 pens and send them, There will be photos but for security reasons no faces will be shown. Here is praying and hoping, Amos:)

PenTurner
20th August 2008, 01:28 PM
I have just sent off 97 pens and 5 pencils to the troops, I have emailed the person and here is the return email.
G'day Amos,
no worries. I will let you know when they arrive, when I send them and when they arrive overseas.

Thank you and all of the people involved in arranging for these pens to be sent. It is quite humbling to be reminded that many people still think of the guys and girls who are serving overseas.

Regards,

Mick
Thanks to all who have contributed thus far, if you are in a position that you could make some pens, please send them to me, just pm me if you haven't got the address.
I think that there plenty of troops out there and we can be a small part of encouraging them, also we need to remember those who are the "home" troops and provide the necessary back up and support. If you would like to make some pens but are not in the position to buy some kits, let me know and we will see about getting some kits to you. Many thanks to you all, Amos

Studley 2436
20th August 2008, 06:45 PM
Just a thought Amos but if say one pen reaches a unit I have a feeling that the whole unit feels like people back home are thinking about us and are happy about that regardless of who gets to keep the pen.

Studley
who really should cut up some timber to help the effort.

Simomatra
21st August 2008, 08:58 AM
Well done everyone who has contributed and a very big thank you to Amos81157 who has done a lot of the organizing work. I would send you a greenie but it won't let me:(

112 unit is well done 81156, I think the troops will appreciate them.

I must get back to making a few more myself.

Thanks again all

Sawdust Maker
21st August 2008, 04:26 PM
:iagree: good job Amos

sent the greenie for you Sam :!

Simomatra
22nd August 2008, 05:43 PM
:iagree: good job Amos

sent the greenie for you Sam :!

Many Thanks

Touchwood
24th August 2008, 10:07 PM
I was torn between vacuuming the house and car and turning - turning and the car won!!! :D:D 5 pens on their way to you Amos. Thanks for keeping this going.

JD

PenTurner
29th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Here is the response on receiving the pens----
G'day Amos,
I have received the pens and pencils this morning. I am very impressed with the fine workmanship which has gone into their construction and appreciate the labeling of the different types of wood used. I will send these over there today (I will keep a couple here for the Boss to look at upon his return).

Could you please pass on a very big thank you to all of the people involved in making the lovely pens, as well as for keeping the guys and girls in your thoughts.

Regards,

Mick

If you are able to make some to pass on to them, please let me know. Amos

PenTurner
29th August 2008, 10:31 PM
Thus far I would like to thank the following people.
Sundowner, who has made over 60 pens, many from donated kits.
Toni-Lubbing5cherubs- 20 kits donated and made up by Sundowner.
Touchwood for her pens.
Fireman Sam for pens
David Mitchell-pens
Simomatra-pens
Sawdust Maker-pens
Sir Stinkalot-pens
WoodenInk-pens
Mrs. Woodpecker-pens
Also the anonamous donor of 100 slimline kits, which Sundowner is in the process of making.
IF I FORGOT YOU-----PLease PM immediately so I can put you in the list, it is not intentional- just me trying to remember!:)
Amos

Touchwood
30th August 2008, 01:43 PM
Great ideas are only that, ideas, but the time and ongoing commitment by Amos (and I suspect Toni) have made this idea flourish and continue to happen now for the best part of this year.

Well done one and all!
:way2go:

:snopee:

JD

regulated
31st August 2008, 06:49 AM
Hey all,

Now if you have problems contacting people over on the deployments I may be able to help. I was a Craftsman in RAEME and went over on Security Detachment to Baghdad with 2/14 LHR (QMI). I still have a lot of contacts with them and 2 CAV and would easily be able to set it up for you. Most of the people I know are in Cav (the ones in the Australian Light Armoured Vehicles) and would appreciate the respect everyone is showing. It would be good to get the pens to the real workers doing the hard yards (Privates, Troopers, Corporals and Crafties) as they hardly ever get as much recognition as the higher ranks.

While I was over there it was the small things like this that counted. Being away for that long without family and friends really takes a toll.

PM me if you want me to sort anything out. I could set it up with one of the NCO's to disperse them to the workers, not the officers :p (reason why I have been giving them straight to the boys :U.

Good work guys.

And if any of you want to check out some pics from the deployments check out the following links. I will request them to put pics up on the defence site sou you can all have a bit more recognition.

2/14 guys
http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/global/opcatalyst/images/gallery/20060113/index.htm

Op Catalyst (Iraq) Tonnes of pics, just change the year at the top for more.
http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/global/opcatalyst/gallery_2008.htm

Op Slipper (Afghanistan)
http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/global/opslipper/gallery_2008.htm

PenTurner
31st August 2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks Regulated, I have sent a PM to you, and hope we can arrange things. I have just written this letter and sent it by email to some, but it is for all to see, Amos
31st August 2008
Hello to all my fellow woodworkers,
This same letter is going out to all on my friends list and to others as a PM, on behalf of the troops there is a big thank you to all who have been able to send pens and or provide kits.
This letter is asking for contributions for this Christmas period coming up, I know it is early, but we need the time to be able to send out the new lot of pens by end of October-2 months away.
IF you are able to contribute pens and or kits, now is the time to get busy doing it, if you are able to get some others interested then this is a worthwhile cause; it encourages our troops, they are out their doing their work, it gets lonely and dangerous, a small gift may be enough to encourage them in time of need, we do care for them personally, we may not agree with war, I certainly personally hate war, but we need to differentiate between personal welfare and a decision that our elected government may make. Unfortunately in this world, every country needs armed services or there would be ruthless nations who would attack them and put their citizens in bondage .
So, please if you are able to help encourage the men and women out there who are putting their lives on the line, please do so.
On behalf of those out there,
Amos- Wooden Ink

PenTurner
2nd September 2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you Jenny, 5 beautiful pens received today. Amos:2tsup::)

Touchwood
2nd September 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm glad they arrived all safe and sound - I'll try to get some more made for the Christmas mail out.

JD

FXST01
3rd September 2008, 05:54 PM
Let me know if you need any delivered over there, as I'm soon to depart (finally) :D

PenTurner
3rd September 2008, 11:40 PM
PM sent to FXST01, Amos:)

Sawdust Maker
5th September 2008, 12:49 PM
Christmas, of course
I'll try and do a handful by the end of Oct, fingers crossed that I can get them done.

PenTurner
5th September 2008, 08:56 PM
At present we have two reliable sources who will deliver the pens to the troops, :2tsup::2tsup:If anyone is able to make pens for the troops, NOW, is the time to do it, If you would like to make some pens but need some kits please send me a PM and we will send some to you. Amos:):2tsup:

PenTurner
24th September 2008, 11:28 AM
Many thanks to the Read family for the donation of 5 beuatiful pens, each in a felt sleeve and each with a note neatly folded inside saying thanks and a brief history of the wood and an explanation on how to change the refill and buff up the shine if needed!:2tsup: Very thoughtful and will be a great encouragement to the recipients. Amos:)

PenTurner
8th October 2008, 04:19 PM
Many thanks Pasho, have received your pens for the troops ,:2tsup:, Amos:)

PenTurner
16th October 2008, 06:08 PM
Many thanks to Sundowner for these.:2tsup::2tsup:Amos:) There are around 130 total going, some more photos next post. Amos:)

PenTurner
16th October 2008, 06:14 PM
And some more here, do you recognize yourself? then let me know I left the sheet at work with your names. Amos, There is a Jenny, a Pasho and Read Family, did I miss you?? let me know, don't want to leave anyone out, thanks for the wonderful labour of love. Amos:2tsup::2tsup::)

Simomatra
16th October 2008, 06:18 PM
Amos mine will b there next week just waiting for your bushes to come

Can send tomorrow if you want them earlier

PenTurner
16th October 2008, 07:16 PM
Sam, next week will be fine, here are a some more photos, this time the pens are in their pouches and tomorrow they will ship out. Amos:)

PenTurner
19th October 2008, 05:19 PM
If you are considering making some pens for Christmas, now is the time, try and get them to me before mid November, so they can reach the troops in time. Thanks, Amos:)

PenTurner
22nd October 2008, 04:12 PM
Received about 90 pens and some pencils from Sundowner today, :2tsup:many thanks to his great effort. :2tsup:25 pens plus 7 pencils have been sent off today to an address supplied to me. No photos yet, camera is at home, but some lovely crosscut hairy oak in that lot. Amos:)
OK, the pens are off to Afghanistan.
Also, one of our members here on the forum is headed overseas for a tour of duty, wish him luck and won't name him unless he says ok. Amos

PenTurner
23rd October 2008, 04:33 PM
Here are some photos of sundowners' pens.:2tsup:Amos:)

PenTurner
23rd October 2008, 04:35 PM
Acknowledging receipt of pens from Sam, many thanks Amos:2tsup::)

Simomatra
24th October 2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks Amos

A big thank you to Sundowner for producing so many nice pens for the troops, well done mate a greenie has been sent. 86693

All the best to our unnamed soldier who is heading OS wishing for a safe tour and a speedy return.

sundowner
25th October 2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks Sam,i enjoyed doing the turning.The biggest persent of the pens were donated by anon??? Cheers Graham

Simomatra
25th October 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks Sam,i enjoyed doing the turning.The biggest persent of the pens were donated by anon??? Cheers Graham

Yes Graham I am aware of Anon he is a wonderful person. Hers your greenie Anon you know who you are the troops thank you.

Maybe we should be looking for a corporate sponsor I wonder if the RSL would consider this? Anyone in the know??

PenTurner
3rd November 2008, 01:33 PM
Many thanks go to Pasho:2tsup: and Fireman Sam:2tsup: for their donation of pens for the troops, I will post photos on Wednesday , camera not with me at the moment(work).
I had a look at the IAP pen site and read up on what they are doing for their troops, very encouraging, maybe we could take a page out of their book and look for sponsors. Amos:)

Dangermouse
3rd November 2008, 02:14 PM
Amos,

When is the next shipment going out?

I've got 4 done waiting to be sent over, and another 3 waiting by the lathe. (been a bit slack lately :-).

Don't want to miss the xmass delivery for the boys, better pull my finger out I think. :oo:

PenTurner
3rd November 2008, 10:58 PM
Dave, I am aiming for mid November, will try to communicate with our contacts and see what they say. Amos:)

PenTurner
5th November 2008, 04:47 PM
Here are the pictures of the pens from Fireman Sam, first two photos,:2tsup: and Pasho, pics 3 and 4. :2tsup:many thanks to you. I have heard from our contact in Iraq,(a forum member) that he can distribute pens for us, so getting ready to send another lot to him.
Amos:)

Dangermouse
5th November 2008, 05:39 PM
Looks good pasho & sam.

Amos, just put sanding sealer on three pens, probably doing the rustins tomorrow night, so should have them ready to send by the end of the weekend.

Pasho
5th November 2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Amos. Pictures are great but need to be reversed mine are the last sets. Nice pens Andrew.:2tsup:

Fireman sam
5th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Nice pens David :2tsup:
Andrew

PenTurner
7th November 2008, 11:25 AM
Ok fellow penturners, 70 more pens were posted off to a member of this Forum who also is in the Defence Forces over in Iraq,
pens in this lot were from
Fireman Sam
Pasho
Simomatra
Sundowner
Wooden Ink
Thanks to all, and keep them coming.
I happened to watch a movie, "Home of the Brave", that showed the physical and emotional trauma of some of the troops that have been in battle, in reminded me to be more diligent towards those that are out there on the front line. Amos:)

PenTurner
7th November 2008, 03:23 PM
:2tsup:Here is communication received on the pens sent to Afghanistan.

G'day Amos,
the pens have arrived, however the guys haven't sent any photo's of them in use like I requested.
The efforts of yourself and the other members of your group are appreciated, not only for the time and craftsmanship put into making the pens, but also for your support and thoughts for all of our service personnel who are doing their best to make a part of the world a little better for everyone.

Thank you,

Regards,

Mick
Thanks again to all who contributed on that particular send out. Amos:):2tsup:

PenTurner
12th November 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks Dave (Dangermouse) for those pens, Lord willing tomorrow will photograph and post them here. Amos:):2tsup:

Touchwood
12th November 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Amos
I have just packaged 6 pens and will put them in the mail tomorrow - thanks once again for coordinating this.

JD

PenTurner
13th November 2008, 10:23 AM
As promised, photos of Dangermouse pens, with thanks, Amos:2tsup::)

sundowner
16th November 2008, 11:01 PM
Morning Amos;a couple pens for the troops,with thanks from (Anon) arrive Tue i hope.Cheers Graham.You are doing a job well done,thankyou

David Mitchell
17th November 2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Amos
I posted 4 pen today:wink:
Regards
David:2tsup:

PenTurner
18th November 2008, 09:39 PM
Received 3 lots of pens for the troops today, David Mitchell, Touchwood and Sundowner, haven't had a chance to photo them yet, Thanks for the contributions, Amos:2tsup::)

PenTurner
19th November 2008, 12:29 PM
This week my trunk turned up with the 1st lot of pens and yesterday the 2nd lot arrived in the mail.

Have pass them onto our PR section who is keen to do a story and such.

Photos to follow.:2tsup:

This is from a fellow forumite who is now over there, Amos:):2tsup:

PenTurner
24th November 2008, 12:32 PM
Here are the photos, in order, Touchwood, David Mitchell and Sundowner, thank you for the great effort you have put in, Amos:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
PS if you have sent pens but haven't received acknowledgement please pm me and I will try to make sure you do receive thanks, Amos:)

PenTurner
5th December 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks to all who have contributed, this lot went today to Iraq.:):2tsup: Amos
PS if you would like to make a few for the troops please keep sending them to me, i will pass them on for you. Amos:)

PenTurner
13th December 2008, 11:20 AM
Please see 3rd and 4th Pictures down, sorry they credited me , it is YOU who have done the work, also I am from Victoria, but don't hold that against me. Amos
Hello Amos,

I don't have very good internet access where I am at the moment so will have to just use email.

On the below link is a start of the pens exposure over here. I know the PR man is planning a story, we just have to wait till he gets back to here so he can complete it.

http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/global/opcatalyst/images/gallery/2008/1202/index.htm (http://www.defence.gov.au/opEx/global/opcatalyst/images/gallery/2008/1202/index.htm)

cheers and many thanks for the pens, the guys and girls love them.

Eddie
Thanks to all, I will try to get the Forum to get the credit, I am just the "passer along" man. Amos

Simomatra
13th December 2008, 12:53 PM
Well done Amos

We understand, as long as the troops are happy :2tsup::2tsup:

Sam

PenTurner
15th December 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks to all contributors once again, we have received this plaque of thanks from the troops in Afghanistan-- see pictures, Amos:):2tsup:

Pasho
15th December 2008, 08:17 PM
My fellow Forum Members I would like to suggest that the custodian of the plaque be the well known Annon as this person has given more that enough.

sundowner
16th December 2008, 10:40 AM
100% agree. Graham

PenTurner
1st January 2009, 06:21 PM
To Whom it May Concern,
I'm writing this e-mail to express my gratitude for the pen I recently received from your company. I'm currently serving with the RAAF in the Middle East Area of Operation, and was very humbled and appreciative of your gift.
It certainly gave us all a lift to receive these exceptionally crafted pens and will remain a treasured memento of my time serving here.
Thank you again for your support, this certainly helped morale and was greatly appreciated by all.
Cheers
Adrian Welling
A. P. J. Welling
SGT

I replied to this email on behalf of us all, great to see that our work is appreciated. Amos:2tsup::)

PenTurner
2nd January 2009, 12:01 PM
Amos,

Happy New Year and thanks for all your hard work during the year, please pass my thanks and greetings to the forum members.

Thanks for very much for the outstanding pen that you sent over here to me. Its was above what I was expecting, almost too good to use.

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks again to all Forum members who have given over the past year, please keep in mind ANZAC day, it would be good if we could all make a few and get them sent in March so they would have them by Anzac Day. Amos:):2tsup::2tsup::)

Rum Pig
8th January 2009, 03:41 PM
Amos,

Thanks again to all Forum members who have given over the past year, please keep in mind ANZAC day, it would be good if we could all make a few and get them sent in March so they would have them by Anzac Day. Amos:):2tsup::2tsup::)

What would be the latest you would like to receive the pens in order for them to arrive around ANZAC Day?

I will try to make as many as I can for the shipment:)

PenTurner
8th January 2009, 07:57 PM
Rum Pig, I think that we would need to send the parcel(s) of Anzac Pens by the First week of April if they are to make it by Anzac Day, in fact, if there are enough by the last week of March I will send some off sooner. Thanks for that, Amos:):2tsup:

Studley 2436
13th January 2009, 10:46 AM
I have a stack of off cuts and the like that will make great pens. *LOL* now if only I had a lathe! Let me know the dimensions and I will cut up a few bits to help the effort.

It did dawn on me that we could put the Army's Rising Sun crest on the cases but that might not be ideal for the Air Force guys. Good idea or not? It would get really tricky trying to put unit crests on them and getting the right crest to the right unit but the Army Crest wouldn't be hard to sort out.

Studley

RickG
16th January 2009, 04:49 AM
We have a group of guys doing this same thing from Canada. http://www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca (http://www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca/)

We try and have a letter of support and encouragement go with each pen. Here is a photo of a pen I had sent to Afghanistan that was emailed back to me.

PenTurner
16th January 2009, 07:50 PM
Well done Rick and well done to our fellow Canadian Peace Keepers, Amos:2tsup::)

Studley 2436
16th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Top notch pen and a top notch photo too. I guess the soldier was in arms length of his side arm when he took the photo.

I guess everyone has seen the evening news that one of ours was awarded a VC today? I am pretty sure this one is the first Australian VC awarded. They changed the name at some time to signify we make our own awards. I think you can check the Army's web page about their awards if you are interested. Found it here (http://home.mira.net/~jmmc/gallantry.htm)

Is the Anzac day batch happening? I have 30 blanks I made yesterday from a bit of wood I picked up at a Pizza shop I tried out for a job at. It is River Red Gum with the most sensational fiddleback you will see. Would love to be involved.

Studley