PDA

View Full Version : Making tools

littlebuddha
6th May 2008, 01:59 AM
Hi guys, i had a day where i had to clean up the shop, it was a tip to much work the last week loads of daft jobs. Any way i was doing a bit of sharpening and was sharpening one of my cutters and though could do with some more, and there staring me in the face was the anwser, Spade bits, High speed bits whatever you might call them over there.
Cut what ever shape you might want need, come in all sizes so a great little cheap source and work a treat. Mushroom tool captive ring tool, end grain cutters loads of them out there that can save time but cost, well make your own. Mine already have holes in them just made them a little bigger to accom the screw. the one on the sharpening holder is the origanal from sorby the one in the tool is the one i cut up have yet to grind the back. Simple soure..LB:doh::D

OGYT
6th May 2008, 07:45 AM
Good idea, LB! Might have to try some different scraper shapes. Thanks for posting.

steck
6th May 2008, 08:55 AM
Brilliant idea, LB!!
Thanks for the inspiration!
I have only just made my first tool so your post gave me an extra buzz!!
Now to look in the "junk drawer"!

littlebuddha
6th May 2008, 09:00 AM
Brilliant idea, LB!!
Thanks for the inspiration!
I have only just made my first tool so your post gave me an extra buzz!!
Now to look in the "junk drawer"!

:D Hay this is hi tec stuff we don't go to the junk box, we go to the Inspiration box:2tsup: LB

oldiephred
6th May 2008, 09:15 AM
Very good idea. Let us know how they hold an edge.

Cliff Rogers
6th May 2008, 09:17 AM
:2tsup:

wheelinround
6th May 2008, 11:25 AM
LB brilliant have a few bits I can use.:2tsup:

nalmo
6th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Have made a few scrapers from spade bits that have worked quite well as hollowing tools. If you leave the shaft too long they can sometimes be susceptible to vibration, but overall have worked pretty well. A friend has heat treated one and it seems to be fine.

artme
6th May 2008, 03:05 PM
Good one LB!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

littlebuddha
6th May 2008, 07:07 PM
Have made a few scrapers from spade bits that have worked quite well as hollowing tools. If you leave the shaft too long they can sometimes be susceptible to vibration, but overall have worked pretty well. A friend has heat treated one and it seems to be fine.

The use of the whole spade bit has been around some time, and okay for small boxes and such, but as you point out about vibration and that they are hard which in turn gives to brittleness and chance for shatter. The thread in this case has nothing to do with useing the spade bit as a scrapper or a tool, its about useing part of it as a souce to make a small part. LB

hughie
6th May 2008, 10:11 PM
:2tsup:LB,

:U Great bit of lateral thinking.

CanFly
7th May 2008, 03:55 AM
Mmm, what? I seem to have got lost!

nalmo
14th May 2008, 11:01 PM
I cut and ground the tip to get a "Hockey Stick" shape to undercut the rim of bowls. Was a lot cheaper than the Sorby hollowing tool (which I ended up buying anyhow :doh: )