PDA

View Full Version : White Beech

Dazzla
6th May 2008, 10:21 AM
Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if using White Beech as a Mahogany replacement for the frame of a Cold Mold Constructed Glen-L runabout boat is acceptable?
I'm liking the Beech because of its weight and look.
If it is no good any suggestions would be appreciated.
I live in S.Aust if that is of any help enabling me to locate a supplier.

Cheers

Boatmik
6th May 2008, 01:54 PM
That would be the worst decision you could possibly make. The white beech is a wonderful decking timber similar to teak in terms of use. Its oiliness protects it from the elements when left bare. However you can't use it as a structural component in a glued structure as it doesn't glue reliably at all for highly stressed components.

Deck overlay over plywood is OK if you take precautions with the gluing - but for hull components it would be a potential disaster.

Best wishes
Michael Storer

Dazzla
6th May 2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Mike, Thanks for the info, any suggestions on what timber to use, and that i might be able to get locally?
Darren

Boatmik
6th May 2008, 07:11 PM
Many people end up using ply these days. Or cedar veneers. Sometimes Duck Flat can get gaboon veneers.

Um ...

MIK

mcchaddy
6th May 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Dazzla,

I plan on using hoop pine for the frames in a similar style boat. Celery top pine is another good timber. As mike said ply is probably the easiest and readily available.

cheers

Michael

Dazzla
8th May 2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Dazzla,

I plan on using hoop pine for the frames in a similar style boat. Celery top pine is another good timber. As mike said ply is probably the easiest and readily available.

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, just checking, but are you suggesting using hoop pine for the frames of the boat or hoop pine as a ply for the out skin? Ive done a little research and have noticed that some people have even used timbers like brushbox and kwilla but im thinking that they are both on the heavier side... whats you opinion?

Boatmik
8th May 2008, 01:34 PM
Howdy Dazzla,

Read the whole thread more carefully.

Michael Storer

mcchaddy
8th May 2008, 02:18 PM
Howdy Dazzla,

I plan on using recycled Hoop Pine timber(not ply) for the frames only. I'm using hoop pine ply cold molded for the skin/hull of the boat .

Hope I haven't confused you.

cheers

Michael.

Peter 305
23rd October 2018, 08:37 PM
White beech is very durable but it's oiliness makes it very difficult to glue or to glue other items to it. I'd use hoop pine.