PDA

View Full Version : school formal present

campbellton
6th May 2008, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone. I have my school formal in a few days and I am contemplating turning something for my formal date, not exactly sure what though. I was thinking either turning a corsage for her wrist or either turning a lidded box to present the corsage in. just wanting some input from other people if this could work out. i am also open to any other suggestions you might have.
Thanks Scott. :2tsup:<o></o>

funkychicken
6th May 2008, 08:25 PM
Aww, you little devil:D

What I've done before is make a bangle and a nice lidded box to present it in...

Mobil Man
7th May 2008, 02:21 AM
Just turn her a nice pen--then she'll have a reminder every time she writes in her diary. Make a pendant with a gold chain to wear around her neck.

mobjack68
7th May 2008, 02:43 AM
How about a bracelet?? turn it and maybe do an inlay or carve her initials??

OGYT
7th May 2008, 05:04 AM
I think the presentation box with her corsage in it is a wonderful idea. Take the corsage out, pin it on her, and give her the box for her keepsakes.

tea lady
7th May 2008, 11:52 AM
Wow! Romance is not dead!!:oo::2tsup:

Dean
7th May 2008, 12:32 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
I'm sure whatever you make will be appreciated, and if not, then not worth keeping (the date that is) :p

But if you only have a few days left, stop contemplating and start turning! Make a pen first (probably the quickest and easiest if you have all the gear already)... that way if the other projects don't work out, you at least have something to offer.

campbellton
7th May 2008, 10:57 PM
thanks to every one for the input. i would love to get into pen making but as yet dont have a mandrel nore a lathe with a morse taper. have to devise something soon. pretty sure i am going to go with the lidded box. it will be simple yet still appealing. a braclet would be a good idea but not sure of what jewlery she is already wearing. i should get some time tommorow after school to make a start. and really have to hall ass to finsh it on sat morning. i will post compleated pictures.

Dean
7th May 2008, 11:16 PM
May the force be with you :)

abitfishy
7th May 2008, 11:17 PM
Is she cute? :)

Dean
7th May 2008, 11:28 PM
Is she cute? :)

Now now the boy has enough on his plate trying to get his project done without worrying about someone stealing his date :p:p:p:p:p

Rum Pig
8th May 2008, 08:56 AM
I think the lidded box would be great.:2tsup: I hope the your formal date is a success and I'm sure what ever they receive will be a winner you never know your luck it may be something to tell your kids one day :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing the pics

campbellton
8th May 2008, 07:49 PM
i got some time today to work on it after school about 3 hours. i got the bottom of the box mostley finshed just have to make a few finshing cuts, sanding then polish. final dimensions will be about 200*120 made out of kauri pine and probally incoperate a bit of cedar into the lid if i can. looks like saturday is going to be a big day.

P.s she is very cute. and she's mine so eyes off.:U

artme
8th May 2008, 10:31 PM
We want, indeed we demand, pics of both!:D:D:D:B

OGYT
9th May 2008, 01:23 PM
Campbellton, repeat after me: I have a job to do. I will not be rushed. But I also will not be detered from the task at hand.
:D

campbellton
10th May 2008, 12:11 AM
here are the pics of the finshed box for now ones of date to follow shortley:U. i hope she likes it. let me know what you think of it. the big night is tommorow so wish me luck:2tsup:

abitfishy
10th May 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing, but are you aware what the lid looks like?

Having said that, she probably hasn't got as sick a mind as me, so she probably won't twig. I'm sure she'll love it mate. Hope the night goes well for you. Just be yourself and things will go just fine.

artme
10th May 2008, 08:32 AM
Nice timber, nice turning and nice finish!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Shape looks a little odd from the photo but I'm sure everything will be fine.

billym
10th May 2008, 08:57 AM
Go for it Scott:luck::luck:, Thanks for restoring my faith in the young.

ss_11000
10th May 2008, 01:56 PM
hope she like it mate:2tsup:

campbellton
11th May 2008, 04:13 PM
she loved the box and everyone else there thought it was the swetest thing. but yeah things didnt really work out in the end. at the after party the sheila hooked up with some random that she had met that night. 6 hrs planing and turning compared to 1.5 hrs drunken flurting how did i lose out. shows what you get for trying. thanks everyone i have had my winge now and its all good.

Groggy
11th May 2008, 04:21 PM
That's wimmin' fer ya :D

Charleville
11th May 2008, 05:03 PM
For what it is worth, mate, I told my wife and daughter about your gift and they thought that it was just the sweetest thing to do. You are well underway to understanding women, I would think.

However, don't get too hung up about the downside of the experience. Shallow women are more trouble than they are worth. Keep doing that sort of genuine thoughtfulness that you displayed in making that box and you will be be rewarded well in excess of the effort expended throughout your life.

In twenty years time, that girl will hate herself for being so shallow.

abitfishy
11th May 2008, 05:56 PM
Oh mate, so sorry it didn't work out after all that work.

The perfect girl will come along sometime, and she really will appreciate your work. You just have to be patient. :2tsup:

artme
11th May 2008, 10:03 PM
Was looking forward to another photo!!:B:B:q

Rhys Cooper
24th May 2008, 10:44 PM
i have a formal coming up (november) and i to am making an item of some sort for my 'date'. this gives me another idea to think of. GL with your formal

robyn2839
25th May 2008, 01:12 AM
Hey everyone. I have my school formal in a few days and I am contemplating turning something for my formal date, not exactly sure what though. I was thinking either turning a corsage for her wrist or either turning a lidded box to present the corsage in. just wanting some input from other people if this could work out. i am also open to any other suggestions you might have.
Thanks Scott. :2tsup:<o></o>

if you would like to contact me ,i would be glad to help you with your gift ,and offer to help you as i have the machinery and the materials ,and would be glad to help you make your gift, i am at sandstone point ,pm me for address and ph number...........bob

funkychicken
25th May 2008, 04:10 PM
if you would like to contact me ,i would be glad to help you with your gift ,and offer to help you as i have the machinery and the materials ,and would be glad to help you make your gift, i am at sandstone point ,pm me for address and ph number...........bob

You're a tad late Bob:roll:

campbellton
27th May 2008, 10:02 PM
thanks for the offer bob but i am finshed.
id defintally do something special with it rhys cooper. i hope you formal is a sucess. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=19968)

mobjack68
28th May 2008, 01:29 AM
Since she broke it off....tell her you want the box back!!!!