PDA

View Full Version : QLD Beech

Outbackrr
7th May 2008, 10:49 AM
Old beech (not the MIL) log about 350mm diameter 1200mm long.

Swap for carving timbers.

robyn2839
17th May 2008, 10:34 PM
what sort of carving timbers are you after ?...bob

goodwoody
18th May 2008, 09:15 AM
What do you want as a swap? Damien.

Outbackrr
18th May 2008, 11:18 AM
Tassie stuff: Sassafras & Myrtle, Bob/Damien

Noel

wheelinround
18th May 2008, 11:30 AM
darn QLD again

wheelinround
3rd June 2008, 11:28 AM
Outbackrr thank you for a most generous offer worthy of a greenie for the thought alone.

Ray

wheelinround
12th June 2008, 05:17 PM
:D:D:D

Many Many thanks Noel :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Got a BIG parcel today oh the smell of wet cardboard :wink: and damp QLD Beech no no not the one with sand on it this type.

Woodlee
25th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Noice lumpa wood.
Whatcha gonna make outta that Ray?

Big hollowing job maybe?

Kev.

wheelinround
25th June 2008, 06:23 PM
Noice lumpa wood.
Whatcha gonna make outta that Ray?

Big hollowing job maybe?

Kev.

Its a beaut piece a timber Kev stored out at OTGA at the moment till it dries out a bit and then we can cut it up. Not sure if it got wet on the way down or it was raining when Noel cut it up.
It has check right down the middle and halfway from the top to outer edge consultation with others who know and advise me in this matter proved what I thought of doing with it.
Top half cut off giving two long bits which can be cut further to make either boxes or small bowls.
The bottom half cut in two and two natural edged bowls looks at this stage the way to go of course any scarp off cuts goes to pen making for LOML.:doh:

Outbackrr
25th June 2008, 07:26 PM
Nature of the Beech, Ray. Just plain holds it's moisture no matter how old it is (and that stuff is OLD). Useless as firewood:)

It will dry out a bit now that it's been sliced in half. Maybe cut it to blanks you want and let them dry for a while?

wheelinround
25th June 2008, 08:33 PM
Nature of the Beech, Ray. Just plain holds it's moisture no matter how old it is (and that stuff is OLD). Useless as firewood:)

It will dry out a bit now that it's been sliced in half. Maybe cut it to blanks you want and let them dry for a while?

:2tsup: happening next wednesday Noel I hope

wheelinround
12th July 2008, 12:37 PM
Cut them re-sawn into blanks all but one piece spalting looks good but it wont remain when turned unfortunately.

One piece kept for future use

Larger blanks will be natural edge me thinks wire brushed

all need a bit of drying yet still very wet microwave time may help a little