PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TIMBER TO USE?

DPB
8th October 2002, 11:16 AM
Judging by the lack of activity on this Forum, I question whether this question will yield a valid answer - but here goes!

I am thinking about building a rocking horse on a slider base. My intention is to make one somewhat more advanced than the one the Triton plans show which is rather flat in profile. I have the plans for the "Little Red Rocker" (see http://www.gordonswoodcrafts.com/10-117.shtml).

I want to avoid Radiata Pine, and am thinking about Mountain Ash (Tassie Oak). But perhaps this is not a good wood for carving contours. I am thinking of using an angle grinder fitted with the Arbortech mini carver.

Any suggestions welcome http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif.

------------------
Woodchuck Canuck
Good luck is the residue of good planning!

Cliff Rogers
8th October 2002, 01:03 PM
G'day.

I haven't tried it myself but I have a friend building a wooden boat & he has used some Silver Quandong to carve some of the curved parts & he is raving about it.
We are in Cairns so you may have trouble finding it.
If you can get some, try a bit first.

------------------
Catchya,
Cliff

soundman
8th October 2002, 10:46 PM
Not much activity in carving land buy I read it if its there.
I don't carve but its interesting.
Keep posting & others may too.

Cheers.

ubeaut
10th October 2002, 12:25 AM
Is it going to be painted like a traditional rocking horse? If so why waste your money on anything other than pine.

If it is to be left as natural timber think about damar minyak (about as close as you can get to Kauri in Australia) it will finish to a nice honey colour and is pretty easy to carve. A student of mine made 2 fully carved horses out of it an it looked brilliant.

In my oppinion it is best to go for a soft wood rather than a hardwood like mountain ash etc. as the softwood will dent with use where the hardwood will chip and wear away more readily. Avoid dense hardwoods like redgum end others, much too heavy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

DPB
11th October 2002, 10:08 AM
Thanks, Gents.

My intention is to allow the natural beauty of the wood to show through. I don't intend to paint the horse.

Neil, if I use damar minyak, how should I finish it (assuming I get that far) http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif?

------------------
Woodchuck Canuck

ubeaut
11th October 2002, 11:18 AM
Personally I like the Dewaxed White Shellac on natural timber finish as it won't darken the timber any more than wetting it down with water.

I would give it a couple of coats of this, then sand it finely to make it nice and smooth. Finish off with our new Hard Shellac (which is also a dewaxed white). This should give you a really nice finish that is pretty durable. And if you want a bit of extra fun, buff it with our Traditional Wax and watch the kids skid off the horses back when they start to rock. http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughing.gif Hehehehehe..........

Your other option are th spray it with lacquer or use polyurethane. But it definitely won't be as nice as the shellac or anywhere near as easy to use. Don't be fooled into oiling, it will turn into a dirty mess within months. Yuck.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

PS If you spray, try using EEE-Ultra Shine over the top to bring up an even better finish.

DPB
11th October 2002, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Neil.

Your recommendations are appreciated. I've got everything but your new hard shellac. If I get to the finishing stage, I will use that finished with the EEE-Ultra Shine.

I will soon be purchasing a sprayer, so I will spray the shellac.

------------------
Woodchuck Canuck

Craig Lawson
3rd March 2003, 11:46 AM
It doesn't bear any relevence in scale, but I've recently relief carved Tassie Oak on some cabinet doors with some success. It was an art nouveau pattern with sweeping curves and nodules.
It cut quite cleanly, but only with sharp tools, as you would expect.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Craig

DPB
3rd March 2003, 12:07 PM
Craig, Mate, as you see from the date of posting, this was a question I asked last October.

Just finished the Rocking Horse this weekend using damar minyak. It's a real treat to carve. Chisels cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

I just need to tack up the horse with a saddle, briddle, etc.

If I do this again, I will likely use the same wood, but go for a fully carved horse. (The one I did has a carved upper body but the legs have simple profiles.) http://www.gordonswoodcrafts.com/10-117.shtml).

I've put three coats of dewaxed shellac on the horse with light sanding between each. Final two coats next will be Neils new hard shellac. When completed I'll post a pic.

:cool:

JackoH
3rd March 2003, 04:40 PM
Whats with all these photographs? If thats Doorstop I'll go *~^*<!
He's much uglier than that!
>
Regards John H.:D:confused:
>
And why does my name appear in the post. I didn't put it there!

BrianR
14th May 2003, 02:14 PM
I believe a very popular wood for rocking horses is Jelutong, Dyera constulata.

Wild Dingo
18th May 2003, 03:09 AM
Probably show my utter ignorance here as usual :rolleyes:

But in my readings on this thing... the Hamericans seem to favor a wood called "Bass" wood now being as Ive never clapped eyes on this stuff Im showin me utter ignorance of its textures density etc... but surely there is an equivilant Aussie timber that one could use with as good results?

mmmmm wondering how sharp me chisels are about now may just have to grab a chunk of Tuart and see what thats like?!! :D

Iain
18th May 2003, 09:16 AM
I've seen the Yanks use Cottonwood and my Mrs has identified it here, although I cannot recall what it is called.
It could well be what they call Bass wood and I beleive it is easy to carve.
The local variety (not a native) has a very thick almost cork like bark.

BrianR
18th May 2003, 11:23 AM
Iain,

Cottonwood is Populus deltoides. Common name is Eastern Cottonwood.
aka. Southern cottonwood, Poplar, Eastern poplar, Necklace poplar, Whitewood.

nadcarves
19th May 2003, 03:15 AM
Basswood is a member of the Linden family..Small cells,thin cell walls make it nice to carve.Same properties make it easy for the bacteria, etc, to eat,Does not stain well,end grain sops the stain up,dosen't weather well,So you paint the stuff,or leave natural.Because wood is so bland,it is ideal for small carvings to be sprayed with a clear finish,no grain pattern to detract from carving.Hardness varies with area,warmer clime/softer the wood/larger growth patterns.In Ohio,I lost a 20 inch by 8 ft log,split in half under a tarp.The canvas held the water in,and the wood spalted and turned punky... Cottonwood very soft,does not take sharp detail,doubt it finishes well,The root is used to make The Indian dolls.Neither bass/cotton burn well in a wood stove.Cottonwood mainly used in chainsaw carvings,if you use cutters ,they tend to take control of the cutting and can make things interesting.Back to Bass,the traditional wood of carousel horses,most dramatic horse wood would be Black Walnut,with the trappings painted and antiqued. Actually,with the cost of basswood being figured in cubic inches by some,and walnut at a price per board foot,it can be actually much less expensive for a carver to do a Parker Jumper in Walnut.