PDA

View Full Version : Triton Metal cutting saw

Rossluck
9th May 2008, 07:07 PM
For anyone who's interested there's a Triton metal cutting saw at Bunnings Browns Plains (QLD) on sale for $260. But I talked them down to $200 for the one I bought because it wasn't in a box.

I suppose they're limited compared with cut-off saws, but I've tried it on some RHS and it cuts through it like butter.

Grahame Collins
10th May 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi Ross,
I have never bothered with them as I feel they are basically a niche tool, seriously limited to 90 and 45 degree cuts.
Having said that, they do that function extremely well.

If they had only made them ( sigh! ) with an adjustable angle cut, say 0 to 90 degrees ,I would have been 1st in line to buy one. That is where I believe Triton shot themselves in the foot.

The next closest contender that does this is the a Makita model that runs about $1200 from memory but is adjustable and will cut heavy bar- I saw 60mm bar sliced up like sausage, but guess it will cut more.

Grahame

hux
10th May 2008, 09:39 AM
Non abrasive cutting saws are really nice to use. Certainly that is cheap enough to justify one over buying an abrasive cutoff saw if the sections you cut are under 2".
Since buying a small horizontal band saw my abrasive cutoff saw is just sitting unused. Really any metal blade cuter is just far better to have - although slower.

I recently had the opportunity to use a big Thomas cold cut saw (like a Brobo) and man do I want one - the only obstacle is 3ph power. The finish off the blade if remarkable, the cutting power phenomenal.

Good pickup Ross.

malb
10th May 2008, 10:27 PM
Single phase cold cut saws are becoming available on ebay etc. Haven't played with them, so couldn't say what the capacities are like or build quality, but they are starting to happen.

hux
11th May 2008, 08:18 AM
Single phase cold cut saws are becoming available on ebay etc. Haven't played with them, so couldn't say what the capacities are like or build quality, but they are starting to happen.

Yes I saw one advertised this week I think. But I have a cunning plan that involved me getting 3ph power put on. After that point all the gear gets cheaper from auctions etc.

Rossluck
11th May 2008, 09:20 AM
Yes I saw one advertised this week I think. But I have a cunning plan that involved me getting 3ph power put on. After that point all the gear gets cheaper from auctions etc.

That was my cunning plan as well hux, but it all falls to bits when you want to move somewhere and discover that they don't have 3 phase. :(

I've had my usual problems with my own impatience and abrasive saws. I tend to force them onto the metal and they flex and produce a distorted cut and a spray of sparks that can be 4 metres long (ususally aimed at SWMBO's car, but that's not the problem :wink:).

My brother has a water cooled metal bandsaw, which is probably the best of all. But the Triton is perfect for mucking around every now and then with rhs up to 50mm . They actually tell you in the instructions that it is detrimental to the blade to cut too slowly, and that you have to slice at a reasonably good speed. For me this is good.:2tsup: