PDA

View Full Version : 036 rebuild

quercus
10th May 2008, 12:35 AM
I have a trusty Stihl 036, which has done it's fair share of work. It lacks power, and despite new piston ring, it still lacks guts.

The cost of a genuine new cylinder and piston from Stihl make it prohibitively expensive.

There doesnt seem to be any after market kits for this model, although there are for other saws, on ebay. I just want to retire it so I can cut firewood.

I recently upgraded it to a 441 magnum, which goes very well, but I hate throwing machinery away, so would appreciate any hints or tips

pete101
19th May 2008, 11:45 PM
try chainsaw collectors forum seems to be plenty of info and parts available I have already been helped twice

Saltman
31st May 2008, 01:44 PM
I found these guys in the US really helpful and cheap compared to Australian prices. I purchased a used but in excellent condition 056 cylinder piston, rings, gudgeon pin & head for $AU110 including postage. This compares to over $1000 to purchase from the local dealer. AND the bits came in 10 days!
http://stores.ebay.com/Curts-Stihl-Chainsaw-Parts-Plus

Phil_C
17th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Hello quercus
I agree with Saltman. I have also purchased spares from Curt and they are always as described. Also just because he does not have it listed on ebay does not mean he can't get it for you. He can source after market cylinders and piston kits etc. Be aware of chinese copies though.

Regards

Phil