PDA

View Full Version : timber for 36 shev

weisyboy
10th May 2008, 10:52 PM
i have a 1936 shev sport roadster this mdel ahd a lot of timber work in it that i need to replace.

doorlinings, seat frame, soft top frame, dikie seat, dash etc

what i want to know is what timber should i use to rebuild these parts?

i asume it needs to be light and strong and look pretty good.

any help would be great

Burnsy
10th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Geez Carl is there anything you don't have your finger in:oo:. Nice car to own, but lots of work to get them back to original. Do a Google search for 36 Chev restoration and see what you come up with. Then you can compare timbers that others have used with what you have available.

Christopha
11th May 2008, 12:39 PM
PM Gra, he is the resident car restoration guru...

wheelinround
12th May 2008, 08:34 AM
Carl for body frame etc Ash or Coach Wood is used, for seat frames Maple, Cedar.
:doh:been to long to recall some of the others

Nice vehicle Carl:2tsup::2tsup:

Gra
12th May 2008, 09:11 AM
First step, (and most important)

Nice car. Mate of mine in South Aust has one. I also have a pic of my mother sitting on the running board of one when she was a child (Must have been almost new).

As for the wood, Wheelen has it for what was used at the time. For the interior what we use now is generic hardwood (Tassie oak), what anyone else uses :shrug:, ask around the local club. Remember it will be hidden so it doesnt need to look all that good, And it never did in the first place, if you look at an original body they are pretty rough.

As for the hood bows, most of the ones I have seen have uses laminated ply, The ones on our car have lasted about 20 years, and are just starting to loose it

Keeps us up to date on the progress

echnidna
12th May 2008, 02:59 PM
Any stable hardwood that is easy to work with when seasoned is quite adequate.