PDA

View Full Version : Scraper insert for stanley bench planes

Woodlee
11th May 2008, 12:37 AM
I,ve been surfing ,and found this site , besides the scraper insert idea and development ,the guy looks to be a very talented person .
His engraving is exquisite .

The conversion of the Stanley 112 scraper blade adjuster maybe next on my list .

http://hamlertools.blogspot.com/

Also a review on the scraper insert .
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Convert+A+Handplane+Into+A+Scraper+With+New+Tooling.aspx

Apologies if I am behind the times here and every one has seen it .It's new to me.

Kev.

derekcohen
11th May 2008, 03:28 PM
Kev

Paul Hamler makes good stuff. I have one of his planes. I am on the wait list for his scraper insert. I must say, however, that I do not think it will be value-for-money. For the cost of his insert, you should look at buying the Veritas Scraper Plane. It is the best scraper plane on the market.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Woodlee
11th May 2008, 11:09 PM
Derek ,
I have a Stanley 112 which I like very much ,if I didn't have the Stanley I would definitely be looking at the Veritas.
The spring mod looks like a good idea for the Stanley ,but it is a pain taking the pivot pins out of the Stanley .I just machined up new ones a few months ago and reamed the holes in the blade holder to get it to stop flopping about.

I was wondering what the cost for the insert is as he doesn't list it on his blog site.
Do you know what the financial damage is or are you just flying blind?

Kev.

derekcohen
11th May 2008, 11:27 PM
Kev

It was $125 USD the last I heard.

I discussed the spring mod with Paul at length. He recommended it for my Stanley #112. I have not got around to it as I do not use a scraper plane much, and my Stanley (with LN blade) works very well as is.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Woodlee
12th May 2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info , a bit exxy ,but it looks well made .
I don't use my scraper a lot either ,and I don't think I will be extracting the pivot pins out again to put a spring on the adjuster .
If I had known about the spring mod when I was replacing the pivots I probably would have done it.

Kev.