PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic tool bar - Oz supplier.

Robert WA
3rd February 2004, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know an outlet for this item in Oz?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=987781&categoryId=1476

I can get it from Northern Tools in the US or from Lee Valley in Canada, but can't locate a supplier in Australia. It is much more powerful than the standard tool bar available at MIK and other Oz stores, at 20 pounds per inch of contact rather than just 2 pounds.

Rob

PaulS
3rd February 2004, 05:05 PM
Just a suggestion..

Why not make your own, get some rare earth magents, drill some holes the right size and glue the magents into the timber.

I got some magnets from oatley electronics and used them to hold a dust vacuum hose onto a router table.

http://oatleyelectronics.com

they say they are
"These magnets are so strong they are dangerous."

sam63
4th February 2004, 10:10 AM
Robert,

There is one in the 2003 Carbatec catalogue.

Cheers,
Sam

John Saxton
4th February 2004, 10:35 PM
Robert,I got some from the Snap-On local tools guy with the local franchise.
These are very strong and will hold most hand tools without any probs.
Cheers :)

Markw
5th February 2004, 01:56 PM
Rob
I'm not sure what type of tools you intend to use with these holders but as my workshop must cater for all forms of repairs, the thought of imparting a magnetic flux to my tools by contact with strong magnets is not something I would wish for. Sometimes my bench is covered with saw dust other times its covered with metal filings and unlike saw dust, when you pick up something covered with filings you can quite often get a splinter.

just a thought

Mark

seriph1
5th February 2004, 11:15 PM
a bloody good thought too about the magnetic tools! The oones I wish were magnetic arent and the others are :)

magnetic knife racks look exactly the same as this so I assume they are - available from all chef's suppliers and major dept. stores - in particular there's a place in Elisabeth Street melbourne for those in that area.