PDA

View Full Version : Woven chair seat help please

Oldblock
3rd February 2004, 01:25 PM
I have to rebuild a chair with a seat covered with what I think is woven reed. I'm looking for some knowledge on the material and how it is worked before I make a fool of myself.

The pattern forms four triangles except for the corners where the legs are, all.meeting in the centre of the seat.

The fibre looks like a dried plant stem (reed?) about 4mm wide and quite pliable. Between the top and underside appears to be stuffed with more reed.

What is it?
Any tips on working it?
Where to get in Perth?

Ray

Phil Jennings
3rd February 2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Ray,
it's possible to get it in a prewoven sheet that you cut to size and hold it in place with a thick cane around the border. Try your nearest upholsterer for tips and supplies.
Best regards
Phil

ozwinner
3rd February 2004, 04:13 PM
Try here
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_id=814&objectgroup_id=409&catid=6

I've seen it somewhere else on the web, but cant think where.
Cheers, Allan

sboyes
3rd February 2004, 06:43 PM
I have see this being done at a craft fair in England, its not as easy as it looks. The reeds come from Egypt or Turkey where there aren't any nitrates in the water, this makes the reeds start breaking after about 10 years. Getting the moisture right and getting an even thickness with the twist takes a lot of practice. I have seen hanks of twisted fibre that look like reeds somewhere, I suggest start by trying somewhere like Spotlight or Lincraft or a good craft shop.

Good luck
:)

arose62
3rd February 2004, 06:48 PM
Just finished reading a book on "Green Woodworking" which covers this sort of thing (among others).

At least some chairs are made with the seat woven from strips of inner bark.

Cheers,
Andrew