PDA

View Full Version : Painting interior brick wall

mikey
3rd February 2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

W have jusy bought our first house and are now considering coating our internal exposed brick wall with some form of clear sealant / paint???

Has anyboby out there done this before and do you have any advice - process, product to apply.

The proposed process will be:

1. buff the bricks to remove grit and build up of just / gunk
2. spay a thin coat on to provide a preliminary seal and to ensure that grout stuff doesnt flake off.
3. hand paint on remainder of sealant/pain

Does this sound okay.

Advice gladly welcome.

regards
Mike

Justin
3rd February 2004, 06:12 PM
Be careful buffing the bricks, I experimented on some with a low speed brass brush and it put an unattractive gloss on the area in question.

Justin.

mikey
3rd February 2004, 06:29 PM
Justin,

Thanks for that - thought I would just use a soft headed buffer as some of the brickwork is a little fragile (house is about 1930's). Any insight into the right type of product to apply to the bricks? Our goal is to seal and also to bring the colour out a little more.

Mikey

dale
4th February 2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by mikey
Justin,

Thanks for that - thought I would just use a soft headed buffer as some of the brickwork is a little fragile (house is about 1930's). Any insight into the right type of product to apply to the bricks? Our goal is to seal and also to bring the colour out a little more.

Mikey

Typically you'll find a number of spare bricks under the house. Practice a number of different techniques on them, or on some in an inconspicuous place.

mikey
5th February 2004, 09:04 AM
Dale,

thanks for that - have been paving in old bricks outside, so i have a few left to practice on.

mike

seriph1
5th February 2004, 09:42 AM
Good on you for getting your first place and for buying a 30's home. Wish I still had mine! ..... what area are you in?

now to your issue:

sealing/painting bricks is usually not advisable due to it stopping the bricks/walls from "breathing". This can cause capillary effect, which basically causes moisture to rise through the bricks and they deteriorate over time and cause noxious mold growth.

There are finishes made specifically for masonry and are (I think) latex based) - I suggest you contact a paint manufacturer and seek advice. (also a google on "problems with painting brick" might be helpful)

I have lived in a home similar to yours and would be interested to know what you intend to do to it ie: modernise - restore - renovate etc etc. I might be bale to help further once I know what it is you would like to achieve.

you can see a couple of pics of that place on my www

www.geocities.com/seriph1

success

ozwinner
5th February 2004, 03:52 PM
Painting interior brick wall.
Why?

mikey
11th February 2004, 12:44 PM
not painting but using a clear coating to bring out colour, reduce dust, provide a great contemp background for paintings etc - using a permeable latex or epoxy coating (a Grimes product apparently) - main issue is to retain breathability.

why? cos it's my first huse and i like a challenge.

Cheers
Mike

seriph1
11th February 2004, 05:34 PM
excellent response

:)

PM me if I can help in some way with renovation advice

success