PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Sydney Wood Show shopping list?

DonN
16th June 1999, 08:51 AM
Fellow Woodworkers
I would lik to warn people about a nasty person offering free plans for machiney. He is sending a virus which can not be cleaned by any of the current virus scans, although they will detect it. If your software detects the virus just delet the file without opening the message. If your software does not detect the virus and you open it, you will be like me and formatting you hard drive which I have just completed doing.
DonN

Rod Smith
16th June 1999, 12:37 PM
Thanks Don, I'll be warey. Sorry to hear about the vandalism on your PC. See ya , Rod

------------------

SteveL
25th June 1999, 10:30 AM
A virus cannot be transmitted by a simple email or text message. However a virus can be included as a 'macro' in MS Word documents.
(A virus or 'worm' needs a kind of executable code to clone or activate itself - email or text massages do not have such code)
However, contrary to the post 'macro' virii can be cleaned successfully.
There is a free AV software available from Computer Associates using the 'VET" engine. They offer FREE updates and support for life.
Visit http://www.cai.com/antivirus/personal/
This is fair-dinkum, I've used it for 2 months so far, and have recieved two updates.
It has found macro virii on some .doc files that were given to me on disk.
Regular updates (each month) mean that you stay protected.

DonN
26th June 1999, 09:09 AM
Steve
The virus is called W95/HPS it comes via attachments. You virus scan will not even look at it. I called all the virus scan companys when I found the virus (only by chance) and was told by all there was no fix for this virus.
DonN

I_wanna_Shed
13th May 2008, 09:10 PM
With only a few weeks to go, I thought I'd see what is on everyone's shopping list.

If I manage to get there this year (got a big project on at work :(), I'm after the U-Beaut Polishers Handbook and some U-beaut gear (from Jim Carroll's stand this year, I believe). Also some turning blanks and some purpleheart box making blanks to go with some other timbers I already have. Then, if my hard earned pennies allow for it, a skew chisel (still deciding which brand).

I think thats all. After previously going to the shows with a much, MUCH larger "WISHlist", I've now learnt to limit it to a "NEED list". :rolleyes:

Ohhhh to be the guys who take a trailer!

Cheers,
Nathan.

Luddite
13th May 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I am after the LN low angle jack for my shooting board. Does LN do any specials for the show.......I wonder??

Looking forward to it,

Anthony

Poppa
13th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Well I'm picking up a band saw from a fellow forumite (and giving him a small-to-medium sized wad of cash in exchange!), and I'm hoping to have enough left over for a decent drill press. But we'll see. And probably some small but interesting pieces of timber to add to my mystery pile (as in "it is still a mystery what I'll do with it!").

If I had loads of cash a jointer and thicknesser would also be on the list! But they might have to wait a while longer...

BobR
13th May 2008, 10:13 PM
Mostly just timber.

dlim2986
13th May 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm after some burl's, especially WA stuff.

Sawdust Maker
13th May 2008, 10:34 PM
Uncle Neil's polishing book:2tsup:

a couple of other supplies (mainly in the pen line) from Mr Carroll

and maybe something from the kind folks at Trend Timbers

and ...

whatever else I think I can get past the sniffer dogs employed by SWMBO :o

ian
14th May 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi,

I am after the LN low angle jack for my shooting board. Does LN do any specials for the show.......I wonder??

Looking forward to it,

Anthonythe last few years LN has had 10% off for the show

if it's for a shooting board, I'd suggest the #9
the extra mass makes a big difference,
it's what I use

ian

bsrlee
14th May 2008, 04:10 AM
Possibly my pre-show shopping list - depends on how many shops offer week-before sales :U

1. Jet 17" drill press. Currently the best on the local market IMHO, would have liked one of the new Powermatics or a Delta, but they are not being brought in by anyone. There is also the second hand market, something 30+ years old, not beat up and single phase with a 6" depth capacity.

2. Probably a Festo Domino - I actually have a project that has been hanging around for 18 months that needs either a Domino or a loose tennon jig, and I have more chance of putting the money together for a Domino than getting organised enough to make the jig. Or maybe a Leigh M&T jig and/or a bench mortiser if I can find the room.

So I'm being good & not splashing out with Lee Valley until after the show - sorry Rob :B

Pat
14th May 2008, 10:21 AM
Teknatool SNII or Titan, depending on what's available, I've ran out of Unca Neil's Sanding Sealer, nearly out of Trad Wax and EEE and am enjoying the finish the Shellawax gives, so another bottle of that. More Danish Oil for the burls. Carbatec has a "Delux Alignment System" for the T/saw/DP and the Nova Acruline system for the lathe. Then there is the incidentals, then the last minute wallet emptying round with the Wongster:U

Wongo
14th May 2008, 10:33 AM
Wood, wood, wood and more wood.

Bought some NG rosewood from Anagote on Monday.Might get more in the next week. Then I will order some blackwood from Malcolm then get some more at the show.

:D

Rhys Cooper
14th May 2008, 04:44 PM
i think my woodwork class are going for an excursion. i hope so, but i wont be buying anythinig, i wont have much money.

bsrlee
14th May 2008, 04:52 PM
Late-ish additions: An Ally router plate from PWS, and a solid phenolic one if they have them in stock - I really need to make a router table/extension wing for my table saw and I want to be able to change the position of the router depending on what I wam working on.

I was looking at the new 'story stick' from the same place, but looking at the US site, they only have imperial markings :C

Wongo
14th May 2008, 05:03 PM
then the last minute wallet emptying round with the Wongster:U

Yes the last minute tour of duty. Some sanding discs, sandpaper, a few router bits, knobs, wax... the list goes on. :D

Sebastiaan56
14th May 2008, 05:21 PM
Some gouges for carving, preferably older ones, timber, timber, timber.

yjnb
14th May 2008, 06:51 PM
oops

Cliff Rogers
14th May 2008, 06:58 PM
Yer all dream'n.... there won't be anything left after the Brissy show. :D

Sawdust Maker
14th May 2008, 09:31 PM
Yer all dream'n.... there won't be anything left after the Brissy show. :D

Looks like I'll just save my admission fee if nuthins around
thanks for the heads up Cliff:D

Scally
15th May 2008, 12:48 PM
I will have another look at the wide belt sanders.
But only looking!!

Zed
15th May 2008, 01:39 PM
whatever you buy, if you ask for a disxount expect to be treated as a war criminal!!! lol!! fair dinkum i've been treated as a leper at times...

I want a snuggle pillow... and also want my shoes buffed...

but seriously... would be interested in anyone posting a review on the new Hammer 4Hp bandsaw if its on display.

Cliff Rogers
16th May 2008, 09:46 AM
OK, I'll have a look for a new Hammer to review, somebody else can do the4Hp bandsaw. :D

wheelinround
16th May 2008, 04:26 PM
I want one of those thingymajigs

Cliff Rogers
16th May 2008, 05:20 PM
.. would be interested in anyone posting a review on the new Hammer 4Hp bandsaw if its on display.
Brendan says to tell you it is just like a Hammer Bandsaw with a 4HP motor. :D

I looked at one, looks good. :2tsup: