PDA

View Full Version : Cherry

rodl
13th May 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi gang

I have just scored (still have to pick it up) and don't know the size but it took two blokes to drag it to where it is now a cherry tree, some nectarine tree and some apple tree that have just been cut down are these any good for turning

Rod

DJ’s Timber
13th May 2008, 09:27 PM
Yes they are good for turning :2tsup: but you need to break them down ASAP otherwise they'll split like buggery on you.

woodwork wally
13th May 2008, 09:42 PM
Yes they are good for turning :2tsup: but you need to break them down ASAP otherwise they'll split like buggery on you.
I second that and a good coat of wax on all end cuts Keep them out of sun but where they can get a flow of gentle air or the other alternative is store them in a container with holes in bttom but Great timber for looks regards WW.Wally

joe greiner
13th May 2008, 10:28 PM
Great timber for turning; the cherry at least, and so I've heard for most fruitwood. For large turnings that use the full log or half log (bowls, hollow forms, etc.) definitely wax the ends to encourage gradual drying. And store above ground and covered. For smaller spindle work, you can sometimes just let 'em crack and use the parts between cracks, because the cracks relieve shrinkage stress. (Still store above ground and covered, though.) Try doing some of each.

Joe

rodl
14th May 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the replies I will follow the advice and cut them up and seal

Rod

dai sensei
14th May 2008, 10:14 PM
Same advise I gave Carl, any fruit tree is good for turning is my rule :U

NeilS
14th May 2008, 10:18 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #cccccc" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Most fruit and nut tree woods are worth a go. I never refuse an offer of any of these woods. Same advice as the others on the inevitable cracking.

Neil
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->