PDA

View Full Version : 8" Sakura Bowl for a Friend....

Stu in Tokyo
13th May 2008, 09:48 PM
I whipped this one off the lathe today, as a gift for a friend Neil who came to visit me in the hospital a lot, and entertained me by teasing the nurses (all in good fun).
Neil and his wife came by the shop the other day, and bought a nice 1/2 bottle of Champagne, they said it was a present so could be please wrap it up, we did, then they gave it to Emiko and I for a combo Mother's Day/Birthday present to us.

Emiko and I enjoyed it that evening. I know it sounds funny to give wine to a wine merchant, but to be honest, we would not have bought ourselves a nice bottle like that, so it was a treat.

This is for them as a "Thank You" from Emiko and I.........

73419 73420 73421 73422

This is Sakura (Cherry) that I got a while back, I made it a bit beefy, as I want them to use it, and they have 3 sons, ages 1 to 5 so I know it will see some banging around, thus, no sharp edges either

The finish is just mineral oil, easy to keep up. The bowl is about 8" in diameter.

Pics taking with the new cell phone camera, I'm still figuring out which settings are the best.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome!

Claw Hama
13th May 2008, 10:16 PM
Great looking bowl you've done good! nice looking timber too.

littlebuddha
13th May 2008, 10:20 PM
Nice boel Stu, the wood is gorgous colour not come across it, you should ship it all out to me save yourself the bother of turning it, hell think of all the sharpening i will save you:D some good pics for a cell phone whats the meg on it. Hows the leg now, god enough to kick yet, plenty of bed baths in the hospital i hope:D:rolleyes:. All the best stu..LB

Sawdust Maker
13th May 2008, 10:52 PM
Nice bowl

I agree with little buddha, you need more rest, with the leg on the mend and all - we'll happily take such timber off your hands and ...

No really - love the grain and with such little nippers I hope they get a lot of mileage (kilometerage?) out of it

Stu in Tokyo
13th May 2008, 11:41 PM
Yes, the wood is nice, tough to turn, is is really hard and chips easily, but yeah the finished results are worth it!

The leg is healing, I'm back at work full time, got to take breaks, but back at work, so I figured if I got to work, I should be able to play as well! :D

No sponge baths, but at least the nurses and doctors were easy on the eyes...........

73440 73441 73442 73443
73444 73445 73446

........... I was in the Tokyo Womens Medical University Hospital.......:2tsup:

ss_11000
13th May 2008, 11:47 PM
nice bowl there stu!

great choice of hospital to lol:2tsup:

mick61
13th May 2008, 11:51 PM
That is a really nice bowl great timber.
Mick:D

RufflyRustic
14th May 2008, 05:20 PM
Good stuff Stu! :2tsup: Glad to hear you are healing, back at work, and in particular, back in your 'shed'

cheers
Wendy

Cliff Rogers
14th May 2008, 05:28 PM
:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
14th May 2008, 10:19 PM
........... I was in the Tokyo Womens Medical University Hospital.......:2tsup:

How sad, I suppose someone has to get the difficult gigs, sigh :rolleyes:

littlebuddha
14th May 2008, 10:25 PM
I rekon you went to a health spar Stu, don't get nurse's like that here:p bad leg:wink: does your wife know where you were:D:2tsup: Nice work when you can get it..LB