PDA

View Full Version : Borer damage

gnu52
13th May 2008, 09:52 PM
Hello,
We bought a 1860's mahogany bookcase at an antique auction about 3 years ago. All good until borers started to show themselves with a heavy infestation. No damage was visible until very recently.
The piece is off on Friday to be treated with methyl bromide, but has anyone got ideas on filling the residual holes? Preferably so we can hide the damage & forget the episode.
The pest control agent said although the eggs stay viable for up to 3 years he will guarantee !00% kill, so the problem should not recur.
Thanks to anyone with some clues, Bill

BUNTA
14th May 2008, 09:58 AM
Meth bromide is good stuff !!

Id use a two part resin tinted with oxide to match the finish . & apply it with a syringe !

RufflyRustic
14th May 2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Bill,

Are there borer holes on the underside of anything? Is there any chance you can test a couple of finishes to get the colour matching as close as reasonably possible there before doing the holes/whole piece?

Cheers
Wendy

gnu52
15th May 2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Wendy, We have to take the bookcase apart this evening & I'll be able to see under then,....but I expect damage. Will let you know.
Thanks Bunta, appreciate your help.
Regards, Bill

astrid
17th May 2008, 10:17 PM
dont know about meth bromide, dont know if there is any such thing as an effective borer treatment either,
I sent a cedar chest to the AQIS approved fumigator last year, the borer was still popping up 4 months later.

If I am refinishing a piece or can get to the unfinished underside, I super heat the timber (carefully) with a heat gun, if the timber is not to thick, the theory is that it pops the eggs.

Astrid