PDA

View Full Version : Sheoke best way to mill small amount.

Jarrahrules
13th May 2008, 09:53 PM
Hi

I have posted in other catagories but i feel it is a milling question and seen as the expert millers read this section I am going to post it here as well.

I have a Sheoke tree chopped and in my shed as per photos.
The large photo is of the but about 650mm diameter and 700mm long. it has more than one heart as the larger limbs started low.
I was thinking of slabing it.
I also have a fair few of 150mm to 400mm logs( sum i have ripped).
And a pile of 100mm and less.
Maybe bowls or small slabs.
A pile of 100mm or less logs.
Not sure what to do. You can only use so many pen blanks.
I have sealed all of the logs on both sides accept the 100mm and less ones.
Any segestions on milling and storage. I have been told by others that it splits easily. Some looks like it is already.

JAMC

Claw Hama
13th May 2008, 10:06 PM
This stuff dries out and cracks, even when they are growing healthy trees they are very brittle and prone to cracking and snapping. I would find something better to put my energy into, this stuff will only lead to frustration.

Oh but it burns well!!

Jarrahrules
13th May 2008, 10:27 PM
:weeping2:Thanks again Claw hammer.

I look at the timber after i cut it and it looks so good.:U:U I was hoping for a better answer than that that.:o:o:o

JAMC:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
13th May 2008, 10:47 PM
Cut as much of it through the heart as you can to relieve as much of the stress as you can. You can get some good stuff from it but you'll lose a bit as well. Here's some (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47197) I milled a while back.

Jarrahrules
13th May 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks DJ

I feel better now.:yippy:

Nice photos :2tsup:did the slabs crack??

JAMC:2tsup::2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
13th May 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes some of them have but I just resaw the ones that did into spindle or bowl turning blanks.

Jarrahrules
13th May 2008, 11:02 PM
Do you think it would help if i sealed tem all round???

JAMC:rolleyes:

BobL
14th May 2008, 02:07 AM
Do you think it would help if i sealed tem all round???

Not really.

I would still quarter it and remove the obvious bits of the heart.

weisyboy
14th May 2008, 08:46 AM
halve or better yet quater them or they wil become self splitting fire wood.

AlexS
14th May 2008, 09:18 AM
Carl & DJ are spot on. Once you start to use it, be prepared to do a lot of sharpening (it is a shocker on tools), a lot of scraping and sanding (it tears out and splinters) and make plenty of allowance for movement - it moves a lot more than most timbers with humidity changes.
But it does look good.

Jarrahrules
14th May 2008, 12:49 PM
Carl & DJ are spot on. Once you start to use it, be prepared to do a lot of sharpening (it is a shocker on tools), a lot of scraping and sanding (it tears out and splinters) and make plenty of allowance for movement - it moves a lot more than most timbers with humidity changes.
But it does look good.

Hi Alex

I don't mind a bit of wear and tear on the tolls if i come out with a good product.

Looked at your website, looks good. I noticed you have a purple heart box.
I have some purple heart and was wondering what you do to keep the color in it. There is also a thread under wood working who is asking the same thing.

Regards
JAMC

AlexS
14th May 2008, 05:40 PM
I finish with Kunos oil, but I haven't heard of the colour fading with any finish. It will darken with exposure to sunlight, but still stays purple.

Jarrahrules
14th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Hi guys

I have ripped them all in half so i supose only time will tell if it works.

Alex the purple heart i have is purple hearted cypress and it seams to go a maroon color after a while where as when you cut it it is a deap purple.

I had it trucked down to Vic from Taree NSW.

Jamie

AlexS
14th May 2008, 09:29 PM
Alex the purple heat i have i purple hearted cypress and it seams to go a maroon color after a while where as when you cut it it is a deap purple.

Jamie
That's a different timber. The stuff n my box comes from central America. I've had a sim ilar experience as yours with NG rosewood - purple when you cut it, but goes a deep red after a while. Don't know what would prevent that. You could try lots of oil.

Jarrahrules
14th May 2008, 09:38 PM
Thats no good.

:grumble: