PDA

View Full Version : Bunya Pine

Little Festo
13th May 2008, 10:48 PM
Latest effort, approx 300mm high finished in oil. The first one will still be oiled several more times. Got it pretty thin too, it's actually translucent through the base too, last photo.

Peter

funkychicken
13th May 2008, 10:54 PM
Ooh I like the one in the 3rd pic:2tsup:

TTIT
13th May 2008, 11:54 PM
I know it's wood but the wide rimmed bowl keeps screaming "tortoise shell". Very effective form to show off the Bunya's characteristics :2tsup: Looks great :U

ss_11000
13th May 2008, 11:57 PM
Awesome:2tsup:

Harry72
14th May 2008, 12:03 AM
Must be super thin, nice work Festo

prozac
14th May 2008, 12:04 AM
A lot of character showing in those pieces. I'm impressed.

prozac

OGYT
14th May 2008, 05:01 AM
Super! Gutsy, thinnin' 'em out like that! :D

Barry Hicks
14th May 2008, 07:27 AM
Looks great!

There is a turner in Hawaii (I think) who does similar
work using Norfolk Island pine which is a close cousin
to Bunya.

Have you tried using hoop pine which is another close
relly and a lot easier to source?

Little Festo
14th May 2008, 08:33 AM
Looks great!

There is a turner in Hawaii (I think) who does similar
work using Norfolk Island pine which is a close cousin
to Bunya.

Have you tried using hoop pine which is another close
relly and a lot easier to source?

Hello Barry,

Yes know about the guy in Hawaii, wish I could get what he charges for his bowls, but then his pieces are immaculate. Haven't tried the Hoop pine although my brother in law will be cutting down one in the future. Someone said that they will give me a quantity of Norfolk Pine in the next few weeks, will be very interested in trying that out.

Peter

Simomatra
14th May 2008, 09:27 AM
Peter I have hoop pine here to give away if you are interested.

Awesome job on the Bunya BTW

robutacion
14th May 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Little Festo,
Excellent effort on such beautiful pieces of Bunya Pine. It takes some nerve (and other:wink:)to get them that thin!
Amazing how some people react when something is made out of timber species with a "Pine" at the end.:? If I only had a dollar for each piece that was made from/out/with "these" species and have surpassed anything ever made out of any other existent timber species, I would be certainly a rich man.:D
With this said, make no mistake, there are lots of "mongrel" timbers out there, and the Pine species have some also. This is no contradiction, but a reality.:C
Isn't this one of those things that, we can't live with, nor we can't leave without?:D

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

rsser
14th May 2008, 04:49 PM
Lovely work Peter.

Were the 'petals' good luck or good planning?

BernieP
14th May 2008, 06:29 PM
G'Day Peter

Excellent, thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

Jarrahrules
14th May 2008, 07:18 PM
Hello Barry,

Yes know about the guy in Hawaii, wish I could get what he charges for his bowls, but then his pieces are immaculate. Haven't tried the Hoop pine although my brother in law will be cutting down one in the future. Someone said that they will give me a quantity of Norfolk Pine in the next few weeks, will be very interested in trying that out.

Peter

Hi peter

I would be interested in how you go as i have aquired a Norfolk pine. Three logs at 3m long 150mm to 400mm. It actually looks alot like your Bunya timer.

But its not it is Norfolf pine, 60 years old.

Regards
JAMC

dai sensei
14th May 2008, 10:17 PM
Amazing Peter :2tsup:

Little Festo
15th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Jarrahrules

The Bunya was turned wet then dried for about a week or so. On some I oiled early to stop cracking, seems to be working ok. I made some larger pieces with hoop pines. The knots can be used to add a feature. I learned a lesson in that it's not a good idea to have knots on the bottom of a deep vessel, hollowing can be a bit difficult as the knots can be quite hard, also some need a bit of CA glue to hold them in while turning, they sometimes can pull out, not the "living ones" when wet turning but the dead ones can be a problem - you'll know the difference. Forgot to say, try a end grain bowl. I set the "pith" with CA to stop splitting. I have used thinned lacquer, just poured on it too, let it soak in or oiled early too, same thing let it soak in. The CA does stain so to speak so only use that on the inside of some pieces where the inside is not a feature, suppose the base is not too bad if there are a few discolourations.

Re the Norfolk Pine - It's definitely worth a try. Try to have the knots near the top of the piece, as i said it's better/easier to have good support for your gouge.

When turning some large wet Bunya it was magic, got shavings to hit the ceiling, approx 3 meters.

Peter

ptc
15th May 2008, 11:14 AM
great work
as always.

Jarrahrules
15th May 2008, 09:26 PM
Jarrahrules

The Bunya was turned wet then dried for about a week or so. On some I oiled early to stop cracking, seems to be working ok. I made some larger pieces with hoop pines. The knots can be used to add a feature. I learned a lesson in that it's not a good idea to have knots on the bottom of a deep vessel, hollowing can be a bit difficult as the knots can be quite hard, also some need a bit of CA glue to hold them in while turning, they sometimes can pull out, not the "living ones" when wet turning but the dead ones can be a problem - you'll know the difference. Forgot to say, try a end grain bowl. I set the "pith" with CA to stop splitting. I have used thinned lacquer, just poured on it too, let it soak in or oiled early too, same thing let it soak in. The CA does stain so to speak so only use that on the inside of some pieces where the inside is not a feature, suppose the base is not too bad if there are a few discolourations.

Re the Norfolk Pine - It's definitely worth a try. Try to have the knots near the top of the piece, as i said it's better/easier to have good support for your gouge.

When turning some large wet Bunya it was magic, got shavings to hit the ceiling, approx 3 meters.

Peter

Thanks Peter for the advice. That is why it is so great to have these forums.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It may take a while for me to get to turn the norfolk as time is of the essence. will try and post pics once done.:roll:

I have just spent all day ripping a sheoke and packing it in a creat to dry. About 2m3. slabs, half logs, quarter logs. :DSo i will have to go back to work to pay the bills.:~

Regards
JAMC

powderpost
15th May 2008, 09:58 PM
Excellent pieces Peter... I hope more people start appreciating the qualities of good quality pine species and what they can do when well worked like your pieces.
Jim

David Mitchell
15th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Great turning ,Norfolk pine has all the limbs at the one position on the trunk and if cut through the centre of the branch gives very intersting grain.:cool:
Anyone Know anything about 'Montra Pine'?:?
I am not sure if this is how it is spell it.
I have offered some trees of this timber and was wondering if it was suitable for making furniture.:)
Regards
David Mitchell

Jarrahrules
15th May 2008, 10:30 PM
Great turning ,Norfolk pine has all the limbs at the one position on the trunk and if cut through the centre of the branch gives very intersting grain.:cool:
I have offered some trees of this timber and was wondering if it was suitable for making furniture.:)
Regards
David Mitchell

Hi David

Do you mean along the grain as the centre of the branch or through the centre of the branches through the log. Sorry for my ingnorance just that i may try this as i have about 9meters of tree. Plenty to play with.

JAMC

Little Festo
16th May 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi David

Do you mean along the grain as the centre of the branch or through the centre of the branches through the log. Sorry for my ingnorance just that i may try this as i have about 9meters of tree. Plenty to play with.

JAMC

If you turn an endgrain piece the branches/knots go all the way to the centre of the tree. I have found that they go down as the tree grows, not straight to the pith. If you strip the bark off you can see the "slope" of the branches so you can turn accordingly. If you turn a shallow piece you can have the branch/knot flow right to the centre of the piece, all the way down the walls. I now try to centre the piece through the pith as this seems to give a nicer balance with the knots. The symatry is not always true but still interesting.

The gouge tends to bounce a bit on the knots but if it's sharp it will cut ok. Remember the CA but use it before you sand and if necessary during turning.

Hope this makes sense.

Peter

Jarrahrules
16th May 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks peter

Will have a go soon.

JAMC:D

robutacion
17th May 2008, 03:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

Little Festo, I hope that you don't mind me adding a little more information about the Bunya Pine Species as one of the conifers varieties, producing what I believe is also the largest eatable size nuts and cone size (up to 10kg or more). This actually come about today when I was researching on pine issues when I come up with a Portuguese site which I recognise from some years ago, belonging to an old friend of mine. He did not have any issues with me using any of his pics on this forum, therefore you will find interesting the first pic of this selection, as it is titled with the common name in Portuguese, as one of the products that are Imported to that Country believe it or not!:?.
I have had also the opportunity to get a pic with the 3 eatable pine nuts, from the Conifers variety.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
17th May 2008, 11:16 AM

David, my money is on "Monterey pine" aka good old Pinus radiata.

Mrs Woodpecker
17th May 2008, 01:10 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: To me, this is WOW factor.
Shirley

David Mitchell
17th May 2008, 09:50 PM
Hi David

JAMC

Thought I would explain with a picture, cut this log today Norfolk Pine:cool:
Regards
David:)

Jarrahrules
17th May 2008, 09:53 PM
Thought I would explain with a picture, cut this log today Norfolk Pine:cool:
Regards
David:)

Thanks
David

I would have thought when you said the grain goes long that you would have cut highter than through the branches. Is this so you get two bowls.

JAMC

David Mitchell
17th May 2008, 09:54 PM
David, my money is on "Monterey pine" aka good old Pinus radiata.

Thanks, Frank & Earnest I will have to go and check it out :)
Regards
David

Jarrahrules
17th May 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Frank & Earnest I will have to go and check it out :)
Regards
David

The bark on the norfolk i have looks totally different to that.

JAMC

David Mitchell
17th May 2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks
David

I would have thought when you said the grain goes long that you would have cut highter than through the branches. Is this so you get two bowls.

JAMC

Yes , you could get two bowls ,The two pieces in the pic could be made into clocks, as there is not enough depth for a bowl the branches give an interesting grain.
I just cut these today to explain what I was talking about in an earlier post.:)
Regards
David

artme
18th May 2008, 09:35 AM
on the pine!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I have Norfolk, Bunya and Hoop all awaiting the caress of a gouge.

rsser
18th May 2008, 10:53 AM
The bark on the norfolk i have looks totally different to that.

JAMC

In the centre pic at least the bark looks to have been stripped off.