PDA

View Full Version : Wood Talk

WOODbTURNER
14th May 2008, 11:24 PM
It's been interesting reading about various wood species in the Forum lately.
I finally cut up the Yellow Flame Tree trunk (Peltophorum pterocarpum?) that was dumped in my back yard by my son. The original tree was 12m+ high x 400-550mm dia. which is pretty big for this species. The wood looks much better than in the photo's and is more pinkish.
Has anyone out there ever turned or worked this stuff ? I will be in big bowl mode as soon as I get back from tripping overseas.

Cheershttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/attach/jpg.gif

Claw Hama
15th May 2008, 12:25 AM
Haven't worked with it but it looks nice.

Caveman
15th May 2008, 12:39 AM
Hmmmm.................looks real nice.

Should give the Stubby a nice workout!
Hope it does split while you're away.

The only flame tree we got round here is very different (Spathodea nilotica)!

RufflyRustic
15th May 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm in drool mode!!!! :D Look at that grain!! Can't wait to see what you turn up with when you get it to the lathe.

cheers
Wendy

Sawdust Maker
15th May 2008, 11:34 AM
luvly
I'm jealous (as a result of both the wood and the lathe in the background!):U

Stevenp
15th May 2008, 02:24 PM
luvly
I'm jealous (as a result of both the wood and the lathe in the background!):U

Which one?:wink:

Sawdust Maker
15th May 2008, 08:51 PM
I had another look after posting
I'd only be greedy if I said both ... but

both :D

So doubly jealous (if that's possible)

oh yeah the timber looks fab :2tsup:
hope my sons are that good to me when they are older

Little Festo
16th May 2008, 08:54 PM
hello Jeff,

Where you off to?? How's Ian Mac? Can you please send me Trevor's email or phone no. Someone here wants to give me a couple of huge 100+ year old Camphors, too much for me.

The flame tree looks good, be sure to post the results.

My friend the wood cutter dropped off some large logs the other day, amazes me how he loads up his truck on his own, he's just a slight elderly (70+) gentleman. Said it's been a bit more difficult since he had a collapsed lung a while ago. The bush must breed them tough.

Peter

WOODbTURNER
16th May 2008, 09:26 PM
Peter,
Trevor is touring the USA and Canada at the moment. He would love to take some off you. He might even do a deal using his band saw.
I'll PM you his details. I'm off to Singapore, Hong Kong and mainland China.
IMac is as crook as (flu??) and he has to finish a contract turning bungs for the Navy's new ships stationed up here.
Cheers
Jeff