PDA

View Full Version : Compare Jet JML-1014 with Woodfast WM-305

denncarm
16th May 2008, 07:31 PM
I was going to pick up a Woodfast WM-305 midi lathe at the Brisbane Wood show but it was suggested that the Jet 1014 is a better lathe.

I <o></o>have got to go out tonight and will be doing some searches tomorrow, but I just wanted to get other people's opinion.

<o></o>They are close enough to being the same price.

<o></o>The Jet is a smaller lathe and I will probably end up having to buy the extension bed sometime in the next 12 months. The Jet also looks like it is a bit of a nuisance to change speeds.

It is my first lathe and I will just want to try a bit of everything including pens.

<o></o>Any opinions please.<o></o>

DJ’s Timber
16th May 2008, 07:42 PM
Can't comment on the Woodfast except to say that I've heard a few good reports on it. As for the Jet, where do I start, there has been quite a few negatives on this lathe recently. I've got one and have had to re-machine the spindle for it to run true, others have had a few problems as well.

Here's a another recent thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=72117&highlight=jet+mini) asking the same ??? as you

Chipman
16th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi denncarm,

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got some interesting answers. I won't comment as I am like you about to make my final decision ,probably the woodfast 305. Any way here is the link to the thread
http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=72117&highlight=chipman

Hope you get a good one!

Chipman

BobL
16th May 2008, 10:25 PM
The Jet is a smaller lathe and I will probably end up having to buy the extension bed sometime in the next 12 months. The Jet also looks like it is a bit of a nuisance to change speeds.[/color]
The Jet is not that much shorter (3") and is lower by 4" mainly because the WF has an indexer control (Bloody useful) poking out the top.

It is my first lathe and I will just want to try a bit of everything including pens.
Nooooooooooo . . . . . stay away from pens, there are too many pen makers out there and you won't make anything useful ever again!

Any opinions please.My opinion is expressed in the other thread.
Cheers

China
16th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Woodfast

denncarm
16th May 2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the information, I should have done a search but I was rushing out the door.

I think that I am leaning towards the Woodfast, there seem to be plenty of good comments and the extra 70mm in length will save me buying the extension bed for a while. The wife wants me to make a case which will be about 400mm high and I want to use turned corners.

mick61
16th May 2008, 11:00 PM
G`day when I bought my woodfast It was the difficulty of changeing speeds that put me of the jet. I have the 280s which i think the w m 305 is replaceing still going strong after about 8 years.
Mick:D

coffenup
17th May 2008, 07:39 AM
I love my woodfast and easy speed changes makes it ideal for me. As a learner I upgraded to the woodfast And as i said i am happy with it
Which ever lathe you pick enjoy and have fun
Regards Michael

Mrs Woodpecker
18th May 2008, 11:03 AM
I also got some interesting replies to my query on which lathe to buy. I have a Jet Mini ( purchased second hand 2 years ago,) and have had a heap of fun with it. I felt that I gained a lot of experience being able to use it at home. Yesterday, after going from site to site at the wood show we bought the Woodfast M910 with electronic speed control. I can't wait to get it home. We will take the trailer down when we go to the caravan show and will collect it then. I will be counting the days.
Cheers,
Shirley

Chipman
18th May 2008, 11:51 AM
I also got some interesting replies to my query on which lathe to buy. I have a Jet Mini ( purchased second hand 2 years ago,) and have had a heap of fun with it. I felt that I gained a lot of experience being able to use it at home. Yesterday, after going from site to site at the wood show we bought the Woodfast M910 with electronic speed control. I can't wait to get it home. We will take the trailer down when we go to the caravan show and will collect it then. I will be counting the days.
Cheers,
Shirley

Sounds like a lot of fun and enjoyment with your new lathe! Also glad you had a good run from your Jet... They look like good lathes, it is just a shame that many turners have problems with their alignment. I have decided for lots of reasons to got with the woodfast m305. I have been given a large home made lathe and it will be interesting to see how I can get it all set up. I have also been gathering up bits to build a dedicated bowl turning lathe (no bed) but that is still a long way off as work has me very busy at the moment. (that's ok because you have to fund your hobby/obsession some how!)

So Mrs WP we look forward to some pics and what you turn on that new machine.

Chipman:):):)

powderpost
18th May 2008, 09:46 PM
I have used both the Woodfast 305 and a Jet 1014. Sold the Jet and bought a Woodfast 305. Much better machine.
Jim

denncarm
19th May 2008, 09:26 AM
Well I ordered the Woodfast Midi but the bad news is that there is a backorder and it won't be able to pick it up for about 2 months.

In truth I have plenty to keep me busy and I may be able to reduce the number of half finished projects instead of playing with a new toy.

Thanks everyone.