PDA

View Full Version : To burr or not to burr

antman
5th February 2004, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering about the merits of leaving a burr on a scraper after grinding. I have read about and seen people that remove the burr and others that don't. Some people that hone a scraper and others that don't.

I have tried both removing and leaving the burr and can't really see a difference to the cutting action so I was wondering if there is a more "correct" way of sharpening or if one way should work better or be better on the tools or whatever.

Any thoughts on this? I guess it really is a matter of what works for you but I am interested to hear what others think.

Cheers
Anthony

ozwinner
5th February 2004, 04:53 PM
I read a book recently, yeah I know, I can read.
That states that the burr will add nothing to the tools cutting ability.
In fact, the burr will quickly be worn away within a few cutting strokes.
The book is, Creative woodturning by Dale Nish.

A friend gave it to me for my 97 birthday
Cheers, Allan

Sturdee
5th February 2004, 06:16 PM
A friend gave it to me for my 97 birthday

I knew you could read but a " friend " :D :D

Peter

Jackson
6th February 2004, 11:11 PM
I've always thought the burr assisted the cutting action, but I might be guilty of accepting folklore without thinking too much about it. I have also read of turners that use a burnisher to turn up the micro edge of the scraper to get a cabinet scraper effect. It seems logical to me that if a cabinet scraper achieves a fine scraping, a woodturning scraper would follow the same rules.

Just a thought anyway...........

ozwinner
7th February 2004, 07:45 AM
Hi all
I should think there would be as many theorys as there are woodworkers.
I think you have to do what ever make you comfortable, and produces the desired results.
After all books, are only one persons interpretation.

( Gees, I almost sound like a wise person.)

Cheers, Allan

Badger
7th February 2004, 09:55 PM
When you think how long (or short) the burr on a cabinet scraper lasts, how long will a burr on a turning too last with the 'distance' the tool travels in just one cut - forget it!

Inselaffe
23rd February 2004, 04:35 AM
Hi, Antman
I have three ways of sharping my scrapers:
1. Straight from the grinding wheel. The grinding wheel is running away from me and therefore raises a large! and sharp burr. This method utilises the furrows made by the grinding wheel, the tops of the furrows are like little tiny saw teeth and are very sharp. Great for using on softer woods.
2. From the grinder but this time the wheel going the other way to reduce the size of burr, but it is followed up by raising the burr with another tool i.e. the back of a gouge rubbing it over the cutting edge. This raises a burr that is continual but in my opinion it is not as sharp as method 1. but the burr is stronger and lasts longer if you need to use it on harder woods.
3. Grinding as in 2. but then hone the top face and remove all the burr. Works on both soft and harder woods but takes more time away from the lathe than 1. and 2.

Most of the time the burr described in 1. is the one I use the most.

P.S. should you not have a grinder that revolves away from you, turn the scraper over!