PDA

View Full Version : Azebiki size recommendation

wilburpan
17th May 2008, 01:30 AM
For my experience with ryobas so far I realized that I had to learn to match the size of the ryoba to the size of the cut that I want to make, so I'm assuming that a similar principle applies to azebikis as well.

Is there a recommended size of azebiki for cutting the sides of a dado/groove/rabbet in 4/4 stock? I see that the length of the azebiki blade ranges anywhere from 70mm-125mm, and from looking at pictures it also appears that the curvature blade varies with the length.

Sheets
17th May 2008, 05:33 AM
Wilburpan,

I have a 105 mm long azebiki which I've used to cut rabbets 15 mm deep in the rails of my shoji. It works well, but since its the only size I have (got it from Lee Valley), I can't say if another size would have worked better or worse or if there is a depth that would be a maximum (other than when the tang/handle interfere). I found that the teeth remain in the kerf longer (since this is what this saw is designed to do) as you deepen the cut along your board, so you have to stop every few stokes and pull shavings and dust out of the teeth where they seem to gather as the teeth don't clear the kerf every stroke. Other than that, no problem.

Steve