PDA

View Full Version : Cheers Pat!!! I gots one!

Wild Dingo
17th May 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks mate... we went up to that mob in Cannington this morning didnt get the one we aimed at as they had sold it but did WAY better!!

Got this one

http://www.coromal.com/assets/used-vans/1294_1.gif

Its a pommy make their club site says 1991 but the plate says 1998... bloody whopping great thing it ends up being!!

See the sales site says NOW $3999 its original price was inside the fibreglass box at the front 6999... now me today I wasnt really aiming at something like this but was wandering around scratchin meself at havin missed the one I wanted and the fact the dipsticks didnt contact me as they said they would... when I spotted it and well me being me I started rummaging around in that box at the front... first a perspex sign saying "Was 6999 now 3999" and with a bit more rummaging I found on the back of that one a new one saying "Was 3999 now 2999" mmmmm thinks I with a bit of a wry grin so they cant move you eh me wee beauty lets see what we can do about that eh!

So I start taking that blue cover off her and a salesbloke comes racing over choking on his sanga "Mate dont sweat it I just want to have a gander at her" "MATE NO MATE!! look as you can imagine it wouldnt be good if we opened her up for everyone that came in wanting to have a look would it?" mmmm "Mate IF we DONT open the thing I wont be parting with any money" "Your interested in buying it are you?" "mate I dont bloody know how can I friggin know IF YOU DONT SHOW ME the thing?" And so he and I start opening it all up... he says something about the price he wants 2600 I look at him and say "mate if you expect me to pay 2500 for this thing then I damned well need to have a good look at it setup" now thing is this bloke is just a salesman... this other bloke came along and says "You interested in this one are you mate?" I shake me head as the sales bloke says "yeah for 2600 Brian" I looked up at them "Mate I am not shelling out anything until Ive had a bloody look as I told you... I did mention a figure and that wasnt it" so the boss bloke says "Right I'll go check how much it owes us while you do that"... So were busily opening it up folding it out and such and the boss comes racing back "Right 2000 drive away" I look at him smile "mate were still opening it up... but its done IF its licensed AND you pay my fuel rightio?" No worries I'll go check the license dont think he actually heard the fuel comment though

Anyway Id seen enough it was definantly all there along with a whole swag of other camping gear so done I thought and we started packing it up again... when were done the salesbloke starts walking away "Brian will fix you mate" "NO hang on a tick the tyres are flat and the spare isnt there so you can do that while I go sort Brian okay?" and he does... a tad begrudgingly but he does and I watch him do it so its cool

Now Brian being the boss has the sayso... so I walk inside and hes got the paperwork all sorted "Shes licensed till December just sign here mate" says he with that cheshire cat grin salesjerks get when they smell a sale... I started counting out the 2000 "mate I have an email from you saying IF I buy a unit from you you WILL pay my fuel so I need to know if your going to?" "Mate youve got a great deal now I cant do that"... I pocketed my $2000 in $100 notes and turned for the door "Where are you going mate!! We have a deal!!" I got to the car and was opening the door when he put his hand on it "Mate we have a deal" "no mate the deal was I buy a unit you pay my fuel heres the email so either your gonna honor that or Im going I dont deal with people who dont honor what they say" and I step up to get in "Mate come inside and we can talk" "What is to talk about mate you said you would now you say you wont I dont deal that way" Im in the car... "Alright let me see the email" I hand it over "right I guess I have to do you have a reciept dated today?" sly grin thinking i wouldnt have one but guess who fueled the Prado up as we left? so I hand over the reciept and we head back inside when we get to the desk I start counting out the $ again getting to 1900 I stop and put the hundred into my pocket "It was 2000 mate" "yes it was mate and that reciept is for my fuel so as youve agreed to pay my fuel and that reciept is for $100 worth of fuel we have done our deal"

I left with the papers in my hand hooked up the camper to the Prado and drove home with the BIGGEST GRIN on my dial Ive had since god knows when!! :2tsup:

Now if only the weather would clear so I can flamin well set it up!! :roll:

Ive been casually looking at this type of camper here for some time now and generally speaking they range from around 4K up to 6K... so BARGAIN FOR ME!!! :2tsup:

I drove it to our eldest daughter Yaz and Dans place on the way back to do a bit of gloating of course which one does from time to time just to stir the young buggars blood up... and while going over it we work out that it wouldnt take buggar all to convert this thing into an offroad capable camper a bit of tweeking and some extra support underneath larger wheels and whallah!! she becomes a 10K unit!!! :2tsup:

Sooo all up a bloody bottler of a day!!! :2tsup:

Cheers Pat
Shane

ss_11000
18th May 2008, 12:38 AM
well done Shane:clap:

Pat
18th May 2008, 07:28 AM
Where's the ruddy pic's? C'mon Shane, where's the blinkin' pic's.

Good on you Ding, glad to help.

wheelinround
18th May 2008, 09:34 AM
Shane good deal :2tsup:

Pat whats your commission best e-mail that place and prove that you sent him :D 10%
of 2 grand.

Now as pat said where the photo's come on get stuck in open it up set it up and plenty of picks.

What you have to watch for is rot in the canvas when you open it. Rot in the floor usually ply.
Be carefull of electrics for god sake Shane it may have been through water, also do good check for gas leaks.

Buzza
18th May 2008, 11:28 PM
Shane, good on ya', but with boats and trailers going cheap these days, one has to be aware of the weights and measures blokes looking under your rig to see if the brakes comply with the laws of today. :-

My mate and I got weighed at a boat launching facility recently by the RTA with portable scales, as a lot of boats, and campers have not been fitted with the right gear. :rolleyes:

It's good to see you're having a lot of fun though.

Andy Mac
19th May 2008, 09:43 AM
Well done WD, nice to see a salesman met his match! Seems a bit suss that they didn't want you to see it fully set-up though. As suggested earlier go over all the canvas, esp. where the folds and creases are, and the floor.
The trailer itself looks good, but my eyes straight away went to the little wheels...made for UK conditions. As you later said, some mods to take it to off-road (read Australian bitumen) capability would be a wise move!:D
On the topic of off-road camper trailers, I recently heard that one of the larger manufacturers here, with robust and expensive units, will void all warranties if the trailer is indeed taken 4X driving!!:(( Can't imagine they'd get away with it, if the thing can't deliver its advertised purpose...
Anyway, here's hoping it brings you much enjoyment!!:cool:

Cheers

Wild Dingo
20th May 2008, 01:15 AM
Photos will come dont sweat it!! :; But first things first... although the sun might come out and the skys clear theres buggar all warmth in the day!! and I have no intention of setting it up on wet lawn... too much canvas and if it gets wet being laid out getting it dry WILL be a problem just now.

BUT!!! First chance we get she goes together and up!! :2tsup:

The salesman was a total dipstick Andy and deserves more than he got from me! gawd I hate that sort of idiot just drives me totally insane and I get this urge to drive a pineapple right up their clackers! :~ and then I take me time and find a way to simply make them feel ooooh about 2inches tall :2tsup:

Im not sure they would have a leg to stand on Buzza... the things been compliance plated and approved for Aussie conditions and the blasted aliminum tow hitch is the one its built with!... Im not sure its rated to have brakes mate... doesnt appear to have ever had any... shouldnt think it would need any actually bloody light little thing it is

First job is done... bought a new tow hitch at work today saved a few bob too which is always a good thing! This job is gonna be a ripper I tell you!! :2tsup:

Will grab the barbies gas bottle tomorrow night hook it up and get a bottle with some detergent and water in it and spray along the gas lead to check for leaks... definantly!

About those silly little wheels... The whole thing including the wheels are made for UK conditions... this could be a good thing in some respects but a bad thing in other ways... It should be a quite strong setup due to the lousy weather they have over there you know snow sleet an such I reckon the uprights should be pretty good along with the shape of the thing so snow would slide right off... its got a "mud/water guard" all round the base about a foot or so high up the walls... these could be good things... the damned wheels are friggin like wheelbarrow wheels for cripes sake!... juries still out so far! :; ...I spoke with Dan last night as he did the service on the Prado and hes of the view that they dont need to be changed... reckons if I put say 14in Sigma wheels on it the thing would be out of kilter somehow couldnt understand it myself... something about heavier tyres and its effect on the weight stability of the thing buggared if I know!! But Im going to look into it a bit more... might be a good thing to go find an offroad camper and really go over it to see whats what with regard the wheels and setup underneath.

Will also check the ply out for rot that was one thing I hadnt thought of but a good one... the canvas will DEFINANTLY be checked all over... along with the poles etc and the two mattresses have been joined together and a new cover put on them and swapped for the brand new 4in mattress in the soon to be sold old caravan out the back and I will pick up another in the next week or so.

Note... the old caravan NEEDS to be sold... BEFORE the 21 year old son and his fiance decide they are too broke to stay in Kal and make their way back here expecting to stay in that caravan... not gonna happen mate!! so its going!!! SOON!!! :2tsup:

Anyway Im not planning on selling this thing anytime soon (if ever) and after the 2 trips to and around Broome I definantly WILL be changing the underneath to withstand the terrains I intend to go through as it is this wouldnt last ONE trip let alone many... as I said to Jo when I showed her the other day her dinky little Lancer could tow this thing... so the changes MUST happen... but I will have a check around to see what size wheels and tyres the majority of the Aussie versions use and use them.

And young Joshy wants to make a 3 wheeled motorized gokart out of them!! :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

PS... I will take some pics just as soon as I can beg steal or borrow a camera from somewhere!!... never know I may even have to buy one :roll:

wheelinround
20th May 2008, 10:08 AM
Shane being UK built usually means timber frame which absorbs moisture as you know just like boats wood rot. If this dries out any screws mountings etc can come loose.

Worked on a few UK buses with timber frames we had to carry oversized screws with us on tour so panels and windows didn't fall out.:doh: Veteran and Vintage cars with original timbers have the same problem.

woodcutta
20th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Good onya Shane for getting a good deal.
I always think half the fun of buying a new vehicle is screwing with the salesmans mind:D

woodcutta

Wild Dingo
21st May 2008, 01:19 AM
Good onya Shane for getting a good deal.
I always think half the fun of buying a new vehicle is screwing with the salesmans mind:D

woodcutta

:U :U yep mate I REALLY SERIOUSLY enjoyed watching both of them squirm :2tsup:

Wheelin the underframe is steel C channel... I will be setting it up this weekend come what may then once done and packed again I'll move the shed around a bit and hoist it up onto some stands and have a GOOD look underneath... may take a bit of work to solidify it more than it is but Im not sure what the underbelly is made of so will hang five till I do... may well have to take the whole shooting match off and rebuild the bum but hey what a project!! :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane