PDA

View Full Version : ...and then it hit me!

dale
5th February 2004, 10:19 PM
Actually it hit my leg - the step into my shed that wasn't too well secured on a couple of bluestones flipped up and gave me a nasty graze on my leg.

I then thought about all the -really- dangerous stuff in the shed and realised I didn't have a first aid kit.

I've now got a "stop it bleeding so I can get to a phone" kit which includes lots of absorbent bandages, some compression bandages and some closures. All in a small Decor clear plastic box.

What have you put in your fist aid kit (you do have one right? :-) that you've thought would be useful (or have found so...)?

Sturdee
5th February 2004, 10:43 PM
Similar to yours, bandages, gauze, antiseptic cream, scissors and tweezers all in an easily reached and identified cupboard over the sink. Also a phone with a speed dial to ring an ambulance which I hope I'll never need to do.

Peter.

Gumby
5th February 2004, 10:46 PM
A packet of band-aids and a box of tissues.

DanP
6th February 2004, 12:31 AM
A large tube of very fast super glue. For gluing together the BIG cuts. Don't laugh. I was told this by an ambo at a first aid class. If it's bleeding too bad for bandage, glue it up.:cool: Along with that I'd have several wound dressings (bandage with a pad attached, devised by war medics), some normal bandages. Torniquet's are a big no no but to slow a bad bleed you can use a wide bandage above the wound to the top of the limb. Apply firmly, not tightly and start at the wound, work to the top of the limb then back down.

Hope you don't need any of it.

Dan (sporting a large band aid from a scary sharp chisel).

DarrylF
6th February 2004, 07:15 AM
All of the above - but several packs of bandaids of all shapes & sizes, plus little tubes of saline for washing wounds, eyes etc. Scissors. Needed most of the kit at one time or another. I blame my dad - though thankfully I'm not quite as accident prone. Nothing like a bad example to make you think twice :)

Zed
6th February 2004, 09:55 AM
You probably already know this but I would recommend a St Johns Ambo's kit readily available from any chemist for about $30 and a course in first aid - perhaps your employer may spring for this if you agree to be the first aid warden for your dept/floor/etc...

I originally bought one when I did thier first aid course and have subequentally added to it over the years where it doesnt fit in the original bag anymore. when we go on trips I take it with us just in case - thank god I havnt had to use it on us (yet!!!).

remember to go through it regularly and throw out the old stuff and renew any items that have thier plastic wrappers damaged.

I would recommend that to get some extras like:
elastoplast sticking plaster, (the stuff that comes in a roll)
real band aids (made from cloth not plastic)
sulfer power,
talcum powder,
sterile eye flush solution,
real scissors,
needle and thread,
real tweezers,
matches,
a first aid book,
pencils and pads,
clip lock plastic bags,
a couple of condoms,
Ky lube,
space blanket,
paracetamol,
cotton wool (the type your missues uses for make up removal - the small balls are crap)
A towel,
rubber gloves,
sharp pocket knife,

play safe guys...

Sturdee
6th February 2004, 10:06 AM
a couple of condoms,
Ky lube,

Zed, I am intrigued . Just what do you do in your workshop.

Peter.

silentC
6th February 2004, 10:27 AM
Zed, you forgot to add the machine that goes 'bing'.

Zed
6th February 2004, 11:01 AM
my wife is very attractive. (hubba hubba!!!)

The real answer is im a full on saftey nazi... the other day I went through the first aid kit with my beloved and walked her though all the items - she gave me the "jeez you're anal" look but knows not to cross me on the safety issue.... The only way i got her to agree was to paint a doom and gloom picture of me falling through the ceiling and needing her to fit a splint etc...

condoms can be useful for all sorts of stuff - like protecting the end of something from water or other liquid entry - eg in the army they issue condoms for putting over the end of rifles to keep the water out of the barrel. (and for blowing up as balloons).

Ky lube - water based lubricant is a most useful item - you figure it out for yourself....

I often root (smirk) through my first aid kit for scissors, cloth, tape or whatever ? dont you ?

silentC
6th February 2004, 11:05 AM
I had an ingrown toenail hacked out a few years ago and the doc told me to put a condom on my toe when I had a shower or went swimming. How was I to know that the edible ones disolved in water? :rolleyes:

Geoff Allen
6th February 2004, 01:50 PM
If I had condoms in the garage my wife would think something was up!

I use the nearest clean ploishing cloth for big cuts so I can make it inside to more aseptic conditions for major surgery (splinter removal etc.). For small cuts etc I rap the offended part in the nearest spider web to stop the bleeding, much better than bandaids.

Geoff

Tankstand
6th February 2004, 09:50 PM
First aid kit?
I have a bag of rags (mainly the wifes old knickers etc.) and a fire extinguisher!

Iain
7th February 2004, 08:31 AM
A fire extinguisher? I suppose CO2 will stop the bleeding by freezing;)
Usually a scream will get my wifes attention, but I am still waiting for the permit for my workshop (council not Mrs).

q9
7th February 2004, 03:12 PM
Now hands up all those with a decent first aid kit in the car?

I have the St Johns kit, designed for road trauma.

Don't need it?

In the last few years I have been first to arrive (just driving around doing my normal every day stuff) to a couple of accidents.

One bright fellow tried to beat a train accross a level crossing. He was bloody lucky. Walked out of it. (what was that smell coming from his...oh...it really does happen...)

Some English tourist saw a "wombat" crossing the road and swerved to avoid it (a wombat on the Bruce Highway near Yandina?). No, I think he had just pushed himself too far, going from Hervey Bay to Brisbane with no stops...bounced his hire Falcon between road barriers at each side of the road (zig zagging) for about 100 metres before crashing into the barrier at the end (one more metre and he would have been in the ditch).

I think there was another, but it mustn't have been as spectacular or memorable. Lucky me.

DanP
7th February 2004, 07:55 PM
The bloke with the train was very very lucky. Spent two and a half years on trains and got the great job of investigating the accidents. Not many bounce off 180 Tonnes (Or was that tons) of loco and survive. Usually the impact will explode the harder round parts of your body and if you don't hit your head anywhere on the torso is usually enough blunt trauma to stuff all your internal organs. Don't even ask about the ones who go underneath. :eek:

Dan

soundman
7th February 2004, 10:43 PM
Currently upgrading first aid kits myself after a similar incident.

QLD WHS has a list of recomended contents on their site but its quite minimal.

Its surprising what you can nail back down with a bandaid or 3.

Dick smith electronics have sergical tweesers that are great, get the curved ones. realy sharp & pionty.
seriously good for splinters and scrub ticks.

A word to the wise.

NEVER put "gaffa tape" on a cut. It sticks far too well.

Ruffy
8th February 2004, 11:46 AM
Having had many years bushwalking and also having spent more years than I care to count in the military, I cannot stress enough the importance of a good First Aid kit.

I find one of the best sources to buy a ready to go one is the St John's Ambulance organization. They sell these kits in various sizes at a reasonable price and by purchasing one of theirs you are also aiding a good group.

Have a look at their website: http://www.stjohn.org.au/stjohn_kitsproducts.htm

The best container I have found is a small fishing tackle box with the a cantilevered tray. But whatever works is probably the best ;)

My basic suggested list is as follows:

Band-Aids - asstd box, 1; Fabric strip rather than plastic
Adhesive strips - 1" x 3", 10;
Adhesive strips - 2" x 4", 5: Minor cuts & abrasions.
Butterfly bandages - 10: Closure for minor cuts.
Adhesive tape - 1" roll, 1
Battle dressing - 4" x 4", 1: Large wounds or abrasions pressure dressing.
Elastic Ace bandage - 4", 1: Securing dressing, splints or wrapping sprains.
Moleskin or Molefoam, 1 pkg.: Cover or prevent blisters.
Gauze pads (Telfa pads & Vaseline gauze)- 4" x 4", 6: Cover large wounds.
#11 sterile scalpel blade with handle, 1: Removing splinters & other small foreign bodies from the skin.
Hemostat or tweezers, 1: Removing splinters and other foreign bodies.
Small scissors, 1
Sling or triangular bandage, 1: Immobilize arm/shoulder if needed.
First aid manual and CPR card, 1
Length of surgical tubing, 1: Constricting band.
Disposable gloves, 2 pr.: Avoiding contact with blood.

TOMARTOM
8th February 2004, 01:40 PM
Years ago at TAFE, they used to have a small fridge at the back of the machinists room and It was'nt for food or beverages!

I have had minor incidents in the shed, but my danger is in the bathroom shaving, one time there was so much blood I needed a towel to mop it up!

Anyone for a shave....

Tony

Iain
9th February 2004, 07:23 PM
I propose we now call you Sweeney Todd:p

coastie
9th February 2004, 09:11 PM
Tony:
I have sent you a PM:cool:

Iain
10th February 2004, 06:21 PM
What! you abducted John Howard;)

JackoH
11th February 2004, 09:09 AM
You lot do have fun in your sheds, don't you?http://www.ubeaut.biz/chainsaw.gif,,(Sorry about the chain saw running backwards,. Neil will no douibt tell you it's a left handed one or imported from the northern hemisphere.:D )

DPB
11th February 2004, 09:37 AM
I had an ingrown toenail hacked out a few years ago and the doc told me to put a condom on my toe when I had a shower or went swimming. How was I to know that the edible ones disolved in water?

Silent C, reading this I am thinking you either have a very large big toe, or a very small....:D

silentC
11th February 2004, 09:48 AM
Neither, he told me to borrow one from you :D

Red neck
11th February 2004, 10:03 AM
My wife sneaks up on the shed, she thinks that one day she will find a hand or a finger lying on the table saw! She has read-up on the ‘ins and outs’ of dealing with severed digits and their subsequent transportation to hospital – along with the victim I hope.

First aid kit – nah, but I do have a bottle of ‘bundy’ in the bottom drawer of the desk to promote numbness!

JackoH
11th February 2004, 05:31 PM
Slent C ( Wonder what the 'C' stands for?) Were you referring to my chainsaws origins or DBP's attacments?http://www.ubeaut.biz/ohreally.gif

silentC
12th February 2004, 08:08 AM
Jon,

Given that it doesn't make a lot of sense as a reply to your post but it makes plenty of sense as a witty and humorous reply to DPB's post and it follows immediately after his, with no reference to yours, it shouldn't take a genius, with or without a chainsaw, to work that out :D

Zed
12th February 2004, 08:25 AM
now now boys play nice... its obvious that the "C" stands for "Coight" . Isnt coight a slang term for bum ? Im pretty sure Mr Silent has mentioned in the past that he's a "largish lad" ergo his coight must also be a large one. this explains his avatar and also the unfortuante lot of his wife if the silent part is not true... after all we all know Mr Silent is anything but silent on the BB, thus the silent must refer to some other thing :-)

Wood, timber, nails, Lie Neilsen, band aid (Just thought Id say some relevant stuff to keep this thread on track...)

JackoH
12th February 2004, 08:26 AM
It was a joke! Sorreeee...Goodbye!http://www.ubeaut.biz/sulkoff.gif

silentC
12th February 2004, 08:32 AM
Now come on John, I didn't take you for the sensitive type...

silentC
12th February 2004, 08:37 AM
Zed,

That is a brilliant theory. Unfortunately it's totally wrong. I'm a yard of pump water and there's nothing silent about my coight ;)

Eastie
12th February 2004, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately rubber roller compression bandages are fairly rare in Australia due to the misconception that you should never cut off the blood flow. They’re about 6” wide and are great at cutting off the blood supply to severed limbs or snake bites.

You could even cut the flow on Silent Cs’ water pump. BTW I hope it's self priming and not a manual start :D

crakka54
13th February 2004, 09:07 PM
Hi there,

I've been fascinated by the amazing things to be found in sheds to do with 'first aid'. KY lube and condoms?? Is the paracetomol if there are any headaches happening?Remember - Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.

I reckon having the CPR chart is really important, it's easy to follow if there is an emergency. Maybe even having the St. Johns book on hand?

Make sure everything (inc. chemicals) are in the correct bottles / containers - or at least correctly labelled. When I was about 15, a guy in our street who was a marine engineer and spent half his life in his shed accidently drank mercury out of a Coke can!

Later

mat
17th February 2004, 03:32 PM
If you bandage above the wound to the top of the limb you are likely to obstruct the venous return of blood and make the bleeding worse! If you have cut an artery and want to stem the flow you will have to bandage more than tightly to essentially do the job of a tourniquet.
The method described is good for snake bites but not for bleeding.

Originally posted by DanP
A large tube of very fast super glue. For gluing together the BIG cuts. Don't laugh. I was told this by an ambo at a first aid class. If it's bleeding too bad for bandage, glue it up.:cool: Along with that I'd have several wound dressings (bandage with a pad attached, devised by war medics), some normal bandages. Torniquet's are a big no no but to slow a bad bleed you can use a wide bandage above the wound to the top of the limb. Apply firmly, not tightly and start at the wound, work to the top of the limb then back down.

Hope you don't need any of it.

Dan (sporting a large band aid from a scary sharp chisel).

DanP
19th February 2004, 09:00 PM
Mat,

I only relate what I was taught at an accredited first aid course by an ambulance officer with 30+ years experience. If he is wrong then so be it. I can blame him when I front the coroner.

Dan