PDA

View Full Version : Tamworth Redgum job..any takers

wayneo75
20th May 2008, 05:24 PM
My father in law has a regum on the ground. It is 4m long and has a diameter of about 1.2m to 1.5m.

It was lying in the creek for years but was lifted out about 2 years ago.

Is anybody from that area with a portable mill that is interested in the job...there may be a slab or two in it for you....at least i think that is what he was thinking:?.

Secondly, what is best with a job like this, to slab or to mill into boards??? Or is that dependant upon what we want to do with it??

natural edge
20th May 2008, 05:49 PM
slab or 2 good luck

BobL
24th May 2008, 09:15 PM
Slab or two - forget it!

When I mill for a share of the slabs my minimum deal for mates is I take second pick of the slabs and every 3rd pic after that. For someone I don't know it's a 50/50 split (I get every second pick).

wayneo75
26th May 2008, 08:30 PM
i guess the number of slabs is negotiable :U

salty72
27th May 2008, 07:44 PM
If the tree is 1.2 -1.5M diameter and 4 Meters long without a pipe I will do the job for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21th etc... and $50/Hr for fuel and expenses etc..

check out our web page for other options
www.043turning.com.au (http://www.043turning.com.au)

Mark
043 TURNING
043 887 6464

wayneo75
2nd June 2008, 02:53 PM
If the tree is 1.2 -1.5M diameter and 4 Meters long without a pipe I will do the job for 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21th etc...

So in other words....every third slab....ie a third of the slabs cut??

Vernonv
2nd June 2008, 04:12 PM

I take it that he gets 2nd pick and 3rd pick and then every 3rd pick after that ... correct me if I'm wrong though.

BobL
2nd June 2008, 04:51 PM

Not quite, for a very small tree (say 16") with say 3 x 3" good slabs and two face cuts (ie 5 slabs total) of the 3 good ones he gets 2! ie 2/3rds of the ones that count.

For a tree with 4 good slabs he gets 2 out of the 4 or 1/2.

For 5 good slabs he gets 2/5ths

For 6 good slabs he gets 1/2 again!

It actually takes a while before you get to 1/3rd.
eg even with 12 good slabs he gets 5/12 ths.

weisyboy
2nd June 2008, 06:56 PM
why so complicated. why not just say $50 per hour and every third slab this would mean that you get a good selection of sizes and quality.

or just say $50 per hour and 1/3 of the timber.

BobL
2nd June 2008, 09:06 PM
why so complicated. why not just say $50 per hour and every third slab this would mean that you get a good selection of sizes and quality.

or just say $50 per hour and 1/3 of the timber.

There's is a difference between the two and it has to do with the order in which the slabs are selected.

How would you like to cut up a nice log with 6 or 7 slabs, 2 are crappy face cuts so there are 4-5 good slabs. Using every third slab means you will get one good one! Out of 8 good slabs you only get 2 good slabs.

Sigidi
2nd June 2008, 10:05 PM
I've done cutting for timber before and that was peice for peice as the day went on. but having said that I tend to stay away from cutting for a share of the timber, at the end of the day my kids can't eat sawdust and timber isn't a resource which is hard for me to get - dunno why???hmmm :)

salty72
3rd June 2008, 09:02 AM
It's not a hard and fixed rule..... but when asked "wot's da go??" you got to start some where, I don't want 8/10th of some ones timber and I am more than happy to discuss the finer points at the job site... Some of the logs might have a huge stinking pipe running thru the middle, and for some reason 600mm thru always seams to be only about 16-18" when you get there..

a wise man once said that "Recommended Retail is a guide and bartering a skill, so both should be challenged regularly**** and I'm happy to follow this..

It is interesting when Ppl ask to cut for shared timber, some reason they think the timber is the expensive items, when really it grow on trees (sorry - just had to say it... :D ) Fuel is a killer, at $1.60 per litre :((, a single chain is $159, a blade is over $300 re-tipping is around $50, labour is $20/h for on off sider, the truck works out at $0.80 per Km for running cost, there's accommodation, meals and all sorts of other things, you need a chainsaw ropes bla bla bla....And what about my labour, Oh and little Johnny sorry Kevin needs his bit.. According to the accountant the running cost on the mill are around $50 per hour (hence the $$$ value)

So with the out of pocket expenses covered, you will need something to pay wages and bills with, sure a slab might be worth $100-300, but only when you sell it. If a guy who pays nothing for the timber, pays nothing for the milling and is owed nothing, takes 8 months to sell a slab it don't really matter. If he never sells anything, he's still out in front...

I hope this hasn't come across as a rant 'cause that wasn't my intention it was just to put it out there.. So Ppl get a feel for the guy who is trying to make a go...
working on $100 per slab I could put a deposit on a small house, but in reality I soo worried that a bush fire will wipe out over 8 months of work in a few minutes..:saddest:

So you can see it not all roses fore the bloke who outlays all the $$$$ and takes all the risks..

Salty

Sigidi
3rd June 2008, 10:20 AM
$20 per hour for unskilled labour, providing nothing in the way of tools?

Geese Salty can I come work for you? You sound like a generous kind of fella:)

salty72
3rd June 2008, 05:55 PM

IF you give me your details I'll call you, as we currently quoting on a job to cut around 100 Tonne of river red gum, and I need a bloke that has some experience lifting heavy weights :2tsup: <TIC>

salty72
9th June 2008, 09:12 PM
Did anyone get the tamworth Job?? what was the agreed amount --- Where's the photos??

weisyboy
10th June 2008, 08:26 AM

$20 an hour is preyy standard round here ya cant get anyone outa bed for less than that. we pay up to $25/hour for unskilled labour. i wouldnt go work for someone for less than that.

Sigidi
10th June 2008, 10:56 AM
Sheesh, I'm paying my offsider at the moment $100 per day cash and he says why so much I didn't do anything?

You wouldn't go to work for less than $25/hr, but your skilled mate. This is where I have problems at times, I am skilled in many things, forklift, crane, truck driving, rural fencing, suburban fencing, retaining walls, concreting, house framing, roofing, plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, saw milling and that's just working with my hands. If you go into white collar work then there's about as much too, so when I'm hired to work for someone, I figure they get someone with a huge amount of experience for their 'unskilled labour' so I understand where you are coming from with $25/hour, but in reality trade qualified chippies are getting $30/hr supplying their own tools. So paying unskilled labour without tools $25/hr just doesn't work out

jmaxwell
10th June 2008, 03:35 PM
tradies are getting $35 hr and if my mate has to travel it is $40 hr and two in the ute.

wayneo75
23rd June 2008, 06:19 PM
Did anyone get the tamworth Job?? what was the agreed amount --- Where's the photos??

Lack of communication between me and father in law = log put on truck and taken to sawmill now cut into 12x2 inch boards.......

will try and put on some photos when i get home

thanks for the offers though

weisyboy
23rd June 2008, 07:15 PM
we cant get good labourers for less than $20 an hour that is just fot he bloke we have to pickp and drop off.

we charge out at $45 each for me and the boss including tools plus $25 each for the labourers. but we can do a hell of a lot more in a day than others doing the same work. it makes me sick when you go someware and they say you charge to mutch i can get joe blow to do it for $20 an hour.

the fact that we dont spen half the day chatting on the phone and talking a load of BS to each other dosent count.

BUNTA
25th June 2008, 05:32 PM
Lack of communication between me and father in law = log put on truck and taken to sawmill now cut into 12x2 inch boards.......

will try and put on some photos when i get home

thanks for the offers though

Looking forward to seeing the pics !! & 12 inch wide boards are rare for us Lucas owners.

Sigidi
25th June 2008, 05:35 PM
Bunta, I don't think Wayne's FIL sent tohem to a lucas owner, I think he sent them to a standing mill.

12" is okay for a Lucas, just a bit of extra work and less recovery:)