For “Hiding rest of Model” when editing a group: H
X-ray Mode: X

these can either be loaded from a .DAT file or you can manually changed

from the main screen

hit the windows tad
hit preferences and pop up box will appear
left hand side of that box is a menu
hit the shortcuts tab second from bottom
all of the commands are now shown on the right side of the box. on the far right you have 2 boxes add shortcut and assigned this is were you will make your changes

so scroll down the Functions box till u come to
View/component edit/hide rest of model
in the add short cut box add a H and hit the + to the right of the box

thats it your done. you can work through the comands and add the key you wish to a command. note if you add ALT+ in front of a letter then you can use the alt + the letter to activate it.

ok thats the first one done i will build up to more advanced stuff as we go through.

km

ps is this the type of thing you want??

Rattrap
20th May 2008, 07:55 PM
well i didn't know u could 'hide the rest of model' or x-ray so its :2tsup::2tsup: from me so far!

kmthor
20th May 2008, 08:26 PM
TIP #2

Location. sketchup comes with some pre loaded locations but theres not a great deal of them. this can be added to like so.

hit the view tab
go down to animation
then click on settings

the model info box will open
hit location
in the country box add your country
in the location box see if your location is there.
if not
hit custom location and another box will appear.
set custom location.
leave the country as is.
under location type in the name of your town .
now you will need the long and latitude. dont worry it is easy to get i use google earth just place the curser over the town and you will get the long and lat (bottom left of main screen) but remember to covert these to decimals.

note: if you dont know how to convert the deg min" sec' to decimal this site will help http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
if the link get removed pm me

type the numbers into the long and lat boxes
adjust the timezone hit ok and your done.

this will effect outside modeling and the shodow effects more than single pieces, it also helps with rendering. the long and lats are kept in the sketchup.tzl file in the suport directory, it can be edited direct from there but unless you know what your doing i sugest sicking to the above, should you however wish to attempt it make a backup of the file first

SU5 users.. the setting are under a differant menu but the same process will work

km

Eli
20th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Very cool. Keep going.:U:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

kmthor
21st May 2008, 07:01 PM
TIP # 3

drawing lines

pretty easy just click and go but to make life easier we can use the axis line green = north/south red = east west and blue = up down

so if we were to draw a line 300mm north.

click on the sreen with the pencil once. and find the geen axis (once your near it will snap to it) then type in 300 and hit enter, all done.

when you type in the number it will appear in the box at the bottom right of the sreen

of course the works for all the axis

infact it works for most things you can move, copy, pushpull, evan angles with the protractor

circles click once on the page then type the radius you want

triangle/hex click once and type the radius you want the points to touch

km

kmthor
21st May 2008, 07:06 PM
TIP # 4

if you intend to render the model make sure the face of the plain is the right way round. if you use the defult clours you shold see no blue faces.

if you do right click on the face and hit reverse face

km

Rattrap
21st May 2008, 07:47 PM
1 thing i was having trouble doing was drawing a spheare. I ended up using a default spheare that i then had to resize by eye.

kmthor
21st May 2008, 08:15 PM
1 thing i was having trouble doing was drawing a spheare. I ended up using a default spheare that i then had to resize by eye.

yep thats how i would do it too. it is possible to build them with triagles but it is far quicker to do what you have done.

but heres another little trick to scale it or anything for that matter highlight the component or what ever it is your scaling and click the tape measure.

now mesure along a side (or across a spheare) and type in the distance you would like that side to be and hit enter it will come up with a box asking if you wont to resize the model hit yes and your done

note if you have a few object in your modle and only want to scale a part of it, make that part a group and from inside the group do the same thing and it will only resize the group or component

km

Rattrap
21st May 2008, 08:31 PM
exellent thanks km

kmthor
22nd May 2008, 07:23 PM
TIP # 5

infered referancing

ok lets say you have a cube on the top face of the cube u draw a line from a random point on the edge going toward the other side.

how you want another line the same distance toward the middle

click your start point then hang the pencil over the first lines end point your should see a green grip (the little green square) now move the pencile to were it should be you will now notice a dotted line following you and the green grip has turned black

one your second line now reaches the same point as the first a black will appear click and the second line will be the same length and easy to close

this can also be done with the shift button click on the edge and hold shift down how go straight to the end on the first line and click you will see the second line as your doing this

the shift button works for most commands. what it does is lock any of the axis directions

km

kmthor
22nd May 2008, 07:37 PM
TIP # 6

selection

let say a cube again and you are on a face. click once and you will select that face, click ywo times and you select the face and the border lines, click three times and you will select the whole object

km

Rattrap
22nd May 2008, 08:01 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:
I just had to try that last 1 out straight away. Damn it works! So much easier than manually selecting all the pieces.

kmthor
23rd May 2008, 05:41 PM
TIP # 7

gluing

you know when you bring in a component and put it on a surface then try and move it but dosnt want to go up or down.

well just right click the component and click unglue and you will be able to move to were ever you like.

to prevent this when making a component make sure the set gluing plane is set to none

you will see the set gluing plane in the dialog box after you select the items to be made into a component

km

kmthor
24th May 2008, 09:57 PM
TIP # 8

materials

when you have done your model and you are adding materials you can use any JPG file all you have. To do this just drag and drop it in the model.

but when u do this put it in an area away from the model (come back to why) it will come in with 8 green grips on it which u can use for re sizing

once u have done that right click on it and hit use as a material this will add the material to the in model materials list

you can delete the JPG you have droped in

you can now pick the new item from the in model materials list and with the bucket paint your model, this is far easier than trying to resize a JPG and trying to orinantate it

km

please ask if you want me to cover somthing, only glad to help

Rattrap
25th May 2008, 09:31 AM
some exellent tips there KM, thanks.

kmthor
26th May 2008, 07:42 PM
TIP # 9

not really a tip more of a gift. i found these sometime back could be useful

km

edit: oops forgot the link

http://rapidshare.com/files/117691351/Woodworking_Tools.skp

if you dont have a RS account just use the free 1

dazzler
29th May 2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Km

any tips on how to start a basic house plan (walls, roof, windows etc). :?

kmthor
29th May 2008, 07:26 PM
sure do. first off i would say if you are going for construction plans do it in somthing like Acad, if its just concept plans then SU is your program.

i will asume that you want to model the interior as well

first i would draw a plan in 2d (i normaly do this in acad and import it) and then push/pull the walls to the correct hight. i would then draw the opening (windows, doors) and push them through, ie for a window draw your rectangal and push it through to the other side if the inside face dosent delete just right click and delete

i would make the wall a group or components depending size this could be 1 or several groups.

next i would add doors and windows from the component libiary resize to fit if needed
roofs can be tricky but with infered referancing can be made easy and remember to hide the other groups i covered that in one of the tips.

once iv done that ill finsh with the furnishing wich would be components or picture of them

i would then add vegitation and maybe people

then off to photo render

if you have any probs with the model, i can take a look at it for you or just post were u are stuck. also if you cant find a component let me know i will have somthing to use

hope this helps. i had some videos ill try and dig them out

km

martrix
29th May 2008, 08:03 PM
....then off to photo render

km

Hi km, what program do you use for rendering? I was getting good results with renderplus or iRender cant remeber what it was called, but it was only a trial version and only lets you have 1 install.

Can you recommend any good free ongoing programs?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42433

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/iVeneer/eunit.jpg?t=1174390812

kmthor
29th May 2008, 08:11 PM
sure can.

this is by far the best FREE photo render i have come across good tutorials and a very good helpful forums

http://www.kerkythea.net/joomla/index.php

you will need a exporter add-on for SU which you can down load from the site

enjoy

km

dazzler
29th May 2008, 08:17 PM
Cheers :2tsup:

kmthor
18th June 2008, 08:14 PM
heres a box done in SU rendered in maxwell

http://www.ut99andstuff.com/keith/box2.jpg

Waldo
9th July 2008, 01:42 PM
TIP # 6

selection

let say a cube again and you are on a face. click once and you will select that face, click ywo times and you select the face and the border lines, click three times and you will select the whole object

km

Excellent tip kmthor, that one thing has been my big issue with Ketch-up, now I know the solution as I like to group things so I can move them. Now I no longer have to hide all other objects just so I select all and group one object that I forgot to group. :2tsup:

A question: Imagine a rectangle, how do I create an elliptical shape and knock it out of the rectangle to give me something like the apron in the attached pic?

kayu
9th July 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the sketchup file, guess this what you mean?

Kayu

Waldo
9th July 2008, 02:55 PM
G'day Kayu,

That's getting there. But how do I delete all areas other than that part that I want to push through on the rectangle. A circle over top of the shape below when pushed only seems to create that circle from 2D to 3D. or have I missed something?

Waldo
9th July 2008, 02:57 PM
Ahh, just worked it out. :doh:

:2tsup:

kmthor
11th July 2008, 07:24 PM
sorry guys didnt see these messages. ill try and be more on to it.. all sorted now i hope

km

Yeldarb
14th August 2008, 08:52 AM

Sketchup is fantastic, I have only just started with it but very happy with the potential for helping me get my dimensions correct...my big issue at the moment is joining different components...I've done a table leg and stretcher and trying to get them joined via mortise and tenon...very new to this and figure I will work it out.

I found this for creating spheres...from the Sketchup Startup Tips (was clicking through them)....I just copied the text, you'll probably want to look at the demo on the startup tips.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/How-to-create-sphere.gifEver wondered how you might create a sphere in SketchUp? Try the Follow-Me tool. Draw a circle on the ground plane, copy that circle and rotate it 90 degrees. Select the edge of the lower circle. This will be your path for the Follow-Me tool. Select the Follow-Me tool, and click on the upper circle surface. This process is also useful for creating lathed or revolved forms.

Yeldarb
14th August 2008, 11:47 AM
I just found this for mortice/tenon

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1114234764&channel=769316223

BantyMom
3rd August 2009, 01:09 PM
Can we sticky this thread?