PDA

View Full Version : Personal Protective Equipment

jimmyjames
6th February 2004, 01:44 PM
Hi there,

Just scanning the posts and read the rave reviews on the triton helmet & extractor system. Looks like and excellent product and one i intend to get........right after i win the lottery and buy all the other tools i don't have yet :)

In the meantime what measures should I take to avoid all that carcinagenic dust and other nasties in the workshop.

At the moment I wear a paper dust mask, eye goggles and hearing protection that's about 20 years old and stolen from some airport ground crewman long ago (not by me). I was wearing gloves as well but it just got too hot.

My power tools have dust bags that work to varying degrees except for the c/saw. I empty these when full so they keep catching stuff and ventilate the garage by opening both roller doors (until after dark when the neighbours go nuts). I keep a bin for offcuts to keep them out of the way and sweep up intermittently.

Any other cost effective suggestions and is my PPE sufficient to stop the nasties.

Sir Stinkalot
6th February 2004, 02:12 PM
You can get one of the respirators masks with the filter attached to the front quite cheeply. The filter is the same as used in the Triton unit. The problem that I found was that it put quite alot of pressure on the face and would often fill with condensation. I would do this instead of the paper mask.
I now have the Triton and find it great .... it is a little cumbersome to put on and I do get hot but it does keep the dust from the lungs which is what it is all about.