PDA

View Full Version : Power hacksaw find

Woodlee
20th May 2008, 09:37 PM
Had a win today , I was at a scrap dealers yard who has a contract to supply rubbish skips where I work .
I spotted an old power hacksaw in the yard ,very solid with a large heavy cast iron frame and a dovetailed sliding frame.

I asked the owner what the go was with the hack saw ,he said it yours for $70.00 and it weighs close to 500kgs.
He said it still works .
I said I'll have it.
It has a three phase motor ,but I should be able to convert to a 2hp or 3hp single phase motor easy enough.
It looks to be in good condition and even has a coolant pump.and a quick action vice,that looks like it open top about 14 inches or so.
It looks good for restoration ,and will be good for my workshop activities

Getting it into my ute or trailer wont be a problem as he has a forklift ,just getting it off at home will be a problem.It can stay in the ute till I work out how to get it off .
Disassembly maybe an option.

It was made by Theo Park and sons and I have been trying to do some googling to find out a bit more about the company but all I get is two auction sites that has Theo Park and sons power hack saws listed .It has cast in the side of the heavy cast iron base Theo Park & Sons ,Melbourne,I am assuming its' Melbourne Australia and not Scotland.
Does any one have any info on the history of this maker.?Any info would be greatly appreciated.
In the meantime Ill keep googling
Pics coming later when I get it home on the weekend.

Kev

jmk89
20th May 2008, 09:39 PM
Great pickup

Burnsy
20th May 2008, 09:49 PM
Great score Kev:2tsup:, I try to keep my eyes closed when I go to the scrap mechants here to drop off metal. Most refuse to sell anything as they don't have a secondhand dealers license, consequently you just get crappy when you see great gear that you can't buy. Especially when you know it's scrap value is alot less that it's real value.

China
20th May 2008, 11:01 PM
Woodlee, buy yourself a mobile engine hoist, they are the best thing for moving small machinery. I have one it gets used all the time, it is yet to lift an engine! I moved my Hercus power hacksaw with it.

Woodlee
21st May 2008, 12:53 AM
mmmm brain ticking ( clunk ,crash ) over here I'm sure there is one at work I can borrow ,unless some else has borrowed it .

First time I've been to this guys" yard ,when I go back to pick up the saw I will have a good look around might find some more treasures.Definitely leave Mrs Kev at home too.

Kev.

rodm
21st May 2008, 02:44 AM
Good pick up Kev and you can't beat old iron. A power hacksaw or bandsaw is a must for metal and sure beats dodging sparks from the drop saw.
I visit my local scrap yard every couple of weeks and they hold any usable ali and steel plate or heavy sections for me. I get it for about a quarter new price and have built up a reasonable stock now. It is great doing a job and not having to rush off and buy new stuff. Also doesn't hurt as much when it ends up in the bin. I have also got a lot of bar stock up to 200mm for lathe work. A bit of a risk as some is quite gummy but most is quite good and I have even scored some bright steel from them on the odd occassion.
Worth a good look around so take you time. :wink:

Quasimodo
21st May 2008, 12:40 PM
Theo Park & Sons made the Parkanson range of power hacksaws I believe - very good quality Australian-made machines - seem to go for $300-$500 if late model types.

Woodlee
21st May 2008, 10:49 PM
Quasi ,
Thanks for that .I went and paid for it today and had a better look at it .
It has a hydraulic lift that raises and lowers the blade when the motor is running.
The down feed is also adjustable .The saw is gear driven and the coolant pump is belt driven.
The guard that covers the gear drive is broken and missing the piece that's broken off .I will have to make a couple of blade clamp plates and make a guard from sheet metal to cover the hole where its missing the piece. piece.These are non issues really and will be easy to fix.

Kev.