PDA

View Full Version : To Turn Timber Grey??

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Everyone
I need a product to turn new timber grey. I know there are products to go the other way. Old grey timber back to new. But I need to make new timberlook old. I have heard it's on the market, but have not been able to find it on the web or in the hardware etc.:dunno: Bleach and caustic soda and a few other products will do it over time but the one on the market if I can ever find it changes it quickly.

astrid
21st May 2008, 12:56 AM
what sort of timber?
How grey?

Astrid

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 08:20 AM
Any sort of timber, mainly hardwood, grey/silver as in old boards ie untreated paling fence. weathered,bleached,worn other than leaving it outside for 12 months. There is a producton the market but I just can't find it.

echnidna
21st May 2008, 10:10 AM
seem to recall a solution of either washing soda or baking soda will do it in a few weeks

bsrlee
21st May 2008, 06:14 PM
I've seen several recommendations for dissolving steel wool in vinegar - I'm guessing iron acetate is the stuff that reacts in the wood & turns it grey. Repeated applications make it darker, so if you want a light bleached look, you start with a light coloured wood and don't over do it.

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks Guys I will give these a go, I have used the iron in vinegar but that I think is more for ebonising it goes blackish pretty quickly and rusty nails etc work better than steelwool, The washing soda could do the trick though hadn't thought of that one.
The product I was after is a commercial product called Weathered Grey I think but I don't know who makes it.
Thanks guys.

funkychicken
22nd May 2008, 09:01 PM
Leave it out in the sun..

Claw Hama
22nd May 2008, 09:25 PM
Yes funky I know that will do it but I don't always have 6-12 months to sit around and wait for it to bleach. And I would drink too much beer while I was waiting!!
By the by I haven't had a chance to check up on the Conk yet. I spent half a day today wandering through about 8 acers of Malcom Wards (Boutique Timbers) timber yard. Lots and I mean LOTS of good timber!!:santajump:It was like Christmas.

tea lady
23rd May 2008, 06:18 PM
Accidently came across this on You tube. Looking for something completely differant at the time.:rolleyes: Baking soda greying redwood fence in 1 hour.
YouTube - Graying Redwood

Claw Hama
23rd May 2008, 06:55 PM
Tea Lady your worth all the tea in China, what a gem.
That's even better than I was looking for, it's non toxic no brand sort of not too commercial product, if you know what I mean. I will test it out in the next day or so and let you know how it goes. :thanx2:

tea lady
23rd May 2008, 10:36 PM
Glad to be of service. :graceful curtsy.:D I might try it to. Brown wood is so boring.:rolleyes:

Claw Hama
23rd May 2008, 10:48 PM
Sometimes weathered is better like me and Sean Conery.
:brick:

tea lady
24th May 2008, 12:02 AM
So you're doing reverse plastic surgery. Make it look old and crusty.:D

So what ARE you making old and crusty?:?

And are bricks the way you got your rugged good looks.:d

Claw Hama
24th May 2008, 12:54 AM
Even if I printed my own money I wouldn't get enough to make me look better.
So yeh bricks and too many years hard work have given the crusty and of course rugged touch.:biggrin2:

billym
24th May 2008, 08:17 AM
claw hama : what did you do to you tube???I just tried to open same and got "this video is no longer avail.My curiositie is up how about giving us the info please:):)

Claw Hama
24th May 2008, 09:38 AM
I got the same thing but found if you click on the heading over the Youtube screen it worked. I didn't do it!!! honest.