PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Pal

Bodgia
21st May 2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Does anybody have (or have seen) one of these:

http://www.mortisepal.com/

It's a bit expensive and I know I could probably make a pretty good jig myself but it actually looks like a pretty good option compared with mucking about with a morticinig machine on the drill press. I note that it also allows you to use Dominoes (with the optional, extra template of course). If anybody has got one, did you buy it in Australia?

Cheers,

Steve

djfoggin
21st May 2008, 07:14 AM
looks nice

Rocker
21st May 2008, 07:51 AM
This jig depends on using a template guide, and so is liable to inaccuracy due to the possibility that the router bit may not be exactly concentric with the guide.

The Rocker morticing jig, plans for which can be downloaded free from my blog (see below), can be built for a few dollars and does not suffer from this source of inaccuracy, since the router is positioned by a micro-adjustable fence and by stops.

I suggest that you save yourself $200 and spend a day building my jig instead.

Rocker

echnidna
21st May 2008, 10:13 AM
Looks ok but its limited to about 2" timber thickness.

Build a rocker jig, free plans and a project in itself

Bodgia
22nd May 2008, 11:40 PM
G'Day Rocker,

Thanks for that and all the other replies.

I have tried to download the plans for the Rocker jig and it just isn't happening. It could be because I am on a pretty slow connection at the moment (I have been overseas for the last six months and am missing my broadband, my tools/workshop, and SWMBO - not in that order of course).

I am coming home soon though so I will have another go at downloading the plans when I get back to Australia.

Steve

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 05:20 AM
Bodgia,

If you like to PM me your e-mail address, I could e-mail you the file.

Rocker

Rattrap
23rd May 2008, 10:04 AM
Bodgia, i had the same problem with downloading the plans. I think i got 1 to work.

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 10:59 AM
It downloads OK for me.

Rocker

Rattrap
23rd May 2008, 11:21 AM
The download starts on most of them but then stops at under 100k then just sits there & does nothing

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 12:43 PM
It must be something to do with your computer, or dial-up connection; it downloads completely for me in less than a minute. People who are having difficulty in downloading are welcome to PM me with their e-mail address and I will e-mail them the file.

Rocker

Barry_White
23rd May 2008, 01:28 PM
Rocker

There is certainly something wrong with the site because it just stops working and locks up the browser. Must be something wrong with a setting somewhere.

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 01:34 PM
Barry,

I can only say that it works for me, using Internet Explorer as my browser, and I have not had any complaints until now, although the blog has been operational for about a year.

Rocker

Barry_White
23rd May 2008, 01:42 PM
I just retried in Internet explorer and it downloaded about 300 meg and then just locked up.

So I then retried by right clicking on the link and clicked on save link as and it downloaded ok but when you just left click on the download it locks up.

I think it is to do with the crap server site you are using because it tries to load a popup about some crap on the site and blocks the download.

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 01:47 PM
Barry,

I would be happy enough to move the files to a different storage site, if you can suggest a better one than Mediafire, which admittedly tries to sell all kinds of stuff to ppl who download files from the site; but the good news, for me at least, is that it is free.

Rocker

Big Shed
23rd May 2008, 02:31 PM
I just retried in Internet explorer and it downloaded about 300 meg and then just locked up.

So I then retried by right clicking on the link and clicked on save link as and it downloaded ok but when you just left click on the download it locks up.

I think it is to do with the crap server site you are using because it tries to load a popup about some crap on the site and blocks the download.

Barry, I think it has more to do with Adobe Acrobat than with the site or the browser. I use Firefox and got the same problem, but it is Adobe Acrobat that locks up. I have experienced this problem with Adobe Acrobat and other sites as well, particularly with larger files, this one is >600Kb. I right click the links and use Save Link As in preference to just clicking on the link, whick then tries to open the file in Adobe Acrobat.

The right click and Save Link As method is also much faster, not only with pdf files but also with video files (mp4 and the like).

Hope that helps.

Barry_White
23rd May 2008, 02:35 PM
Rocker

Maybe you could put a note there for people to right click on the link and then click "on save link as". I did that in Mozilla Firefox and it downloaded ok. As I say I think the popups are causing the problem.

Perhaps you could try this site. http://members.freewebs.com/

Big Shed
23rd May 2008, 02:40 PM
Rocker

Maybe you could put a note there for people to right click on the link and then click "on save link as". I did that in Mozilla Firefox and it downloaded ok. As I say I think the popups are causing the problem.

Barry, I have popups blocked in Firefox, I simply don't see them, so they can't be the problem either. Just block popups as a matter of course, makes life much simpler. I also have scripts blocked, I allow scripts on a site by site basis.

Barry_White
23rd May 2008, 02:51 PM
Barry, I think it has more to do with Adobe Acrobat than with the site or the browser. I use Firefox and got the same problem, but it is Adobe Acrobat that locks up. I have experienced this problem with Adobe Acrobat and other sites as well, particularly with larger files, this one is >600Kb. I right click the links and use Save Link As in preference to just clicking on the link, whick then tries to open the file in Adobe Acrobat.

The right click and Save Link As method is also much faster, not only with pdf files but also with video files (mp4 and the like).

Hope that helps.

I have been using full version of Adobe Acrobat for about 8 years and only had that problem when running ver 4. I am now running ver 8 and that is the first time I have had it happen in six years and I download much bigger files than that all the time. I usually use Mozilla and have the popups blocked. I think the popup came when I was using IE because I can't remember if I have them blocked in IE but I do geta warning in Mozilla when it tries so open a popup and I think that is when it stops acrobat.

Bodgia
23rd May 2008, 03:09 PM
Rocker,

PM sent.

Thanks, Steve.

Rattrap
23rd May 2008, 07:49 PM
yup right click -save link as works fine. thanks

Rocker
23rd May 2008, 08:33 PM
Rocker

Barry,

I am not clear as to when you right-click. On the link in my blog? Or on the Mediafire download button? When I right click on the latter, the option is called 'Save Target as'; is that what you mean by save link as?

Rocker

Bodgia
23rd May 2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Rocker,

I don't know what's happened but I just tried downloading from your site again and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Steve

FXST01
23rd May 2008, 10:31 PM
The Rocker morticing jig, plans for which can be downloaded free from my blog (see below), can be built for a few dollars and does not suffer from this source of inaccuracy, since the router is positioned by a micro-adjustable fence and by stops.

I must be tired after a long week, because I don't see your blog Rocker anywhere below. :-

malb
23rd May 2008, 11:27 PM
Just downloaded the jig PDF in 15 seconds with Fresh Download, a download manager running 6 simultaneous channels. No hassles with that.
Thanks Rocker for the file.

Barry_White
23rd May 2008, 11:40 PM
Barry,

I am not clear as to when you right-click. On the link in my blog? Or on the Mediafire download button? When I right click on the latter, the option is called 'Save Target as'; is that what you mean by save link as?

Rocker

Yes that is it. Two different things in IE and Mozilla.

Rocker
24th May 2008, 06:40 AM
I must be tired after a long week, because I don't see your blog Rocker anywhere below. :-

You must be really worn out:rolleyes: There is a link below which says 'Free downloadable plans ... '. Click on that and you will see my blog.

Rocker

FXST01
24th May 2008, 08:51 AM
Tried this page in IE and your link showed up but not in Firefox, oh thats right I have signatures or something turned off. Plus I was looking at the very bottom of the page. :rolleyes:

woodie2
27th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Rocker,
I was looking at your blog and noticed a roll top desk that you built. The desk looks very nice, well done.
I have been looking for a roll top desk for sometime. Would you have the plans for the desk? If so, where could I download them from. I do like that desk.:2tsup:

Mike

Rocker
28th May 2008, 08:32 AM
Mike,

This thread: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=32008&highlight=Roll-top+desk hopefully tells you all you want to know about my rolltop desk. As they say, do a search on the forum, and all will be revealed.

Rocker

gregashton
15th June 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi guys, I came accross this jig in a book i've got, found it interesting and reakon it would be a good project in itself, i can email specs and exploded pics to anyone interested,the thing i like the most is that you can hook up the dust extraction!

pellcorp
16th August 2009, 06:05 PM
Even though this is an old thread, for the record someone has made the Mortise Pal and provided photos.

http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/8240-home-brew-mortise-pal.html

It uses the plastic templates, bushing, etc, which would still require you to pay some part of the $365 purchase price, but hopefully a lot less.

I am not sure what the rules are about posting to such an old thread, but for any who is interested its now recorded!

blackemmons
22nd August 2009, 02:39 AM
Back to Steve's original question.

I have the newer version of the Mortise Pal and find it is a great jig. And yes, it is very accurate. I know some folks make their own out of wood but this is very compact and like I said, it's right on the money. Oh, and did I mention how quick and easy it is to use.

Expensive, yes, just like most wood working equipment that's worth it's salt. Have you ever purchased a measuring tool from Incra or something that has a Festool name on it?

I'm very happy with the purchase of mine.

Thanks,
Jim

pellcorp
12th November 2009, 08:08 AM
In case anyone is still interested the MortisePal has gone through a significant price drop, from $AUD 365 down to $AUD 199.

MortisePal (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category160_1.htm)

I have no affiliation with PWS! I am just considering whether to take the plunge myself at that price!

Cheers
Jason