PDA

View Full Version : What is the BEST (Aust) timber to turn?

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 08:24 AM
General question from a discussion I had recently, what IS the best
timber to turn and finish. You cuts like cheese and polishes like the shin of your true love? :U

TTIT
21st May 2008, 08:56 AM
Conkerberry :2tsup:

(carissa lanceolata)

robyn2839
21st May 2008, 09:37 AM
definitely bribie pine

echnidna
21st May 2008, 10:06 AM
radiata

Sebastiaan56
21st May 2008, 12:05 PM
Myrtle

Sawdust Maker
21st May 2008, 12:20 PM
whatever's free

Terry B
21st May 2008, 12:34 PM
Free:2tsup:

TTIT
21st May 2008, 01:14 PM
definitely bribie pineHaven't tried it - you'll have to send me a chunk Bob :;:U

petersemple
21st May 2008, 03:06 PM
Silky Oak

Groggy
21st May 2008, 03:07 PM
No-one for huon?

robyn2839
21st May 2008, 04:55 PM
No-one for huon?
naah too common for me ,good old bribie pine......bob

robyn2839
21st May 2008, 04:57 PM
Haven't tried it - you'll have to send me a chunk Bob :;:U

have to pm address again.bob

rsser
21st May 2008, 05:13 PM
Search the forum for something like 'turning properties of timbers' ... a very useful guide produced by the Peninsular Woodturners.

If you can't find it, PM me.

weisyboy
21st May 2008, 06:15 PM
for workability i like red cedar you get those nice long curlys that make you feel good and it dosent tear out. swamp mahogany is a verry close second.

but my favorite timber is bloodwood its hard and comes of the tol in chips abut with skill you can get a good finish off the tool and it polishes up really nice.

rsser
21st May 2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Huon cuts like butter, but sanding and finishing need care.

Oz Cedar? Carl has better technique than mine. Poxy stuff for turning IMO but Cliff will weigh in here I expect.

I like Tas Myrtle, esp the burls; and the desert timbers will Claw Hama give you something like a thigh to stroke, along with the bill ;-}

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys just got home from the saw dust mine. Some good choices here, Aust Cedar I realy liked turning it but found it gave me tragic hayfever, even if I went back into the workshop later when all the dust settled. Blackwood was good but had to watch it a little also if I was sweety and rubbed my face I came up with lumps. God I sound like a hypercondract.
Realy liked Tallowood, cut like butter easy to finish the lathe liked it tool because it cut so easy there was very little load on the motor. Brush Box wasn't bad either finished well. Haven't realy tryed the pines yet mostly hard woods.
Free is also good, I have been doing a project with Tasie Myrtle so will give that a go with some of the offcuts. Have some Silky there too but will wait untill I have some offcuts of that. TTIT "Conkerberry" is that a joke? what is Conkerberry? What does it look like and where can I get some.
Keep em coming.

funkychicken
21st May 2008, 07:26 PM
Jacaranda, Camphor

Conkerberry is a real timber. It's very colourful

Claw Hama
21st May 2008, 07:33 PM
What colours are we talking about funky?

funkychicken
21st May 2008, 07:39 PM
Oranges, bit of gray

End of a log:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=37242

And some Conkerberry and Osage
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54020

robyn2839
21st May 2008, 09:10 PM
i also like conkerberry,have been using it a bit lately, also coachwood,and another fav is sandlewood my garage smells of sandalwood,musk camphorlaurel,huon,strawberry jam,and about 3/4sq m western red cedar boards smells quite nice after being closed up for a while........................bob

lubbing5cherubs
21st May 2008, 10:10 PM
Whoa that conkerberry in the picture is just divine. Love to get my hands on some of that one day
Bye Toni

TTIT
22nd May 2008, 12:21 AM
Carl ya gotta get out more! Bloodwood and Oz cedar are possibly 2 of the worst I've turned (IMHO) :o

TTIT
22nd May 2008, 12:30 AM
........... TTIT "Conkerberry" is that a joke? ... is Conkerberry? What does it look like and where can I get some.
Keep em coming.It's beautiful stuff to turn - glossy finish straight of the chisel and polishes up a treat :2tsup:. Dense timber without being too hard - just a shame it doesn't grow very big :C. Take a trip out to western Qld, mainly in the dunes country. Low spreading, spiky bush. Take a long rope to circle the bush, hook it up to the ute and pull - beats the hell out of fighting your way through the branches with a chainsaw in hand.:2tsup:

Tornatus
22nd May 2008, 12:52 AM
Alright, FunkyChicken - where the hell is Meringandan? As soon as I find out, I'm heading your way to "persuade" you to hand over some of that obscene stash of Conkerberry you have flaunted in our faces. All I've ever been able to get are a few miserable branchlets from the T&WWW Show, just enough to make a few glorious pen blanks from - it's stunning stuff!

Likewise Raspberry (not Strawberry) Jam, Pink Gidgee, Dead Finish (the purple one), Weeping Myall and other desert timbers, usually of the Acacia family - they can be as hard as the proverbial hobs of Hell, but take a brilliant finish and display great complexity and depth of character - or "chatoyance", as the poseurs say. Who cares how hard they may be to turn, when you can get such fantastic results.

Since I started my project of turning samples of Australian native timbers in the form of pens, I have discovered just how extensive, varied and beautiful our woods are - they leave all your imported Zebrawoods, Snakewoods and the like for dead, I reckon. The only problem is that some greedy buggers keep great stashes of the stuff to themselves! :D (Kidding, but green with envy...)

Claw Hama
22nd May 2008, 06:47 AM
Take a long rope to circle the bush, hook it up to the ute and pull - beats the hell out of fighting your way through the branches with a chainsaw in hand.:2tsup:

Like your style, no half measures here, tear out the whole tree.
The Conk looks to be a good choice though.

weisyboy
22nd May 2008, 08:54 AM
Carl ya gotta get out more! Bloodwood and Oz cedar are possibly 2 of the worst I've turned (IMHO) :o

na mate ausie red cedar is a dream to turn comes of the tool clean even wiht blunt tools and in nice curlys. bloodwood isnt as fun and the chips go everyware but it comes off clean with the right techinique and has amazing coulor and grain. love the stuff:2tsup:.

Manuka Jock
22nd May 2008, 01:45 PM
Tawhairaunui Red Beech (nothofagus fusca) .
It was a plain chunk , straight grained . turned like cheese .
I have yet to work a piece that has curly grain , and would dearly love to turn a burl :)

ticklingmedusa
22nd May 2008, 02:50 PM
Lots of the eucalypts & some melaleucas grow locally.
We have red ironbark all over here in S. Cal.
I had some interesting results turning it green.
My favourite imported oz timber would have to be Jarrah burl. :2tsup:
I also really enjoyed spinning tas rose myrtle, black acacia, sassafras
and red & black mallee,

My sweetie will only cut cheese if i'm not looking. :oo: :D
tm

JDarvall
22nd May 2008, 07:05 PM
I've been turning vitex lately. Beautiful. Straight grained stuff though of coarse. A lot of the stuff I've got is a bit knarly.

funkychicken
22nd May 2008, 08:41 PM

I'd have to agree with you there

Alright, FunkyChicken - where the hell is Meringandan? As soon as I find out, I'm heading your way to "persuade" you to hand over some of that obscene stash of Conkerberry you have flaunted in our faces.

Sadly that stash wasn't mine:no:

Claw Hama
22nd May 2008, 09:40 PM
Ticklingmedusa, sounds like you have good access to Ausie timber. I didn't
realise we sent that much over seas.

Getting lots of good choices on this thread we just have to find samples of it all. And then get the time to turn. I'll have to grow another couple of arms.:whip:

mick61
22nd May 2008, 10:40 PM
G`day I would vote for Huon Conkerberry Claret Ash most Fruit Woods. Rsser is right about sanding Huon. But I think the most outstanding for turning aswell as finishing would have to be English Box.
Mick

Claw Hama
22nd May 2008, 11:20 PM
I was checking out English box today at Mal Wards Boutique Timber yard seemed quite light, I was looking at it for furniture not turning but I can see now it could be a good turning timber.

powderpost
22nd May 2008, 11:35 PM
Been working with wood for more than 50 years, and turned wood from balsa to gidgee. They all respond well to a good technique. the only trees I have found pretty much difficult to turn are paw paw tree, banana tree, lavatree, daintree and pantree? :) I agree with others that red cedar, like barramundi, is over rated and over priced. White beech is my pick.
Jim

Claw Hama
23rd May 2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Jim, I have a white beech slab I could take a slice off to try. I haven't turned anything that pale, it would be a nice change. At least it won't be like Paduke and turn the whole workshop Orange.

Rum Pig
23rd May 2008, 08:57 AM
For me I would pick Camphor for easy turning and kerosene wood for looks but as said by other post free wood is always the best. Another favorite is Black wattle but am still learning. lots more timber to try.

artme
23rd May 2008, 09:07 AM
Conkerberry, Sandalwood, Huon, Black Cypress,White Cypress, Leatherwood, Brushbox,Native Gardenia, Golden Penda, Most Grevillias, all 2 of the Mellaleucas I've tried, Bottlebrushes, Silver Ash,Wilga (stinks but turns well), Tas Myrtle Burl.

There are others that are satisfying when finished, like Red Cedar, and th Casuarinas and Allocasuarinas. They just take a lot of patience.

weisyboy
23rd May 2008, 11:32 AM
what has everyone got against red cedar it is bloudy goor to turn.:2tsup:

ss_11000
23rd May 2008, 04:48 PM
carl. i havent turned much red cedar ( only 2 bowls and a few handles ). it cuts really quickly in my experience but it tears out something shocking!!!

weisyboy
23rd May 2008, 05:18 PM
i havent had any problems with tear out but then i rarly do.

rsser
23rd May 2008, 05:35 PM
Depends on what tool you use.

And how hard you go at it and how much you take out at a pass.

weisyboy
23rd May 2008, 05:58 PM
using a spindle gouge and the faster the better. ofcorse fine finishing cuts will always need to be taken on any timber.:2tsup:

ss_11000
23rd May 2008, 06:10 PM
carl, do you make many bowls ( faceplate work in general ) or just spindle stuff?

with the RC i turned, there was about a quadrant of the bowl that had grain tearout on it.

rsser
23rd May 2008, 06:52 PM
Good point Stirlo.

Glad one of us is awake ;-}

Claw Hama
23rd May 2008, 07:09 PM
I liked using Cedar although yes you do have to do fine cuts etc to avoid tearout but it was the rotten hayfever, sneezing etc it gave me, bludy anoying. This has become a good topic, I'm luvin it!

hughie
23rd May 2008, 07:48 PM
Well if I could find some. I would go for Lignum Vitae, it turns like plastic and finishes like you would not believe. But today its hard to get and $$$$$$$$$,so Gidgee would be the next choice.

Manuka Jock
23rd May 2008, 07:53 PM
Lignum Vitae ?
Is that the one that lawn bowls are made from ?

madcraft
23rd May 2008, 10:01 PM
what has everyone got against red cedar it is bloudy goor to turn.:2tsup:

I don't know about RC but Spanish cedar was fun to work with if the tools are sharp { lots of tear out if they are a bit blunt } Sands good and finishes great with Danish oil

Mango would be my favorite at the moment both Spindle and Bowl turn , Green and Seasoned
Cuts nicely and a real funky smell, Sands and Finish to a glassy finish with Danish
Glenn

madcraft
23rd May 2008, 10:02 PM
Well if I could find some. I would go for Lignum Vitae, it turns like plastic and finishes like you would not believe. But today its hard to get and $$$$$$$$$,so Gidgee would be the next choice.

I thought Lignum Vitae was like Aus Rosewood and protected ?

Cheers
Glenn

weisyboy
23rd May 2008, 10:54 PM
i do mainly bowls but a bit of sindle as well.

i do keep my chisels dead sharp honing regularly.

robyn2839
23rd May 2008, 10:56 PM
I thought Lignum Vitae was like Aus Rosewood and protected ?

Cheers
Glenn
is australian rosewood protected ?didn't know that (must tell my bandsaw)......bob

TTIT
24th May 2008, 12:04 AM
News to me too Bob - what am I gonna do with the cube I've got now!!:C - will have to surrender it I suppose.:~

Yeah right!:;:U

Claw Hama
24th May 2008, 12:40 AM
I'm sure it's ok if it just falls down dead of it's own accord.
:blowup:

hughie
24th May 2008, 01:29 AM
Dunno but heres a good site for info and timber

http://www.lignum-vitae.com/story.htm

Claw Hama
24th May 2008, 09:56 AM
So does anyone in Australian sell Lignum Vitae??? hmm?? Like to turn up another carving mallet from this wood. That site was interesting.
:club:

ticklingmedusa
24th May 2008, 10:31 AM
Lignum vitae is great to turn.
Its available here in the states but somewhat expensive.
Is anybody growing Lignum in Oz?
Seems like it might do well in some zones.
Another timber with very similar working properties is Verawood.
It has a nice citrus aroma when you work it.
Have a look here http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/verawood.htm

Chipman
24th May 2008, 10:46 AM
Verawood looks interesting... Thanks for the info ticklingmedusa. If I ever find any here in Australia, I will sure like to try it out.

Chipman:)

Anne Munro
29th May 2008, 12:04 AM
I like huon but I also like Black Heart Sassafrass - another Tassie wood. I think it is very underrated.

woodwork wally
30th May 2008, 10:07 PM
Bloody oath HUON for me As said care needed in finishing but turner's dream
Wood W Wally

Sawdust Maker
30th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Dunno but heres a good site for info and timber

http://www.lignum-vitae.com/story.htm

and for those whom don't have a english to latin dictionary (don't ask) Lignum = wood/timber

Claw Hama
30th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Black Heart Sas could be nice, will put high on the list of timber to try.

mick61
30th May 2008, 11:05 PM
Don`t be too keen it tends to tear in the end grain.
Mick

Claw Hama
31st May 2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Mick, I'll make sure I put that extra bit of edge on the tools.:shakehands: