PDA

View Full Version : Welshman's Reef a fizzer

Welshman's Nomore
22nd February 2000, 04:19 PM
Having taken into consideration all the advertising about the swap meet at Welshman' Reef we decided to make a weekend of it. What a DISAPPOINTMENT!! Where were the thousands of sellers and the 5000 buyers? Wet weather does not keep the dedicated woodworkers away. Was it false advertising?
I for one will not be making the trip next year. What say others??

RETIRED
22nd February 2000, 05:31 PM
Gooday.

I normally don't respond to posts without email addresses or proper names, however in this case I will make an exception.

Where were the thousands of sellers and the 5000 buyers?

Nowhere was it stated that there were thousands of sellers. I think that in view of all the other woodie things on that w/e (scroll saw thingy at Wodonga, Moe and an alternative field day and the chainsaw championships at Seymour) they did well. All things stated on the home page were there.

Wet weather does not keep the dedicated woodworkers away.

The rain did force some sellers to cancel at the last moment (20 in all, I think)

As for the crowds being away see the other paragraph about other venues. Most clubs that have an annual pilgrimage to the swap meet went to other venues.

I for one had a great day catching up with friends.

About one thing you are correct, you won't be there next year because it won't be either.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

[This message has been edited by (edited 22 February 2000).]

Welshman's Nomore
23rd February 2000, 12:10 PM

Refer to main page of Maine Woodworkers Web Site for hype about expectations of Swapmeet.

Obviously country people are easily satisfied!!

RETIRED
23rd February 2000, 12:38 PM
Gooday.

WN, I have checked out the page re. thousands of sellers. Zip. Reference is made to the number of buyers expected, but we all expect more than we get. THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO THOUSANDS OF SELLERS.

------------------
Ian () Robertson

RETIRED
23rd February 2000, 05:37 PM
Gooday.

WN, I would suggest that you check out your own companies web site under disclaimers. This site also has a similar one except of course we are not dealing with other peoples money.

------------------
Ian () Robertson

Neil Ellis
25th February 2000, 12:17 AM
My Dear Welshman's Nomore

You sir obviously need to take a few lessons in reading English. I know it has already been pointed out to you but for the sake of clarity I am going to do it again. Nowhere does it state that there would be thousands of stall holders I guess you just wrote that one in yourself. Had you learned to read properly you would have also seen that it was the last Swap Meet. (That would have been the bit written in purple and highlighted with a bright yellow background) I realize it could possibly have been missed, but not by an English reading, sighted person.

Maybe you think someone should apologize to you for what you seem to feel is false advertising, when it says: “as many as 5,000 buyers expected to attend.” Think again sport!! There is nothing wrong with a group being optimistic and hoping to break their previous best attendance of almost 4,000.

The club has no control over the number of stall holders that come to an event such as this. I was there, in the rain at 7am when 4 well travelled stall holders had a conference and decided to pull out because it looked like the rain had set in for the day. (more fool them) I have spoken to a number of others who looked out of their windows at 5am saw the pouring rain and decided to stay in bed. We had 19 confirmed stall holders pull out and a further dozen or more unconfirmed ones who were also no shows.

To add to this the Council of Victorian Woodworking Clubs in their wisdom decided to hold their meeting at the centrally located National Scroll Saw Exhibition, Wadonga thus taking a number of regular clubs away from our event. By the way, I believe our “disappointing” event had almost twice the number of visitors of that one. I am also told that we out grossed Moe and National Chainsaw Carving Competition what more do you want???

For 13 years a club of 8 woodies has put on an event so popular that during that time it has attracted around 30,000 people. This dedicated band deserve to be congratulated wholeheartedly for what they have done for woodworking in Victoria. Geoff Auhl our secretary work for 3 weeks solid around 10 to 12 hours a day bringing all of this together. At the last minute the Cappuccino Man pulled and Geoff made some 15 STD phone calls to try and replace him. Unfortunately to no avail. One week before the event we had lost all of the non-woodworking crafts people due to ill health and a dozen other excuses, yet Geoff still managed, through countless phone calls, to arrange for a number of demonstrators including the silk dying, pyrography, etc. All this and much more to present a good show for all.

29,999 satisfied woodies and one whinging, ungrateful, cretin, YOU!!!. How dare you call yourself a woodie. You may be a woodworker but you are not now and never will be a woodie. You are not in the same class. The real woodies were there and always have been. They are the ones who come to an event like this and have a ball whether there are hundreds of stalls or half a dozen, whether it is 110deg in the shade or –10deg in front of the fire.

You wrote: What a DISAPPOINTMENT!! The only DISAPPOINTMENT Sir, is you. YOU SHOULD HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!!! Better still, go join a club and see what you can do to further the advancement of woodworking in Victoria. Maybe you can channel some of that negative energy you seem to have an abundance of, into doing some good, rather than bagging others.

Very sincerely.

Neil Ellis
President: Maine Woodworkers Inc

P.S. Congratulations to the members of Maine Woodworkers Inc for staging such a wonderful event over the last 13 years. You can all hold your heads up high in the knowledge that you have constantly staged the most successful event of its kind in Australia and one of the biggest in rural Victoria. Unfortunately we went out on a less than expected high note. But it was great while it lasted. I am very proud of you all. WELL DONE!!!

To all who have patronized the Swap Meet over the years, both stall holders and buyers I would like to say thank you for your support.

To “WELSHMAN’S NOMORE” We even thank you for attending. We got your money and you had a miserable time. Now that’s what I call poetic justice.

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Neil Ellis and do not necessarily reflect those of the members of Maine Woodworkers Inc.YET!! I haven’t told them.

S Hayward
25th February 2000, 06:58 PM
Well Neil!!
I love your BB. It makes for an entertaining read on a regular basis. Mr WN it would seem, is a supervisor. Most people rise to such a position after discovering they have trouble actually getting the job done. It's always easier to tell someone else how to do it. I didn't get to your meet but I did spend a few days in VIC this week and noted that pretty much the state has been on water restictions for the past few years and things in the country areas are looking a bit ****house. If you guys were lucky enough to get a bit of rain then good on you. What mister WN should have done was strip off to his birthday suit and run around the lawn thanking the gods for a bit of moisture from above. Trust me, it's great fun!!!
Mr WN never mentioned how full his wallet was. Was he seriously wanting part with his cash or is he just another of those who was looking for a bit of free entertainment. Who cares anyway. There are always some who expect a monumental show and get a little frustrated when it's all over in a few minutes. Bit like a nooky can be sometimes. Keep up the good work Neil and hope you and Beaut have a top time in NSW.
Regards
Shaun.

S Hayward
25th February 2000, 07:03 PM
Ps
Would Mr WN like to let on what his company's web address is? I would be interested in having a peek at those disclaimers.
Anonomously yours.
Shaun!!.

Neil Ellis
26th February 2000, 03:16 AM
Apologies to anyone who is offended by my reply to Welshmans Nomore.

If you have a genuine gripe about the Swap Meet please feel free to voice your oppinion here. I can guarantee that you will not receive the same treatment unless you also intend to hide behind total anonymity.

Welshmans Nomore if you still feel so strongly that it was such a disappointment, post a reply here with your name and address and I will see to it that you receive a full refund of your $2 entry fee.

Neil Ellis