PDA

View Full Version : Please explain

Shaun Hayward
28th May 1999, 06:12 PM
Hi Neil
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you need such a complex registration system to participate in this new forum you have set up. I tried to post a message a day or so back but of course didn't have a password so missed an oppurtunity. Many would probably not ever bother to return yet may have heaps of useful and informative contributions. Further, you don't want this used for advertising yet I regularly saw messages from yourself posted on the Woodart board that could only be described as commercial in nature. Ainslie also has a no advertising policy.
Lastly, could you explain why I am listed as a junior member and how ( if ) do I become a senior member?
Having said all that, I do support any forum that encourages dialouge between woodies and I wish this new BB well. It would be nice if it was simpler to access and more user friendly though.
Cheers
Shaun.

RETIRED
29th May 1999, 09:35 AM
Shaun, this is not the only bb you have to register to use. If you read the FAQ you will find the answer to most of your questions. According to the administrators you become a senior member after a certain number of posts. Hope this helps

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Neil Ellis
30th May 1999, 12:56 AM
Hi Shaun

Firstly let me apologise for the odd teething problem. I had to go to Melbourne about 2 hours after the I first saw the completed Bulletin Board. Unfortunately most of the fine tuning hadn't been done then and we announced it's arrival a little prematurely. I believe it was off the air both Thursday and Friday nights. Something completely out of my control even if I had been around.

You are right, the registration system is a little complex and almost made me shy away from this style of BB but after careful consideration I have decided that this slightly more controlled type of board is definitely the way I wish to go. It will save lots of time for people who keep coming back. You won't have to be filling in all the fields each time you wish to make or reply to a posting. And this should make navigating the board much quicker and simpler for everyone.

Modern technology has finally caught up with the humble bulletin board, which has remained basically unchanged since the first modems, when the BB was both in its infancy and its prime. I think you will find that when Ainsley's new board goes up it will be similar, as are a good many others around the world.

Anyone who registers should receive their password within minutes (if not seconds) of the registration. I am sure that if a person wishes to be a participant in the Bulletin Board that they will take the time to register for a year. Especially if they have a genuine interest and need to communicate with like minded people.

Regarding advertising: I do want advertising and wholeheartedly encourage it. So long as it goes onto the Announcements Forum and not into the general interest group forums. Unfortunately this was one of the pieces of fine tuning that was still to be done when I had to go to Melbourne. I had been hoping to have the whole thing up and running by last Monday but didn't get it till Thursday.

You will notice that there are now 7 Forums - WOODTURNING, FINISHING, WOODCARVING, GENERAL WOODWORK, ANNOUNCEMENTS, HAND TOOLS & MACHINERY and TIMBER. You should also see a change in the wording of the rules that encourages advertising in the right place for woodworking and related information. I personally have no problem with the fact that I announced new products or newcomers to our web site on Ainsley's BB and have no problem with her doing the same on this one if she wishes. I have always supported her site with information and links from our site to hers, along with free advertising in the Australian Woodworkers Calendar etc. Would that I got the same in return.

Everyone is listed as a junior member (including me) until they have had 21 postings then they become a full member. Don't ask me why, it is just a quirky part of the BB. (The advised # of listings before full membership is 31. I revised this down to 21 - The coming of age as it were)

Stick with it Shaun. I'm sure you will eventually come to like this new format and I hope you will be a willing participant who derives great pleasure from it.

Best regards Shaun

Neil Ellis
Webmaster - Woodworking Australia

Shaun Hayward
31st May 1999, 06:41 PM
G'Day Neil
You have answered my concerns and I see some of the things you mentioned are already happening. ie extra topics.
I have been having trouble sending a reply. Earlier today I put in the wrong password a couple of times and was booted out. The message typed was lost and I had to start over. Can you change the setup to ask for a new password to be entered without losing the message? This time when I logged in the password came up automatically. Didn't do that this morning. I hope this feedback helps to iron out those bugs.
See you in the shavings
Regards
Shaun

Neil Ellis
31st May 1999, 07:18 PM
Hi Shaun

Have been having all sorts of teething problems but I am assured they are all ironed out now.

Your details should be stored on your hard drive as cookies (if your computer accepts them) this way they should come up automatically whenever you use the BB. Sounds great in theory.

The first thing I did was change my password to something I could remember.

The BB was off the air Thurs, Fri & Sun nights and for a good part of today, due to a problem with the virtual server. You were one of the lucky ones who managed to get through. Hope we haven't lost too many newies with the problems.

It will get easier. Thanks for the feedback Shaun.

Best regards
Neil

Ian007
10th February 2006, 11:15 PM
I wonder what ever happened to Shaun Hayward?

Do I now hold the record re posting to an old thread:p :p :p :p :p

Ian007
10th February 2006, 11:44 PM
OK you win.

A least a bloke with the right name gets it:D :D

maglite
10th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Not much on tonite Ian:p

Ian007
11th February 2006, 12:01 AM
just having a bit of a stir.

RETIRED
11th February 2006, 06:37 AM
Very gracious Sir.:D

Bob38S
11th February 2006, 04:15 PM
G'day,
Could you please advise if there is a timeout on the forum. I have had a number of occasions now where I have only been reading/searching and the box section at the bottom goes from "You may post to you may not post". There does not appear to be any set time - if you can check you will see that so far today I have had to log in 3 times. Just curious - is it me and my machine or is there something I have missed.
Regards, and thanks,
Bob

This is a copy of the email I sent 06/02/2006 - probably what I have read above in the posts explains it - [I hope]

outback
11th February 2006, 04:49 PM
Seven years and this thread still hasn't timed out, so I guess not. (Isn't that a quaint way to put it, ....Grandpa just timed out in his sleep) :D

RETIRED
11th February 2006, 11:13 PM
G'day,
Could you please advise if there is a timeout on the forum. I have had a number of occasions now where I have only been reading/searching and the box section at the bottom goes from "You may post to you may not post". There does not appear to be any set time - if you can check you will see that so far today I have had to log in 3 times. Just curious - is it me and my machine or is there something I have missed.
Regards, and thanks,
Bob

This is a copy of the email I sent 06/02/2006 - probably what I have read above in the posts explains it - [I hope]Yes there is. 15 Minutes of inactivity on the server.

Shaun
6th June 2008, 05:28 PM
What happened to Shaun Hayward? Still here. Just been a bit busy the past few years. I see this tread is still going. Wonder if anyone is still looking at it!! I have a new user name since I was last on.
Happy woodworking.
Shaun

Harry72
7th June 2008, 01:52 AM
Welcome back... hope your not still puzzled:D

woodie2
8th June 2008, 02:13 AM
long time between drinks on this thread :)

Hope there are more woodworkerson the net tonight.

Mike

Shaun
7th September 2008, 10:53 PM
Yes Neil
Still puzzled!!:?

Ashore
8th September 2008, 01:28 AM
Why did you need a new name :? did you forget who you were....er ...are and why ask what happened to you , don't you remember , cause if you don't know then I doubt if anyone here will :doh:

RicB
8th September 2008, 02:05 PM
Ashore, do yopu live in the middle of the dessert?

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

As I type this at work I can hear music coming from the hangar next door, on the way home I will hear the "doof doof" from the P platers cars, and once I get home I will hear the bl;oke next door in his shed listening to his radio, No background music I wish :aargh:

Ashore
9th September 2008, 02:04 AM
Ashore, do yopu live in the middle of the dessert?

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

As I type this at work I can hear music coming from the hangar next door, on the way home I will hear the "doof doof" from the P platers cars, and once I get home I will hear the bl;oke next door in his shed listening to his radio, No background music I wish :aargh:
Thats only noise not background music " study the zen masters " and you will be able to tell , and if you study long enough and hard enough you might even be able to understand a Stanley 55

( from one who is still trying )

RicB
10th September 2008, 07:28 PM
Thats only noise not background music " study the zen masters " and you will be able to tell , and if you study long enough and hard enough you might even be able to understand a Stanley 55

( from one who is still trying )

Eh??????

ubeaut
10th September 2008, 10:45 PM
Yes Neil
Still puzzled!!:?
What the????????

ME TOO???

http://www.warpreality.com/forum/smile/icon_smile_intel.gif

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71616&d=1208678984

Neil :dunno:

Shaun
11th September 2008, 07:08 PM
Neil
I'm just puzzled and confused about most things these days. You learn to accept that and not worry, it's a stress avoidance mechanism!!
Cheers
Shaun:U

Master Splinter
11th September 2008, 07:35 PM
Well, for the uninitiated - the reason why you have a 'logon to post' system on a messageboard is to prevent the board getting auto-spammed by spambots or trolled (the novelty of every single thread filling with posts consisting of internet memes or pictures of the goatse.cx guy, tubgirl or lemonparty wears off rather quickly).

BrettC
13th September 2008, 04:06 PM
:missing: