PDA

View Full Version : Finish on Jarrah Workbench?

sandman
7th February 2004, 10:33 AM
Am getting close to finishing my new workbench made from recycled Jarrah. Magnificent looking timber after some work.
I would like some suggestions on what is best to finish job with.
I'm sanding to 240G to avoid any rough finish (splinters).
I was thinking some sort of oil finish (Triton, Danish, Decking etc) but would like to hear from others in the "know"!

Regards Sandman.:cool:

bigAl
7th February 2004, 11:29 AM
Hi sandman,

I've been thinking on the same thing for a while.

For what it's worth, my Grandfathers Bench was finished in linseed oil and it's still going strong (C1911).

TOMARTOM
7th February 2004, 12:26 PM
I recently made a new workbench also out of Jarrah, I too was unsure of the finish, but I was persuaded by a sales rep for a high quality wood oil company to use a varnish/NC, or similar because oil is great, but if you by chance spill glue or other penetrating substances on the surface then It will blemish. I in hindsight would have used a 2pak hard as you can get finish(maybee something similar to what timber floors are done in (Wattle 7008 A&B). in a gloss.

If you have assembly benches and are certain that no penetrating liquids would spill then a oil based finish would be great.

I would reccomend Organoil if oil is to be used.

regards
tony

Gumby
8th February 2004, 09:20 AM
My oregon top has Organoil - Hard Burnishing Oil on it. It's recommended for floors and benchtops and the finish is a nice look.
Check out www.organoil.com.au

Robert WA
8th February 2004, 11:14 AM
It is a workbench!!!
Mine, Jarrah and Karri, is finished with whatever got spilled on it over the past 10 years.

Gumby
8th February 2004, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert WA
[B]It is a workbench!!!

And a nice looking one too ! :D

DarrylF
8th February 2004, 10:23 PM
Rustin's Danish Oil - brilliant stuff. Easily repaired, penetrates, wears well, easy to apply, goes a long way.

Dusty
12th February 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Robert WA
It is a workbench!!!
Excellent point.
This is the most important thing to remember.

My suggestion is that you put on two coats of Wattyl Matt Estapol, cutting it back between each coat, then, cut it back again and do a final coat with Wattyl's Scandinavian Teak Oil. This finish in my opinion will give you the best of both worlds. The look and feel of an oiled masterpiece, with the depth and protection of the Estapol.
When it gets a bit ratty looking, a light cut back and more oil will bring it back up to scratch.

derekcohen
12th February 2004, 05:16 PM
I agree, it's a workbench.

Ideally the finish needs to be easily replaced since the bench top is likely to be refinished every now and then (you do want to keep it flat, don't you?). I'd avoid anything as durable as a varnish and aim for a finish that can be brushed/rubbed over the existing finish and just blend in.

On my Karri bench I use a light coat of Danish Oil.

Regards from Perth

Derek

behindblueeyes
23rd February 2004, 03:54 PM
Danish oil or Tung oil,

Easy to rejuvenate.

andreg
24th February 2004, 02:10 PM
I am going to use some recycled jarrah to make benchtops for my new kitchen. What would be the best finish without getting that plastickity look. I accept that if it does get scratched a little I may have to rub it back and re-apply the finish, but I am prepared for that. Any ideas please?

andreg
24th February 2004, 02:54 PM
Don't worry. Got my fingers off their big fat butts and used the search engine and found all that I am looking for. Thanks anyway.

Regards